Rechambering a .308 barrel to 7.62x39 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rechambering a .308 barrel to 7.62x39 project

Sooooo .... its time for a new winter project.
    I would like to build a Savage model 10 in 7.62x39 .... I want a bolt action in that caliber
    I have a model 10 in .243 that will be the primary donor. I also picked up a hog hunter takeoff barrel in .308.
    I haven't overlayed the two chamber profiles yet but I think I'll need to cut off some of the back of the barrel before reaming the new chamber.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

I could be wrong, but I think you have two things to consider. .308 is 7.62x51. I'm thinkin' the chamber is already too big. IIRC, 7.62x39 barrels are actually .311", not .308.

Have you considered a Ruger American?
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...ets/16976.html
    Steve

Comment

From the Savageshooters.com web site: head over there for more info

I want to build a Savage bolt action around a McGowan pre-fit .311” 1:16” twist barrel with 7.62x39 Match chamber.

I’d like to start with one with the AccuStock and AccuTrigger.

Will the 7.62x39 magazine fit any short action model 10, 11, etc?

Which available model/caliber would best suit my needs?
      stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Also... .308's case head (and therefor bolt face) is lager than on the 7.62x39
        John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

It’s a doable project if you have access to the right tools (lathe etc). As mentioned before, the bolt face is an issue.
          while doable, it is far cheaper to just buy a Howa or Zastava Mini Mauser in that caliber.

Comment

Have you considered a CZ 527? It feels like a plinkster with a weight under six pounds and an overall length less that 38 inches, but has the power of an AK.

CZ.jpg

Comment

Ruger American Ranch also comes in 7.62x39, with the option of getting one that takes Mini 30 magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/16976.html

Comment

I've made 7.62x39 bolt guns a few times, we always use a .311" barrel and resize the bolt face on the action, it is pretty labor intensive. I've never done it on a savage. It is neat. Pro Tip, steel cased 7.62x39 shoots as bad from a custom rifle as it does from a stock one.
                Custom rifles, shotguns, pistols, gunsmithing, repairs, consignment services, guns, transfers, ammo and more.

Open 10AM-7PM, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. 12AM- 5PM Wednesday. 8AM-4PM Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Instagram @782customgunworks

Comment

The nice thing about the CZ 527 is that it is good at shooting steel cased ammo. Some American brass does not do as well.

Comment

Savage Scout in 7.62 x 39.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841671824

"The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                      I am aware of the issues with the chamber, bolt face & extractor. I have p/n's for the last two.
                      As for the chamber I would have to cut off about .750" and the chamber would still be too sloppy for my taste.
                      I don't want a CZ [no offense] I will look at the Ruger American .. especially since it shares mags with the Mini-30.
                      I'm going to look at that Scout above too

Comment

Working...
                      X