Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone experienced with removing muzzle devices and replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone experienced with removing muzzle devices and replacing?

Looking to remove a battle comp and replace it with a surefire warcomp on my AR but I don't have a vice or upper lockout tool. Anyone experienced with this stuff?

Did it before, used a vise and upper block. Not sure how feasible without those. Trickiest is if the washer has deformed and you have to "thread" it through the barrel.

Comment

As long as it's not pinned and welded, it should be a simple swap. Am I missing something?

Most muzzle devices I've seen are threaded on and secured with a crush washer or jam nut. Rarely, just run down to the shoulder of the barrel. Very few I've seen use any kind or special tool.

In a pinch, I've had a friend hold the upper while I unthreaded the muzzle device with a combo wrench. Granted, he's 6 foot plus, over 200 lbs, but if it's common stuff, it can be removed with basic tools. Of course a vice block or Reaction Rod type tool would make life easier, but it can be done without them.

You should get a new crush washer.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by -vanguard- View Post
        Looking to remove a battle comp and replace it with a surefire warcomp on my AR but I don't have a vice or upper lockout tool. Anyone experienced with this stuff?
        I have all the tools , if you need a hand pm me , I’m in Nassau
        NRA, NYSRPA, SAF member, Freeport R&R.

Comment

Originally posted by disturbed0013 View Post

I have all the tools , if you need a hand pm me , I’m in Nassau
          Same here for Suffolk (Port Jeff Sta)

Comment

Flattop AR upper? If so used to use two pieces of pine to cushion the upper with the ejection port facing up in a vice. That's how I started years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X