Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for an affordable decent tool set / armorer wrench, etc. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation for an affordable decent tool set / armorer wrench, etc. ?

Finally have all my parts for my first AR-15 build except tools. I have a decent amount of various tools from working on the house to my car, etc. I don't have a roll punch set or an armorer wrench.

Would like to pickup a decent set containing punches, block, armorer wrench and whatever else I'll need under $100. Any recommendations?

Any thoughts on getting the lower end cheapy stuff from Amazon? Will those tools last for one or two AR builds and other occasional gunsmithing work?

Thanks in advance!

Larry Potterfield is your friend.

Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

this is all you need to build many lowers;

Roll pin punch set
      needle nose pliers
      Interchangable hammer with 4 tips (14 bucks amazon)
      razor blade
      scrap 2x4, masking tape, rag
      Applicable screwdriver or hex wrench

a vise and vise mag block or old mag helps
      Last edited by Destro; 10-03-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Ar you just looking to do a build or two, or a lot of builds or mods?

I've got 3 or 4 armorer's wrenches and prefer the Tapco,. The DPMS would be second, but the castle nut tool is a single tooth, and can rip up cheaper, softer (Chinese) castle nuts. The Chinese AR armorers wrenches on Amazon are total garbage, and are to be avoided. I've seen them bend, and in one case, broke a tooth off a barrel nut.

For an punch set, starter punches, and roll pin punches. To make it less likely to avoid scratches and dings, dedicated bolt catch punches are highly recommended. Use a WD-40 straw as a slave pin to keep it aligned as you drive in the roll pin. Something like the content or this kit, but I can't vouch for it's quality:
        https://www.amazon.com/Grip-AR-15-Ro...%2C152&sr=8-25

The trigger guard pin tool will lessen the chance of snapping an ear off a lower, but careful use of roll pin punches will work too.

Armorers block is nice, but a block of wood with a strategically drilled hole or two, can suffice.

A 1/4" clevis pin makes quick work of installing the sometime tricky pivot pin:

But a razor blade will work if you're careful.

Are you building just the lower, or do you need to assemble the upper? Various free float handguard barrel nut sizes are all over the place, some metric, some fractional, and larger than a lot of people have wrenches for, forget a crowfoot if you want to torque it. You'd also need vice blocks and/or a reaction rod type tool. The taper pins on a FSB can be a bear without an armorer's block. Getting gas tube pins can be a bitch to get started.

The deeper you go down the rabbit hole, the more specialty tools will make life a little easier. Whether or not it's worth the money, is personal choice.
        Steve

Comment

I highly suggest getting a front pivot pin tool. They are like $8 and make life so so so easy.

Comment

Real Avid works great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiKzH5bJfs8
            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by -vanguard- View Post
              I highly suggest getting a front pivot pin tool. They are like $8 and make life so so so easy.
              Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
              Clevis pin works exactly the same way, for $3 from Ace Hardware.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
                Indeed! Just finished 1 build and am nearly done with a second and the Real Avid punch and roll pin set with interchangeable head hammer made it stupid easy.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                  Ar you just looking to do a build or two, or a lot of builds or mods?

I've got 3 or 4 armorer's wrenches and prefer the Tapco,. The DPMS would be second, but the castle nut tool is a single tooth, and can rip up cheaper, softer (Chinese) castle nuts. The Chinese AR armorers wrenches on Amazon are total garbage, and are to be avoided. I've seen them bend, and in one case, broke a tooth off a barrel nut.

For an punch set, starter punches, and roll pin punches. To make it less likely to avoid scratches and dings, dedicated bolt catch punches are highly recommended. Use a WD-40 straw as a slave pin to keep it aligned as you drive in the roll pin. Something like the content or this kit, but I can't vouch for it's quality:
                  https://www.amazon.com/Grip-AR-15-Ro...%2C152&sr=8-25

The trigger guard pin tool will lessen the chance of snapping an ear off a lower, but careful use of roll pin punches will work too.

Armorers block is nice, but a block of wood with a strategically drilled hole or two, can suffice.

A 1/4" clevis pin makes quick work of installing the sometime tricky pivot pin:

But a razor blade will work if you're careful.

Are you building just the lower, or do you need to assemble the upper? Various free float handguard barrel nut sizes are all over the place, some metric, some fractional, and larger than a lot of people have wrenches for, forget a crowfoot if you want to torque it. You'd also need vice blocks and/or a reaction rod type tool. The taper pins on a FSB can be a bear without an armorer's block. Getting gas tube pins can be a bitch to get started.

The deeper you go down the rabbit hole, the more specialty tools will make life a little easier. Whether or not it's worth the money, is personal choice.
                  Planning to build one for now. Possibly a second one in a different caliber in the future. Don't see myself building more than 2. But then again, I said the same thing when I got into fly fishing and other hobbies, and next thing I know I have 8 different rods, etc.

Comment

Thanks everyone. This has been extremely helpful! Feeling blessed to be part of such a great group of deplorables. Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Comment

I have a Tapco armorer's wrench. One of the best. I don't think they're made anymore but you might still be able to get them. Most people like Magpul's. But shop around. They're pricey.

Tools (other than what you might already have):
                      • AR armorer's wrench
                      • Roll pin punches (starter and finishing)
                      • Lower vise block (goes in the mag well)
                      • Upper vise block
                      • 1/2" drive torque wrench
                      • Anti-seize grease for the barrel nut and castle nut threads (Umbrella Corp)
                      • 1/4" universal clevis pin (for the pivot pin detent & spring)

Of course, a good vise.
                      To be human is to be armed.

Comment

Working...
                      X