Appleseed - Hopewell Junction, NY After Action report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appleseed - Hopewell Junction, NY After Action report

This past weekend several Patriots gathered at the Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club up in Hopewell Junction, NY.

Special thanks to ALL involved in this event.
    The Club hosted us with open arms (as usual) and served everyone lunch in their well equipped Club House.

Saturday we were met with quite a downpour which caused us to retreat to that Clubhouse but we used this time for lunch and our History presentation.
    This "Storm" did put us a little behind schedule but we all took it in stride and continued on.
    Sunday was beautiful. Bright Sunshine greeted us throughout the day and the temperature got "up there". Can I say HOT?

All continued on with our Shoot and persisted chasing that Rifleman Patch.
    A prior engagement caused me to leave mid day Sunday but a follow up call verified we now have 1 new Rifleman and 1 new Instructor from this event.
    That's a success IMO.

It was also great to see a few LIGC members on the line too.

Here's our group photo.......................

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
    President T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Congrats to the new rifleman and instructor.

Comment

Whats that green shit under you feet?

Comment

• ChiefSailer
        ChiefSailer commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to ask the same thing. Looks nice.

Cool. I was there for a bit on Sunday. Shot a couple of truly embarrassing AQT's and bounced after lunch.

Seemed like a good crew although, not gonna lie, there were times when I felt like grabbing an orange hat and getting down in the weeds with a couple of shooters.

Old habits I guess.

Comment

• Happy Camper
        Happy Camper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup that was me.

• SteveT
        SteveT commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh! A small world. It was a pleasure to chat over lunch.

• Happy Camper
        Happy Camper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it was. Good to meet you and good luck at your next Appleseed.

I'll keep my feedback short....

My first Appleseed, I had a fantastic time and learned so much. It was the beginning of something wonderful for me. I'll be back, no question. Many thanks to _ALL_ involved.

Two special shout outs:
      1) Bob, for taking me under his wing, always encouraging me and never too busy to answer my questions.
      2) Rick, for sharing his historical notes with me. I'm looking forward to a lazy afternoon this week, in the yard, reading.

Day one, I managed to score a 181 AQT and ended the day with a (marginally) perfect redcoat score, exceeding my own expectations. Very happy.
      Day two, change of ammo and nursing a bruised rib, I was shockingly bad. I just couldn't find my zone. AQT 140 ish. A shadow of my former self. Such is life.

Result: I CAN do it, I just need to be more consistent.

Some take-away actions for me:

1) Work on my natural point of aim, use bone and don't try to muscle it.
      2) The sitting position was not comfortable, groups all over the place. I need to find a sitting position that works for me.
      3) Order a copy of "Paul Revere's Ride", because the historical side of Appleseed is 50% of the fun, I'd like to dig into the detail a little more.

A great weekend and incredible value for money, highly recommended.
      NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post

My first Appleseed, I had a fantastic time and learned so much. It was the beginning of something wonderful for me. I'll be back, no question. Many thanks to _ALL_ involved.

Two special shout outs:
        1) Bob, for taking me under his wing, always encouraging me and never too busy to answer my questions.
        2) Rick, for sharing his historical notes with me. I'm looking forward to a lazy afternoon this week, in the yard, reading.

Day one, I managed to score a 181 AQT and ended the day with a (marginally) perfect redcoat score, exceeding my own expectations. Very happy.
        Day two, change of ammo and nursing a bruised rib, I was shockingly bad. I just couldn't find my zone. AQT 140 ish. A shadow of my former self. Such is life.

2) The sitting position was not comfortable, groups all over the place. I need to find a sitting position that works for me.
        3) Order a copy of "Paul Revere's Ride", because the historical side of Appleseed is 50% of the fun, I'd like to dig into the detail a little more.

I prefer the kneeling position, first appleseed almost crippled myself trying the sitting position 3/4 of the day, switched it to kneeling shot my first rifleman the next day using that position.
        Last edited by Dchilde; 06-13-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Two special shout outs:

Appleseed is a process of discovery and correction. I came from a competitive shooting background and had to shed some ego retained old habits and accept the program, and adapt and apply until it all came together. After each Appleseed I instantly make a short list of what I need to fix, what the course of fire consists of as far as rounds/ positions/ and time, and list generalized helps I pick up from other participants.. Review the list before the next event. Thats where your growth occurs.
          Last edited by Grifhunter; 06-14-2016, 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
          Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Two special shout outs:

The sitting position was a problem for me also until I decided to practice a lot at home for a few weeks before the Appleseed event. I tried various positions either sitting or kneeling etc. Stretching (yoga maybe?) prior to the event also helps.
            Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

At Appleseed we have a saying........"Improvise, Adapt & Overcome".
              We teach a few different "styles" of shooting in the sitting position. Kneeling also being acceptable. We're all different and we also explain that a Shooter should NOT make his body do something it's not capable of doing. Don't hurt yourself. Some Shooters have difficulty in the prone position. What we teach is the "ideal" method of obtaining a certain position but many of us (myself included) just can't get our bodies to cooperate. Never "force" yourself to get into any position that just isn't going to fair well. You need to find a position that you're capable of and comfortable in, although "comfort" may not be achievable.
              Practice and find what is best for you.

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
              President T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Comment

This is my first time posting here but figured this was a good place to start. This was my first Appleseed and I have to say WOW, it was so much more then I was expecting. The history part was great as I enjoy american history. The shooting part was informative and I learned a few things along the way. I have past experience with competitive High Power matches, but found shooting .22 rifle scoped to be a challenge. The instructors were great, they took the time to help out (always with a positive attitude) and no questions was to small. And having been around guns all my life, I have to say SAFETY was priority one. With there help I achieved my Rifleman first time out. I want to thank everyone there as it made such a positive impression on me. I am already making plans to attend my next Appleseed event.

Comment

• Grifhunter
                  Grifhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to our little club here! And congrats on Rifleman.

My wife and I attended the last one at LIPSA and we just signed up for the Saratoga Springs event in Sept.
                You know what kind of people I really don't like?
                Other people.

Comment

• nortatoga
                  nortatoga commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to hear you are coming to Saratoga! I think Sara Spa Rod & Gun Club was one of the first to host a AS shoot! Our April shoot had another gentleman make the trip up from the Island and I think he was coming back also in Sept.

• Mikey Ravioli
                  Mikey Ravioli commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. We are going to stay over Friday and Saturday night and make a weekend out of it. I am not familiar with the area. Perhaps you could recommend some good restaurants for me? I am not trying to thread jack so feel free to PM me.
              Working...
              X