Bolt Action .410 - Cracked Reciever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt Action .410 - Cracked Reciever

Was shooting my old .410 (got it in early 80's as my first gun, and it was used then) and noticed the barrel and action loose in the stock. Turns out the barrel lug cracked free with a portion of the receiver. Its a Sears 101.1120 Appears to be cross listed with a Savage / Springfield 51 and 951. I have photos attached. Would this be repairable? If it was just the lug, it would be an easy solder / weld. Since it took some of the barrel threads with it, I would be less inclined to think repair is possible, but I know people do weld torch cut receivers back together so I wasn't sure. I may be just better off finding a barreled receiver or one missing a bolt and piecing one back together. (I found a barreled receiver with bolt, no extractor or stock for $75.)

Was definitely an odd failure, figured it would be worth showing the pictures.

Originally posted by Mad_Dog_Devo View Post
    Was shooting my old .410 (got it in early 80's as my first gun, and it was used then) and noticed the barrel and action loose in the stock. Turns out the barrel lug cracked free with a portion of the receiver. Its a Sears 101.1120 Appears to be cross listed with a Savage / Springfield 51 and 951. I have photos attached. Would this be repairable? If it was just the lug, it would be an easy solder / weld. Since it took some of the barrel threads with it, I would be less inclined to think repair is possible, but I know people do weld torch cut receivers back together so I wasn't sure. I may be just better off finding a barreled receiver or one missing a bolt and piecing one back together. (I found a barreled receiver with bolt, no extractor or stock for $75.)

Was definitely an odd failure, figured it would be worth showing the pictures.
    I'd proceed with caution. The threaded part of the receiver ring tends to take the most pressure, while this may be far less than a center fire rifle in a 410, you could be producing a dangerous situation. Maybe you can look around, find the same model as a beater for next to no money, and swap it out?
    782 Custom Gunworks LTD
    1545A2 Ocean Ave
    Bohemia, NY 11716
    486-8116

www.782guns.com
    Instagram @782customgunworks
    Facebook 782guns

Open 10AM-7PM Tuesday-Saturday! Closed Sunday and Monday.

Comment

Wall hanger.
      The .410 target loads start at 10,500 psi and only increase from there with hunting loads. The new reciever is a bargain @ $75 compared to medical costs that may be incurred should that gun fail if you try fixing it.

The average 12 ga target load is 8800-9000 psi for comparison.

Comment

Thanks both of you for the responses. I think I ll look for a cheap one with a good receiver and go that route. With the threads being damaged I didn’t think it could be repaired. Thanks for keeping me from doing something stupid.

Comment

i would say wall hanger. I would not dare fire that again. They are cheap guns, you can find another and keep that one on the wall as a memento of your youth. I would not try to get another receiver and rebuild it.

on another note i have been chasing after a Sears bolt action shotgun with a detachable 3 round mag for years. lol

Comment

There was a recall years ago.. (long long long) after they were new, of some bolt action shotguns, but I can't recall if it was Savage or Marlin.
            John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

Working...
            X