American Eagle Synthetic Jacket for $.16 at TargetSports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Eagle Synthetic Jacket for $.16 at TargetSports

With Rebate unfortunately. My question however is this; is this stuff any good? Does the jacket actually work, or does the plastic melt and gum up the barrel. For that price I'm curious but I also don't want to wreck my PPQ.

• HyFiveGuns
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
    With Rebate unfortunately. My question however is this; is this stuff any good? Does the jacket actually work, or does the plastic melt and gum up the barrel. For that price I'm curious but I also don't want to wreck my PPQ.
    I bought these a while ago to try and cut down on my lead exposure. Shot about 5 boxes of them. They did not melt and gum up the barrel at all but I don't think they kept the barrels any cleaner as they claim. Haven't bought them again either because they were not better or worse than regular FMJ rounds and they were more expensive for a reason I couldn't tell.

Leave a comment:

• crashguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post

It was mainly to keep lead dust down at the NYPD ranges to protect shooters and mostly instructors who were exposed to it on a daily basis. It had nothing to do with barrel wear although I'm sure that was touted as a selling point. In those days you fired 50 rounds per year in qualification. Hardly enough to produce any wear over an officers entire career. Ballistics sucked. The round barely if at all deformed. The rifling imprinted on that round BETTER than jacketed rounds. PD brass liked it because the officers who fired rounds were more easily identified as to who struck what. They could match bullets to guns MORE easily.
    I handled a homicide involving a drug dealer who was previously shot in the eye by an off duty cop whom he had tried to rob. The perp survived, served time and went on about his life until he was killed by a rival dealer with a .45 to the chest. The OR Dr. showed me the rounds that he recovered from the perps body. The .45 mushroomed beautifully, a virtual work of art. The .38 Nyclad, despite being in the perps head for many years was in absolutely perfect shape. Still blue, no deformation whatsoever and rifling perfectly intact. If so inclined, I could have reloaded the damn thing and shot it again.

Leave a comment:

• Yaphank Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    Back in the day, the was a nylon clad bullet that was popular in LE circles called Nyclad. They Bullets minimized wear on barrels. A side effect was that the rifling did not cut impressions into the bullets the way it did to lead or jacketed bullets. From a forensic ballistic perspective, you could not match a crime bullet to a specific gun/ barrel. I am unaware of any real negatives to the non metallic bullets.
    It was mainly to keep lead dust down at the NYPD ranges to protect shooters and mostly instructors who were exposed to it on a daily basis. It had nothing to do with barrel wear although I'm sure that was touted as a selling point. In those days you fired 50 rounds per year in qualification. Hardly enough to produce any wear over an officers entire career. Ballistics sucked. The round barely if at all deformed. The rifling imprinted on that round BETTER than jacketed rounds. PD brass liked it because the officers who fired rounds were more easily identified as to who struck what. They could match bullets to guns MORE easily.
    I handled a homicide involving a drug dealer who was previously shot in the eye by an off duty cop whom he had tried to rob. The perp survived, served time and went on about his life until he was killed by a rival dealer with a .45 to the chest. The OR Dr. showed me the rounds that he recovered from the perps body. The .45 mushroomed beautifully, a virtual work of art. The .38 Nyclad, despite being in the perps head for many years was in absolutely perfect shape. Still blue, no deformation whatsoever and rifling perfectly intact. If so inclined, I could have reloaded the damn thing and shot it again.

Leave a comment:

• Ef13
    replied
    The rebate is on all AE ammo. For a few pennies more buy the fmj's. I don't have any personal experience but the whopping 5 reviews seems mixed.

Leave a comment:

• Genghis Khan
    replied
    Back in the day, the was a nylon clad bullet that was popular in LE circles called Nyclad. They Bullets minimized wear on barrels. A side effect was that the rifling did not cut impressions into the bullets the way it did to lead or jacketed bullets. From a forensic ballistic perspective, you could not match a crime bullet to a specific gun/ barrel. I am unaware of any real negatives to the non metallic bullets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X