No announcement yet.

Potential gunsmithing ebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly don't have the face for youtube, I had an extremely difficult paper route. And if I was making youtube videos they would turn into rants against liberals real quick. Writing I can atleast tone the rants down in the editing phase. Banzai, I am the opposite. I find having something written out easier to follow, especially with the varying paces of instructional vids on youtube. Ebook format allows easy mobile viewing wherever work is being conducted, most of my reference materials are stored in note form on my phone. I am also still testing the capabilities of the epub format, for instructions where pics/diagrams and descriptions aren't ideal, gif images and short videos are a possibility. Again, it may not be for everyone, but I genuinely appreciate any and all commentary and suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj513 View Post
      I certainly don't have the face for youtube, I had an extremely difficult paper route. And if I was making youtube videos they would turn into rants against liberals real quick. Writing I can atleast tone the rants down in the editing phase. Banzai, I am the opposite. I find having something written out easier to follow, especially with the varying paces of instructional vids on youtube. Ebook format allows easy mobile viewing wherever work is being conducted, most of my reference materials are stored in note form on my phone. I am also still testing the capabilities of the epub format, for instructions where pics/diagrams and descriptions aren't ideal, gif images and short videos are a possibility. Again, it may not be for everyone, but I genuinely appreciate any and all commentary and suggestions.
      Hahaha, well I'd totally watch rants against liberals mixed in with gunsmithing videos, too, all the better. And yes, I absolutely appreciate the fact that people process things differently so an ebook reference certainly has value as a resource, that's why I mentioned I would never discourage it because you can never have enough info on any given topic and different people click with different formats. And little video gifs or things of that nature to compliment it are also a great idea, with some decent lighting and something as simple as video off your phone, you can do some very simple yet effective visual aids to compliment your content.

Comment

Ok Team. Have a rough draft started, roughly 80 pages, that includes basic tooling, accessories, changing furniture, trigger polishing, refinishing wood, polymer, and metal, duracoat gun kote cerakote. Started adding pictures to some of the sections, still need to add plenty of pictures to most of whats written so far, so keep that in mind when pictures are referenced but not present (furniture sections will get a picture for each step, multiple if necessary). First 9 people that want to review it, post as much here and pm me your email address, it is currently in epub format but I can do mobi, pdf, kindle, etc no problem as well, just specify. ChiefSailer, pm me your email address and format also. If any of the mods want it as well, you guys wont count as part of the 9 people, just pm me your email address and format. I do ask that anyone requesting it give an honest critical review of it, if its good tell me what would make it better, if it is garbage tell me what would make it not garbage. If areas are too descriptive, not descriptive enough, don't make any sense, etc. When you do give me critiques, just let me know your level of experience with the areas you take issue with, as I want this to be well rounded for any experience level. Post critiques here as you come up with them.

BuildItYourselfcover.jpg

Comment

I'm way too freakin busy to build guns now, but when I retire in ten years, I'm a gonna smith my ass off as a hobby, so, yeah I'd buy an ebook. If it was any good, I'd pay $20.
          Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

I think the real advantage of an eBook or website over Youtube is that it's easier to embed non-video content than to have kinks in the description. One way to get people to buty this is to include the types of forms and spreadsheets that are such a major part of this stuff. Parts list /subassembly component option for an AR, finishing chemistry recipes, velocity vs barrel length, stoning angles, all that kind of data most of us have had to scrounge around and collect over a number of years.

Comment

Bump. Progress?
              NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
                Bump. Progress?
                Sadly, no progress. I have been dealing with some medical issues of late and have not been accomplishing anything lately.

Comment

Sadly, no progress. I have been dealing with some medical issues of late and have not been accomplishing anything lately.
                  Hope you feel better soon brother! God Bless!
                  Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Ahhh. Then here’s wishing you a speedy recovery sir! Well wishes heading your way.
                    NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Thanks men

Comment

Hope you feel better soon.
                        Steve

Comment

I think the hybrid can work.

You can make a very good short You Tube video that is the basis for your instructional series. Watch the video for free, on some short topic, and then buy the e-book from the link in the video.
                          In effect, making an infomercial on You Tube for the book.

There are still people (read as senior citizens) that would value information that they had to pay for and wasn't on You Tube.

One tip for you:
                          Over the years I have been a (paid) magazine writer and an editor for other writer's works. I have been involved with a few writers that have self-published, both proof reading and editing.
                          The most important thing to outsource in your writing is an editor, even someone who will do it for free is better than no editor at all.
                          Even Hemingway had an editor. Great writing always implies great editing.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Follow Tony Ben’s example (on the M14 forum). Has published numerous videos and articles on building and maintaining the M14 rifles and today is sought after as one of the top builders.
                            Post count uber alles!
                            Saying we don’t need firearms because we have the Police is like saying we don’t need fire extinguishers because we have the Fire Department.
                            Rich or poor, it's good to have money!
                            If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con', what is the opposite of 'progress'?
                            If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.
                            A nation of sheep, invites a government of wolves.

Comment

Feel better soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X