Trauma certification?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trauma certification?

Because of my job I'm certified to perform basic to intermediate first aid. I would like to add to it. Not just take a class, but have the actual certification that says I can use this stuff to treat severe bleeding, punctures to the chest or abdominal area, etc.

Anyone know where I can go? I'm not an EMT/Paramedic - this would largely be for civilian usage - but it would benefit me at my job as I'm only covered up to a certain point even though I've practiced beyond that.

Chest punctures: Seal wound on 3 sides with an occlusive dressing, the open end should be situated for gravity to allow for drainage. Abdomen wounds(no evisceration of intestine/organ): Seal all 4 sides with a sterile dressing. Evisceration seal on all 4 sides, bandage in layers: 1st layer-moistened with saline or sterile water, 2nd layer-sterile dry dressing, 3rd layer-occlusive to keep in body heat and keep debris out. Tourniquets, in a stress situation keep it high and tight, if the bleeding stops and you lose distal pulses, it’s on right. And impaled objects, DO NOT remove unless it’s blocking the airway, all others stabilize with bulky dressings on 4 sides.

Comment

Originally posted by FDEMTNYC View Post
      Chest punctures: Seal wound on 3 sides with an occlusive dressing, the open end should be situated for gravity to allow for drainage. Abdomen wounds(no evisceration of intestine/organ): Seal all 4 sides with a sterile dressing. Evisceration seal on all 4 sides, bandage in layers: 1st layer-moistened with saline or sterile water, 2nd layer-sterile dry dressing, 3rd layer-occlusive to keep in body heat and keep debris out. Tourniquets, in a stress situation keep it high and tight, if the bleeding stops and you lose distal pulses, it’s on right. And impaled objects, DO NOT remove unless it’s blocking the airway, all others stabilize with bulky dressings on 4 sides.
      nice description , but a class would be nice , i would go to one also

Comment

I've taken a Traumatic Combat Casualty Care course which was 2 days but there was no certification. The company through which I booked it is defunct. TCCC is what it sounds like you are looking for. A quick search for TCCC certification got me this. The link is just to an example.

https://htpscourse.com/tactical-comb...-certification

"The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
        Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
        Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Couldn’t recommend any classes, I don’t know of any place that teaches just trauma related treatments. I am a NYS Certified EMS instructor, with 13 years with a very well known agency (my profile name should give it away. Lol), and 17 years total in the NYC EMS 911 system. I’ll happily answer any questions anyone has about medical/trauma stuff, had to sit through many classes and certification programs.

Comment

If people want, I’ll meet up someplace with equipment run through some hands on stuff. No cash payment needed.

Comment

Hunt down a Tactical Emergency Casualty Class(TECC). That will get you a cert. TCCC is the military version. TECC is the civilian cousin. The former you don't want. The latter the one you want.

Edited to add...

The TECC class is usually something run by private training companies. You'll pay at least a few hundred bucks it not more for the two day class. But you will get a paper cert for it. Depending on who is running the course they may expect that most are EMTs or medics and may run the class at that level of education. And that's generally who is seeking out the training. NY Presbyterian ran one a few years back and it was packed with medics from my job. But the class is certainly designed for first responders/first aid folks.

http://tecc.inquisiqr4.com/

I'd strongly recommend you look for a B-Con class as well. Besides Stonybrook there are other outlets for the class. Nassau University Medical Center runs some training as well. If you have anything to do with a school district, community group, public access use or other public entity type employment in Nassau County PM me for more contact info. The training can be run for school students as well.

https://trauma.stonybrookmedicine.edu/bleedingcontrol

Prepare Your Faculty and Staff with Free Life-Saving Training!

Learning how to care for an injured family member, friend, or even a stranger isn’t hard.

Many basic first aid courses are available that emphasize current bleeding control techniques such as use of tourniquets and hemostatic dressings.

B-Con is designed for people with little or no medical training
              •Teachers, security personnel, custodial staff
              •Public servants who may be called upon to assist trauma patients while waiting for EMS.

B-Con teaches basic life-saving interventions
              •Bleeding control with a tourniquet, gauze pack or hemostatic agent
              •Opening an airway to allow a casualty to breathe.

B-Con was developed to increase survival from
              •Active shooter, improvised explosive device, and mass casualty events.

There's a BCon in Copiague on March 14th and the 21st as well.
              Last edited by Sherm66; 02-07-2019, 12:07 PM.
              When they kick out your front door
              How you gonna come?
              With your hands on your head
              Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

Take an EMT class. It will teach you enough.
                Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by class3 View Post
                  Take an EMT class. It will teach you enough.
                  Doesn't an EMT class take 6 months or close to it?
                  "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                  Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                  Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm66 View Post
                    Hunt down a Tactical Emergency Casualty Class(TECC). That will get you a cert. TCCC is the military version. TECC is the civilian cousin. The former you don't want. The latter the one you want.

Edited to add...

The TECC class is usually something run by private training companies. You'll pay at least a few hundred bucks it not more for the two day class. But you will get a paper cert for it. Depending on who is running the course they may expect that most are EMTs or medics and may run the class at that level of education. And that's generally who is seeking out the training. NY Presbyterian ran one a few years back and it was packed with medics from my job. But the class is certainly designed for first responders/first aid folks.

http://tecc.inquisiqr4.com/

I'd strongly recommend you look for a B-Con class as well. Besides Stonybrook there are other outlets for the class. Nassau University Medical Center runs some training as well. If you have anything to do with a school district, community group, public access use or other public entity type employment in Nassau County PM me for more contact info. The training can be run for school students as well.

https://trauma.stonybrookmedicine.edu/bleedingcontrol

Prepare Your Faculty and Staff with Free Life-Saving Training!

Learning how to care for an injured family member, friend, or even a stranger isn’t hard.

Many basic first aid courses are available that emphasize current bleeding control techniques such as use of tourniquets and hemostatic dressings.

B-Con is designed for people with little or no medical training
                    •Teachers, security personnel, custodial staff
                    •Public servants who may be called upon to assist trauma patients while waiting for EMS.

B-Con teaches basic life-saving interventions
                    •Bleeding control with a tourniquet, gauze pack or hemostatic agent
                    •Opening an airway to allow a casualty to breathe.

B-Con was developed to increase survival from
                    •Active shooter, improvised explosive device, and mass casualty events.

There's a BCon in Copiague on March 14th and the 21st as well.
                    Thanks for the help. I appreciate the leg work. I glanced at some TECC stuff. Haven't had a chance to get in depth, but I'll take a look. I know another person or two expressed interest so I'll let you know what I find

Comment

Working...
                    X