Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is TheBest Solvent To Remove Dried/Glazed Cosmoline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highdice View Post

I was going to say that, it takes gum out of carpets and most sticky stuff off what ever you have.
    Yeah it melts roofing tar off tools and hands in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by NYbocce View Post
      Put stock in large garbage bag. Place nozel of blow dryer in opening and cince somewhat tightly, yet allowing for some air to escape slightly when you turn it on. Adjust heat level and airflow so as not to tax the blower. Let the heat melt the cosmoline. Wipe and repeat as needed.
      Get a long narrow box that will hold the gun. Cut a small hole in one end and a larger hole - big enough to fit over your clothes dryer vent - and tape the box over the dryer vent.

Do your laundry. Put the laundry in the dryer. Run the dryer.

When the clothes are dry the cosmoline should be melted.

Comment

Well there's the wrap it in news paper, put it in a black garbage bag and put it on the dash of your car method.

Best thing I've used was Easy-Off oven cleaner, but I wouldn't use that on a lot of things. lol
        John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

Originally posted by 1062_ZEBRA View Post

Get a long narrow box that will hold the gun. Cut a small hole in one end and a larger hole - big enough to fit over your clothes dryer vent - and tape the box over the dryer vent.

Do your laundry. Put the laundry in the dryer. Run the dryer.

When the clothes are dry the cosmoline should be melted.
          Won't that constrict the exhaust for the dryer?
          Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Just make sure the small hole at the opposite end of the box stays clear of obstructions. The heat builds up in the box and the exhaust blows over the gun, melting the cosmoline.

Comment

Put it in a black bag out in the sun. Wipe, repeat. Hairdryer works too.

Comment

Fuck it, flame thrower!! If the flame thrower isnt NY legal, Oxy-acetelyne blow torch.
                Your welcome.

Comment

I am guessing the hot water method will do the trick to remove the dried on glaze. Will let you know when I get around to trying, probably on Monday. Going to enjoy the weekend with Brendan before he has to go back to work.
                  Retired and loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post
                    Fuck it, flame thrower!! If the flame thrower isnt NY legal, Oxy-acetelyne blow torch.
                    Your welcome.
                    They may be legal here in AR.
                    Retired and loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                      What Is The Best Solvent To Remove Dried/Glazed Cosmoline?
                      The blood of your enemies.

Have you tried straight gasoline?
                      It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can read between the lines of their textbooks
                      This world must be witness to revolution every now and then
                      The busted wills and scrapfills of this great nation show you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post

The blood of your enemies.

Have you tried straight gasoline?
                        Apartment living has its limitations. Too dangerous to do around his apartment.
                        Retired and loving it.

Comment

with two M1 carbines from CMP I was fortunate to get during the warmer months of the year, I used the brown wrapping paper (didn't want newsprint ink) in a plastic garbage bag in the sun bit. Finished up with that denatured alcohol (use gloves !!)

Comment

Originally posted by pequa1 View Post
                            with two M1 carbines from CMP I was fortunate to get during the warmer months of the year, I used the brown wrapping paper (didn't want newsprint ink) in a plastic garbage bag in the sun bit. Finished up with that denatured alcohol (use gloves !!)
                            I tried this method on 90+ degree days and didn't do much to an SKS. Many of the methods mentioned here didn't work for me.

Eventually, I set up a table at the range, grabbed a couple of rolls of paper towels, plugged in a heat gun, popped in a Barney Miller DVD and had at it. Slow process, but worked.
                            No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

wife just reminded me that I also used her steam cleaner thing on the second carbine

Comment

Working...
                              X