Potential gunsmithing ebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential gunsmithing ebook

I have helped many friends and relatives with gunsmithing and firearm assembly/builds. Many have taken such an interest that they have begun doing their own stuff. Now the only things i have that they lack is self obtained experience, tooling, and countless hours of research logged harnessing the power of the Internet. So I have begun a little writing project. Basically putting together an instructional book on general gunsmithing, tooling, assembly, building, and modifications, for the AR and AK, refinishing using duracoat, gunkote and cerakote, rust bluing and wood refinishing, and possibly expanding to 1911 and Glock as well. Will cover everything from changing furniture to completion and building from 80% receivers, with detailed definitions, diagrams, pictorials, sources for tools and supplies, etc. Will be detailed enough for a completely new gun owner, but informative enough that seasoned old timers should learn a thing or two. If I ever complete it, it will likely be in ebook format due to ease of self publishing.

Now my questions for the members. As a community of likeminded gun enthusiasts, would this interest you? If so, what price point would be reasonable were you to come across it on your play store, amazon, or other?

Lastly, if this does interest you, any particular topics you would like to see covered?

Thanks in advance, any and all opinions are appreciated.
    I'd be interested
    85.71%
    Not so much gfy
    5.71%
    5 bucks
    14.29%
    10 bucks
    14.29%
    +10
    25.71%

Sign me up!

Comment

I'm in. I feel, the price should be under $20.

Comment

I'm in. Been looking for a book like this.
        “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm in ....Depending on the amount of pages and details i am willing to pay if it has what i need

Comment

Not to shoot down your idea, more to make you think from a sales perspective...whats the hook? Why would someone buy a book when they can watch a you tube video for free?

It may be more lucrative for you to make videos, post them on YouTube, monetize them to collect Ad funds and use them to sell a
            book
            Last edited by METALHEAD; 06-14-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

check.jpg

I keed, I keed!
              SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

I have spent an unhealthy amount of time researching things related to building and smithing. I know it is gonna sound stupid and you guys might not believe it, but im mostly doing this just to have a project to work on. If I make a few coins to go toward guns it will obviously be a plus, but im not looking to pay the rent or make a living from it. As far as what this will potentially offer a reader over going to youtube, etc, this removes the legwork of having to sift through all the nonsense that's out there to find good reliable info. Any members here who have built their own ARs can tell you it isnt rocket science, but a solid walkthrough or guide makes it that much easier, especially for first timers. I know when I first started out I would have gladly paid a few bucks for something like this, and if it gives a few gun owners a little push to start building their own stuff it will help grow and enhance the community, the hobby, and the number of armed Americans. Because America. I have been making a bit of progress on it and am considering releasing a draft to a handful of members for critique/review.

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
                  Not to shoot down your idea, more to make you think from a sales perspective...whats the hook? Why would someone buy a book when they can watch a you tube video for free?

It may be more lucrative for you to make videos, post them on YouTube, monetize them to collect Ad funds and use them to sell a
                  book
                  This^^^^. I was about to suggest the same thing. You'll make more money and a picture is worth a 1000 words.
                  Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post

This^^^^. I was about to suggest the same thing. You'll make more money and a picture is worth a 1000 words.
                    There are going to be plenty of pictures, diagrams, schematics, etc. My goal is for someone who has never held a firearm or a tool to use what I write and depict to be able to safely and properly use tools to build a firearm. For someone who has used tools and knows firearms to become more proficient in working with them and to expand their capabilities and knowledge to different platforms and skill sets. It may not be for everyone, but I think it could serve as a good tool.

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post

book
                      That sounds good, but Youtube has demonitized anything to do with guns. The big gun vloggers are hurt pretty bad by the changes.
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj513 View Post

There are going to be plenty of pictures, diagrams, schematics, etc. My goal is for someone who has never held a firearm or a tool to use what I write and depict to be able to safely and properly use tools to build a firearm. For someone who has used tools and knows firearms to become more proficient in working with them and to expand their capabilities and knowledge to different platforms and skill sets. It may not be for everyone, but I think it could serve as a good tool.
                        I think this is the very first time I have disagreed with something you posted. LOL. Do what ever makes you happy, and I will still buy your book. Best of Luck!
                        Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post

I think this is the very first time I have disagreed with something you posted. LOL. Do what ever makes you happy, and I will still buy your book. Best of Luck!
                          All good brother. I'll make sure I send you a draft for input, because we normally are on the same page, and I trust Id get honest feedback.

Comment

I would never discourage such a project, but whenever I look for info on something gunsmith related, and I do that a lot, 9 out of 10 times I'm looking at videos on youtube. It's so much easier following someone along as they're doing it, hit pause when you need to, rewind when you need to, etc., and you can see the exact procedure in realtime. So I personally wouldn't use a written reference as a go-to, I'm more of a video oriented person, just works better for me.

Comment

Matt doesn't have a face for YouTube

jk

Comment

Working...
                              X