Appleseed shoot Saratoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appleseed shoot Saratoga

First Happy 4th of July ALL!!! For those of you that my have missed out on your local Appleseed Shoot. Just a few hours north in Saratoga ( Greenfield Center ) there are still 12 tickets available for the shoot on Sept 24/25th at my club Sara Spa Rod & Gun Club! We shoot from under cover so unless it is really really bad weather we are good to go!! The Club is one of the first to host Appleseed in NY and we do 2 shoots a year. Last April one of your neighbors drove up from the Island ( He may be coming back? ), Another gentleman from south of Buffalo brought his youngest son (20's) I think he is coming back with his two older boys, And another shooter comes from northern Vermont for a few years now, never misses a shoot!! There was a total of 30 tickets for this shoot and we should have 7/9 instructors or more on the line that have been working together for a few years now!

So I hope to maybe meet some of my former Flatlander neighbors!!
    Jamie
    Former LI'er (Smithtown) now Saratoga County since 99
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor/ RSO, Appleseed IIT
    Member Sara Spa Rod&Gun Club and Pine Tree Rifle Club

For those interested in attending here's the Registration Link........................

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-stat...?locationid=31

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
    President T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Comment

I still have a bad case of Appleseed envy, I want to do one badly. Between the history, the training/shooting/education and the comradary I can't wait to take part in one.
      What an opportunity to shoot an Appleseed and spend some time in incredibly Saratoga, one of my favorite NY places.
      +1 for extending the offer way down here to us on LI.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
        I still have a bad case of Appleseed envy, I want to do one badly. Between the history, the training/shooting/education and the comradary I can't wait to take part in one.
        What an opportunity to shoot an Appleseed and spend some time in incredibly Saratoga, one of my favorite NY places.
        +1 for extending the offer way down here to us on LI.
        Did you miss the LIPSA sept announcement or did that weekend not work for you? Tickets were avail for quite a few days.
        NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

My wife and I are coming to Saratoga. We shot the one at LIPSA in the spring.
          You know what kind of people I really don't like?
          Other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey Ravioli View Post
            My wife and I are coming to Saratoga. We shot the one at LIPSA in the spring.
            Look forward to meet you and your wife Mikey!!

Comment

Well it looks like we are going to have a nice weekend for History an Marksmanship up here in Saratoga! Clear all weekend mid 60's, Sold out shoot with 30 students/ patriots and 10 instructors, IIT's and Applecore! Some of us working may get some time on the mats to put a few rounds down range. I've been wanting to shoot my RAR and my 96/22 at a AS this may be the weekend!!

Comment

My wife and I made the trip up there. It was well worth the effort. First off, everyone's high scores are safe. Best AQT I shot was in the 190's. My wife was around the same so no driving home in shame this time because she got a patch and I didn't. Although she did remind me that she still has one to my zero.

Secondly thanks to Nortatoga and the members at Saraspa for allowing us to shoot there. Its a very nice range. The biggest problem shooting there was remembering that I had to come home and shoot at the public ranges on Long Island again. Its a very nice facility. Well ventilated indoor range and outdoor points up to 200 yards and a shotgun area that doubles as a cannon demo area. (Yes they did a cannon demo) Plus a clubhouse with an actual bathroom and some weird green stuff between the lines and the backers. I think they call it grass. Who knew. If you ever get up by Saratoga I strongly suggest contacting the range and find out if you can use the facility as a visitor.

Saratoga itself is lovely. My wife already has it marked down for a long weekend. Since we were shooting Appleseed we didn't really get a chance to explore the area but we did walk around Broadway a bit and there were some great stores and restaurants. We had dinner at the Old Bryan Inn and it was delicious. A very foodie friendly town.

As for the shoot itself Grumpy1 ran a tight and safe shoot. I saw 4 out of the 30 make rifleman by the time we left on Sunday. There were a lot of new shooters that needed extra attention and all the instructors and IIT's were patient and kind with them. Good group up there. Had a chance to chat with a few guys and they made us "downstaters" feel welcome after a couple of jabs. One of the more notable differences were the amount of women involved in the event. My wife is usually one of the few women at a shooting event but there were several female attendees and even two female IIT's.

The history lesson was awesome as usual. Even though I had heard it before I learn (or maybe just remember) something new every time. Being up that way we also learned about the Battles of Saratoga which I had not heard about before. My scores did improve a little thanks to the instructors and I was reminded of the things I need to focus on for the future. My issues are going way to fast, holding my breath, and slapping the trigger. I finished the first rapid fire AQT in a little over 2 minutes and my score showed it. When I slowed down, took some breaths, and did the squeeze and hold trigger technique and finished with about 30 seconds left I had my highest scores.

All in all it was a great weekend and a really cool event. It was interesting to see how Appleseeds are run in different areas and visit different ranges. I definitely want to try a few more around the area. The traffic on the way home I could have lived without but what fun would NY be without the traffic?
                Last edited by Mikey Ravioli; 09-26-2016, 12:53 PM.
                Other people.

Comment

Mike I'm glad you and your wife made the trip! It was nice to meet you both, Sorry I didn't get to see you before you left! And Thanks for the really nice write up of our shoot and Club.

We did have a great weekend (a little rain Fri evening for set up) mid 60's both days clear no wind. Instructor to shooter ratio was 1 to 3. We did have 4 new Rifleman / woman and 8 repeat rifleman / woman shooters!! With scores from 211 up to 237! Grumpy1 has put a AAR on the Appleseed site!

Anyone wanting to take a drive a new shoot has been added ( last one of the year in the NE) up in Proctor VT , Oct 22/23, I have new member orientation to give on the 22nd but I may drive over on Sunday for some mat time myself.!

As Mike also mentioned if anyone is up this way check our calendar ( Sara Spa Rod and Gun Club) we do have some events open to non-members, Sat morning trap,some highpower practice match's on the 100/200 yd range CMP Rimfire Sporter match,s ( good to use your AS skills) and our bi-weekly 22lr fun shoots and BBQ on Fri evenings in the summer. As far as other uses members are allow 2 guests at a fee of $5.00 per guest so if anyone should be up this way send me a PM and if I'm available I could have you as guests.

Jamie

Comment

That's a great offer Jamie and again if you are up that way - go see Saraspa.
                    And Sorry for not saying goodbye. I wanted to leave at 2 and hopefully beat some traffic and ended up having a few AQT's in the 190's and ended up staying past 3 and then ripping out of there like a bat out of hell. I paid for the extra time with a 5+ hour ride home but I couldn't walk away being that close.
                    Last edited by Mikey Ravioli; 09-27-2016, 12:36 PM.
                    Other people.

Comment

Working...
                    X