Want to borrow- torque wrench or driver that goes up to 80+ lbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to borrow- torque wrench or driver that goes up to 80+ lbs

Need it to mount my chassis I just got. Have one that goes up to 40, which covers basically everything else. In Selden Centereach area.

Inch pounds or foot pounds?

Comment

In-lbs

Comment

harbor freight has everything on sale right now.

Their torque wrenches actually score very well in independent testing.

Vick
        High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
          harbor freight has everything on sale right now.

Their torque wrenches actually score very well in independent testing.

Vick
          Good to know. May give them a try than. It was my first thought but was kinda hesitant to use them.

Comment

17 bucks with coupon. If this thing works twice its worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt

AR barrel nut torque range is 30-80 ft/lbs.

I worked in a machine shop building engines way back when. Boss wouldn't even let me keep my 1/2" drive Sands Salvage special in the shop.

At a later job, I had access to a torque calibration machine. That cheapie, along with my 3/8" dr Craftsman, and my 1/2" dr Proto were all spot on. Well within spec. My 3/8" drive Snap On and 1/2" Mac were 5-10 ft/lbs off, and had to be calibrated.

I have HF 1/4" dr torque wrench and torque screwdriver that I never had calibrated, but they've never stripped or broke anything. I use the screwdriver on rings and mounts with no issues. I've had mixed experiences with Wheeler tools, and have seen mixed reviews of their Fat Wrench. Most free float and standard barrel nut wrenches have a 1/2" drive hole, so go with a HF and it will work well.

Stuff like barrel nuts, lug nuts, and suspension pieces, I'd have no problem with a HF torque wrench. If you're doing engine work, buy a good one, and keep it calibrated. There's not a whole hell of a lot of stuff you'd need to torque up to 300 ft/lbs on a car or standard duty gas truck. HD or diesel might be a different story.
              What exactly are you applying the torque to? The HF torque screwdriver seems to be no longer available. I wouldn't use a 1/4" drive clicker torque wrench on scope mounts and/or rings and such, even if the scale goes that low.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post

What exactly are you applying the torque to? The HF torque screwdriver seems to be no longer available. I wouldn't use a 1/4" drive clicker torque wrench on scope mounts and/or rings and such, even if the scale goes that low.
                Action screws, which I just found out the threads on my action are stripped, guess who now has a chassis attached to a savage they cant take off or tighten down.

Comment

I️ have the harbor freight one. Haven’t used it. You’re more than welcome to use it

Comment

Working...
                  X