Dick’s, Field & Stream Store Traffic Slumps

Open Search form Toggle navigation The Truth About Guns
    Search for:
    Search

Dick’s, Field & Stream Store Traffic Slumps

by John Boch |
    May 14, 2018 |
    77 comments

Dick’s Sporting Goods and their subsidiary Field & Stream stores look like ghost towns these days in America’s heartland. After reading stories about gun companies ending sales to Dick’s, and the company’s hiring of gun control lobbyists in Washington, I decided to visit the Champaign, Illinois Dick’s and Field & Stream locations.
    Yes, it’s anecdotal, but from what I saw on a Tuesday afternoon last week, it sure looks like America’s gun owners have abandoned Dick’s. I visited the gun area of Field & Stream and saw a single lonely sales guy cleaning the glass display.

Nobody else was browsing the shelves for the widely-spaced ammunition.

Turning around, I looked through the rest of the Field & Stream store, and down the main aisle of the attached Dick’s store. It was like waking up on the set of Dawn of the Dead. I reassuringly tapped my heater with my elbow and felt better. The place appeared completely empty of shoppers – and staff.

As I walked through the place looking for the restroom, I noticed a number of “SAVE” signs where customers could save $0. Perhaps we could save $0 and send that “cornhole” game to the Dick’s shareholders meeting coming up soon. After all, those owning shares in the beleaguered company aren’t making much money.
    Furthermore, shareholders might need something to keep them busy while Ed Stack spends his time alienating The People of the Gun. Instead of managing his business. And if Dick’s other stores look like these, their fearless leader will preside over Dick’s descent into bankruptcy, much the same way MC Sports and Gander Mountain have gone before them.

Cruising back through the gun department, I noticed some of those dreaded “high capacity” magazines. Wait! I thought Ed Stack said his company had pulled all of those evil things. In his own words, as published at USA Today
    We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age. We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
    (Emphasis added.) Oh wait, maybe that was a mistake. Someone probably just missed a 13-round magazine.

Nope. Not a mistake. Field & Stream continues to sell “high capacity” magazines for handguns (these wouldn’t fly in New York or California). I also found a whole row of GLOCK and M&P standard capacity replacement mags.
    So Stack did not remove all of his stores’ high capacity magazines. Hard to believe he would lie to Mr. and Mrs. America, right?

As if this didn’t pose enough bad news for Dick’s, sales remain so slow that dust has begun to pile up on shelves (and the merchandise). These things happen when a big box store has no customers.
    Pro-tip for the day: If you have shares of Dick’s Sporting Goods, a good time to sell them would have been last year.

Dick’s Sporting Goods and their subsidiary Field & Stream stores look like ghost towns these days in America’s heartland. After reading stories about gun companies ending sales to Dick’s, and the company’s hiring of gun control lobbyists in Washington, I decided to visit the Champaign, Illinois Dick’s and Field & Stream locations. Yes, it’s anecdotal, …
    Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

I just mentioned in another thread, the people that started these petitions and social media campaigns most likely never even shopped there. Dick's literally shot themselves in the foot with their stupid, then doubled and tripled down on it. Reap what you sow, you clueless bitches.

Comment

4DBC0466-D116-42F7-9C48-42B0833C8D25.jpegE2B83EB0-475F-4A6A-97E5-74350A11FEB6.jpeg
      Last edited by Huntington Guy; 05-15-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Glad to see that their anti - gun policies are having a negative effect on sales. I know I will no longer shop in either Dick’s or Field and Stream.

Comment

Hopefully Bankruptcy is next

Comment

Even before their recent bullshit actions, they still had that f'ckd up policy of asking to see your pistol license before selling you ammo. That's a turn off...

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
              I just mentioned in another thread, the people that started these petitions and social media campaigns most likely never even shopped there. Dick's literally shot themselves in the foot with their stupid, then doubled and tripled down on it. Reap what you sow, you clueless bitches.
              Exactly! After this all happened, I cancelled my account with them and told them it’s because they sold me out to please the people who would never shop there to begin with.

Comment

Never smart to piss off your best customers. I haven't bought anything from Dicks since their initial foray into political correctness. Idiots.
                This article made me smile from ear to ear!

Comment

Originally posted by Llaara View Post
                  Even before their recent bullshit actions, they still had that f'ckd up policy of asking to see your pistol license before selling you ammo. That's a turn off...
                  Perp walk to your car.
                  Lic for ammo sales.
                  Discount and Score Cards didn’t apply to ammo, every effin thing else in the store, but not ammo.
                  HS kids arguing whether ammo is pistol only cal or if rifles made in the calibers.

FUD
                  FUFS

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

Perp walk to your car.
                    Lic for ammo sales.
                    Discount and Score Cards didn’t apply to ammo, every effin thing else in the store, but not ammo.
                    HS kids arguing whether ammo is pistol only cal or if rifles made in the calibers.

FUD
                    FUFS
                    You forgot the original black Friday Troy AR debacle.

I won't even buy a soccer ball from these db's now. Gotta go to Mo's.

Comment

Although I am upset by their recent antics the reality is that we don’t have many choices living on Long Island. I was so happy when field and stream opened giving us access to ammo and guns at a good price. This turn of events is a double fuck you for us behind enemy lines on Long Island.

Sucks to be us as usual.

Comment

So no Troy? 🙄 . How many years do unopened Tinks and buck bombs last ? I still have plenty. Ammo , thank you Target Sports and Outdoor Limited . Reloading , thank you midsouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Llaara View Post

Only Dicks ask to see a pistol license as a condition of purchasing ammo . Bullshit progressive intrusive numbskullery. Can see why no self respecting gun owner would allow themselves to be treated like a wetback.
                          Last edited by Pitbull428; 05-15-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Guess they shouldn’t have been Dick’s to the 2A community. Serves them right. There overpriced anyway

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post
                              Hopefully Bankruptcy is next
                              Hopefully they become a classic teaching example in business classes of the future on what not to do in business.
                              "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Comment

Working...
                              X