Winter project gun build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter project gun build

So I am looking for a project to do over the winter and I came across a semiauto sten gun parts kit and am thinking I should be able to build this over the winter with the tools and skills I already have. It seems to be legal in New York in its mk2 configuration but maybe I am missing something legally. How can I find out for sure if I can home build this firearm in New York? Has anyone else built one? What are your guys thought?

What is barrel length and does it have a folding stock?

Comment

It's a fixed stock and I was going to get a 16.5" barrel

Comment

10rd mags?

Comment

There's a member here that's done a couple kits. 10 round pinned mags, welded the stock. Kinda heavy but a blast to shoot. We actually shot it one range night a few months ago

Comment

Fixed, metal frame stock?

Then ...

I don't need a gun.
            I have never needed a gun.
            I hope I never need a gun and in all likelihood, I will never need a gun.
            However, if I ever need a gun, I had better have a gun.
            Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
              There's a member here that's done a couple kits. 10 round pinned mags, welded the stock. Kinda heavy but a blast to shoot. We actually shot it one range night a few months ago
              What about registering the 32 round mags using the curio exemption? Is that gonna be a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by the_maximalist View Post

What about registering the 32 round mags using the curio exemption? Is that gonna be a no go.
                No dice- they have to not fit any gun or reproduction of any gun made in the last 50 years, and since people are making Stens with modern receivers (stenparts.com, etc.) that will disqualify it. Also, please note it's not a "curio exemption" (meaning it's exempt from the law), it's actually a curio REGISTRATION, which means you are "on the list".

Comment

Also, bear in mind that from a parts kit (meaning cut-up original Stem) you are going to be dealing with a gun that fires from open bolt (illegal), so you need to have a modified bolt with a few other parts- I don't know of any way to pull this off except to buy a semi-auto bolt from somewhere or DIY engineering, if you can find a set of working drawings for the semi-auto bolt please let us know. I know you can buy a manufactured one that uses an AR firing pin (original Sten just has a nub on the bolt that strikes the primer). But you'd have to factor that in to the cost of your "parts kit". Same goes for a barrel- you'd need to source a non-SBR barrel or turn it yourself from a blank and chamber it. which takes machinery. (lathe).The receiver itself looks pretty easy to make with whatever (drill, dremel, files). You'll probably have a couple of welds, but I'm not familiar enough with the Sten to know what extent, or how much other fabrication it takes to rebuild from parts kit to functioning semi auto. What is your skill level, what equipment do you have, or are you planning on buying pre-made components? If the latter, make sure you are budgeting for everything you need, a la carte can really add up with some projects like this, and while a Sten is cool, a $300 parts kit that ends up being a $1500 build might not be what you intended? I'd be interested in what you dig up also, can you post back here with your results?

Comment

http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk2.html
                    heres your start Sean. Receiver takes time cutting or have someone machine it out.
                    You can also find surplus kits at apex gun parts

Comment

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
                      http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk2.html
                      heres your start Sean. Receiver takes time cutting or have someone machine it out.
                      Provided that someone has an 07 FFL, NYS Dealer/Gunsmith Lic and is registered with ITAR. Don't jam up a friend that owns a mill. , if you aren't doing it for yourself you are manufacturing.

Im confident you could make a sten with a dremel.

Comment

Working...
                      X