Shooting Trap - Getting some training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Trap - Getting some training.

A few of us had a wonderful time out at Suffolk Skeet and Trap, at the last LIF event.

I had a blast! but I know I can do better with some training / guidance. I typically shoot a 12-16 game.

It sounds like the range has some professional trainers on a per-hour rate. Does anyone have experience of this at Suffolk Skeet. Costs per hour / Comments on overall quality of the personal or advice?

While I'm happy to organize this for my own needs, I'd also be happy to organize a group session for 3-4 people, make a morning of it. That could be a hoot.

Comments?

NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

I just arranged for a lesson. Will be taking it at Brookhaven with someone I've only good things about. Will let you know how it goes

Comment

I've used Tom several times. Mike AKA Yaphank kid has also come highly recommended. Usually the recommendation is to keep the students to 1 or 2 to get the most out of the lesson. Usually my lessons were out and about on different machines. That way we could try different presentations and we we're able to get away from the crowds. Instructor is paid a certain fee per hour (not sure off hand) and then you pay for your own ammo and games.

Comment

Call Suffolk County Clays 631-924-5600 and make an appointment with Mike Cerce (Yaphank Kid). You will not be disappointed.
        Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

What a tremendous community. 10 minutes after I post a question I get three excellent comments.

Thanks folks.
          NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

I've used Mike last year and it definitely helped. I'm having another lesson in June to go over the skeet stations I'm having the most trouble at.

Comment

Shoot the clay where its going to be, not where it is. There...Training complete, your now a jedi master!

We had Mike show us the ropes the first time we went out many years ago. He was a big help in getting us started, the rest is practice and getting a feel for timing and lead. That part cant be taught.

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
                Shoot the clay where its going to be, not where it is. There...Training complete, your now a jedi master!

We had Mike show us the ropes the first time we went out many years ago. He was a big help in getting us started, the rest is practice and getting a feel for timing and lead. That part cant be taught.
                Being taught hold points and look points at each station is a huge benefit too.

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post

Being taught hold points and look points at each station is a huge benefit too.
                  Yep. I get shoot where it's going to be, but I agree that a lot of the hold, stand direction of arc, ideal positions, I could use some help.

Comment

Take a lesson. It will help with you feet placement, hold point. See it, shoot it.

Comment

Working...
                    X