• Show
Clear All

Defensive Pistol

*Rescheduled Due to Weather Conditions to:

*When:
    Saturday June 2nd from 10 am to 3:30 pm

*Where: Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567

*Fee: $50.00 deposit due at registration

*Main Requirement: Good muzzle management and trigger discipline.

*Short Description: You'll be exposed to a multitude of challenging drills, situations and shooting positions while we accurately measure your progress.
    At the end of this class, you'll develop the knowledge, skills and attitude to carry and use a concealed pistol efficiently and with confidence.

*Click on this registration link for a full class description, requirements and restrictions

Contact us if any questions.

Thank you.

Nicys Firearms Instruction
    SIG SAUER Academy Certified Master Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Range Safety Officer
    Phone# (914) 930-6238
    Email: [email protected]
    Facebook page/Join the NRA: facebook.com/nicysinstruction/
    Last edited by Nicys; 05-17-2018, 10:32 AM.

Originally posted by Nicys View Post
    *When: Saturday May 19th from 10 am to 3:30 pm

*Discount: $10.00 off to members of this “forum” when registered on or before April 30th

*Short Description: Unlike most "objective-based" programs, ours is "performance-based".
    You'll be exposed to a multitude of challenging drills, situations and shooting positions while we accurately measure your progress.
    At the end of this class, you'll develop the knowledge, skills and attitude to carry and use a concealed pistol efficiently and with confidence.

*Click on this registration link for a full class description, requirements and restrictions

Thank you.

NRA Certified Instructor
    Range Safety Officer
    Phone#
    (914) 930-6238
    Website/Join the NRA: www.nicysinstruction.com
    I was ready to sign up, until I saw the "no Serpa Holsters" bit.... I've been wearing and using a SERPA for many years (basically since they came out)
    I wear it at work. I wear it when I compete, I wear it hunting. I put in the time to learn how it works.

- I am aware of the idiot issues with them (that happen from poor trigger finger discipline, and lack of practice, not the holsters fault)

(There are other holsters with a similar locking system - I don't see those banned.)

So, I'm out.

Comment

Please take a look at this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-discontinued/

“but the person next to me was no idiot. He was a former Secret Service agent and retired Special Forces soldier, a man with more experience than I could imagine. And he almost shot his foot using a SERPA”.

Be aware, under certain circumstances all it takes is a bit of pressure to get you out of your comfort zone and this is when things can turn ugly real fast!

Comment

I feel like every reputable trainer prohibits serpa holsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicys View Post
          Please take a look at this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-discontinued/

“but the person next to me was no idiot. He was a former Secret Service agent and retired Special Forces soldier, a man with more experience than I could imagine. And he almost shot his foot using a SERPA”.

Be aware, under certain circumstances all it takes is a bit of pressure to get you out of your comfort zone and this is when things can turn ugly real fast!
          Welp, first off that article - is from 2011.... Next - "Tex" is an idiot - watch in slow-motion, and you see he has NOT practiced with the holster - he's got his trigger finger hooked - nevermind the dipshit 'drill' he was playing.

Researching his BS - it also seems he was using two different holster systems.. He appears to have been using two separate holsters: A 5.11 Thumb Drive and also a SERPA. Switching systems is asking for trouble.

On top of that TexFoolery - he says in that video he was using a 1911 - Why did the gun even discharge? - if the safety were ON until the gun was up - it COULD NOT FIRE. So it would seem the fumbduck is in the habit of disengaging the safety with the gun still in the holster.

Last - your quote from the ancient article about the 'secret service special ops ranger seal dude"? - Yeah, let's put a name on him and see if he'll blame the tool and not the fool.... Did he READ the instructions? Did he PRACTICE drawing from the SERPA? - I'm betting no and no.

Since that article - USMC adopted the SERPA in 2013 - and the Swiss Adopted in in 2016.... The German Army uses it, US Customs and Border Patrol, and OMG - USSOC (per Military.com, 2017, and yes I'm aware that there's a new contract for safariland).

Along with MILLIONS of these holsters in use - it would seem that it's a non-problem that's been blown way out of proportion.

I would hazard a guess that there have been more ND's caused by jacket toggles getting into GLOCK trigger guards than there have been ND's with SERPAs..... But no one has banned GLOCKS from training classes....

Comment

Parashooter, while I agree with some of your points, I doubt any trainer is going to change their rules for you.

IMO, formal training taken 2-3 times a year, trumps any grumble I may have with their policies. I’d change my gear and benefit from training..... I probably wouldn’t train with an ‘alternative’ holster then EDC a Sherpa, I’d bite the bullet and find something new and EDC / training friendly, train with what you run.

People who don’t train, regardless of their background and opinions tend to concern me.

You have 400+ friends on LIGC that could find a few holsters for you to try.

We’re both old enough and wise enough to recognize that I mean no offense with these comments.
            NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post

Welp, first off that article - is from 2011.... Next - "Tex" is an idiot - watch in slow-motion, and you see he has NOT practiced with the holster - he's got his trigger finger hooked - nevermind the dipshit 'drill' he was playing.

Researching his BS - it also seems he was using two different holster systems.. He appears to have been using two separate holsters: A 5.11 Thumb Drive and also a SERPA. Switching systems is asking for trouble.

On top of that TexFoolery - he says in that video he was using a 1911 - Why did the gun even discharge? - if the safety were ON until the gun was up - it COULD NOT FIRE. So it would seem the fumbduck is in the habit of disengaging the safety with the gun still in the holster.

Last - your quote from the ancient article about the 'secret service special ops ranger seal dude"? - Yeah, let's put a name on him and see if he'll blame the tool and not the fool.... Did he READ the instructions? Did he PRACTICE drawing from the SERPA? - I'm betting no and no.

Since that article - USMC adopted the SERPA in 2013 - and the Swiss Adopted in in 2016.... The German Army uses it, US Customs and Border Patrol, and OMG - USSOC (per Military.com, 2017, and yes I'm aware that there's a new contract for safariland).

Along with MILLIONS of these holsters in use - it would seem that it's a non-problem that's been blown way out of proportion.

I would hazard a guess that there have been more ND's caused by jacket toggles getting into GLOCK trigger guards than there have been ND's with SERPAs..... But no one has banned GLOCKS from training classes....

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
                Parashooter, while I agree with some of your points, I doubt any trainer is going to change their rules for you.

IMO, formal training taken 2-3 times a year, trumps any grumble I may have with their policies. I’d change my gear and benefit from training..... I probably wouldn’t train with an ‘alternative’ holster then EDC a Sherpa, I’d bite the bullet and find something new and EDC / training friendly, train with what you run.

People who don’t train, regardless of their background and opinions tend to concern me.

You have 400+ friends on LIGC that could find a few holsters for you to try.

We’re both old enough and wise enough to recognize that I mean no offense with these comments.
                No offense taken - but you said it yourself, you wouldn't train with an alternate to your EDC - I've been EDC with a SERPA for over a decade - I train with it, I compete with it... changing for the sake of change - is asking for trouble.

Now, you're telling me I need to 'find something new' suggesting my gear is 'old' - I can offer up that the anti-SERPA thinking is also 'old' and worn-out.... with millions in use, I haven't found the thousands of ND's that the BS articles suggest.

Comment

And thread high jacked in 3,2,1...

Comment

*Rescheduled Due to Weather Conditions to: Saturday June 2nd from 10 am to 3:30 pm

*Short Description: You'll be exposed to a multitude of challenging drills, situations and shooting positions while we accurately measure your progress.
                    At the end of this class, you'll have the knowledge, skills and attitude to carry and use a concealed pistol efficiently and with confidence.

Thank you.

NRA Certified Instructor
                    Range Safety Officer
                    Phone#
                    (914) 930-6238
                    Facebook page/Join the NRA: facebook.com/nicysinstruction/
                    Last edited by Nicys; 05-17-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X