No announcement yet.

Recommendation wanted for Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out Fix It Sticks. I have their field kit. Haven't used it much.
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

For either fixed tip or interchangeable tip, you cannot go wrong with Brownells line of gunsmith specific screwdrivers. There specialty tips for specific applications on a particular firearm make a difference in turning a difficult job into an easy one. If your going the Midway USA route, Grace USA, the aforementioned Chapman, and Forster (rumored to have been subcontracted by Brownells decades ago) are the way to go for quality products. IMHO, Wheeler products, sold by both Brownells and Midway are a cheap, chinesium knockoff of a lot of different products out on the market, avoid at all cost.

Comment

I have a few Chapman kits. One in my locker @ Freeport, another in my range bag, and still another in my gun room. I think they can't be beat.

And they're AMERICAN MADE!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
          For either fixed tip or interchangeable tip, you cannot go wrong with Brownells line of gunsmith specific screwdrivers. There specialty tips for specific applications on a particular firearm make a difference in turning a difficult job into an easy one. If your going the Midway USA route, Grace USA, the aforementioned Chapman, and Forster (rumored to have been subcontracted by Brownells decades ago) are the way to go for quality products. IMHO, Wheeler products, sold by both Brownells and Midway are a cheap, chinesium knockoff of a lot of different products out on the market, avoid at all cost.
          I own a few Grace screwdrivers (flea market purchases). They're not hollow ground, so I'd rule them out for gun work right there. Too much risk of damaging things.
          The steel is pretty good though. I had one with a phillips tip that wore out that I re-forged into my absolute favorite engine seal puller. Plus I do like the wood handles.

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post
          I have a few Chapman kits. One in my locker @ Freeport, another in my range bag, and still another in my gun room. I think they can't be beat.

And they're AMERICAN MADE!
          They're also REALLY nice people to deal with. A+++ customer service! And yes, hollow ground.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

I own a few Grace screwdrivers (flea market purchases). They're not hollow ground, so I'd rule them out for gun work right there. Too much risk of damaging things..
            I have the Grace screwdrivers I linked to above, and if you look in the description, it still says they are hollow ground, which they certainly are not. Wonder how they keep getting away with that. I have so many other screwdrivers, I've never used them.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post
              The steel is pretty good though. I had one with a phillips tip that wore out that I re-forged into my absolute favorite engine seal puller. Plus I do like the wood handles.

can you post a picture of your homemade seal puller?

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post

I have the Grace screwdrivers I linked to above, and if you look in the description, it still says they are hollow ground, which they certainly are not. Wonder how they keep getting away with that. I have so many other screwdrivers, I've never used them.
                I've seen the Grace sets marketed under a few brands. Here's a closeup of the tip of one of these drivers from Garrett Wade:
                12k0405_3_2.jpg
                In theory, that's sort of parallel ground. Wilde sells a set of these same drivers, but they appear to have the traditional taper grind. I think that what the Grace gunsmith drivers are, is just taper ground screwdriver modified at the tip to have a parallel grind for thin slots. That's ok, I suppose, if you know what you're getting into. The ordinary screwdrivers sold by Grace (and Wilde) don't have that extra grind, so they're certainly a true taper grind. The extra grind on the tips of the screwdrivers they market for guns may be helpful, but if that tip is now too narrow for the intended slot, it may be just as harmful as using a taper ground tip.

Normally, we think of parallel ground as done by grinding with a small radius grinding wheel and bringing the tool past tangential to create a flat at the tip, but this is a different way to accomplish it. PB Swiss (a well regarded brand) does something similar (here's their marketing image):
                Parallele%20Spitze1(2).jpg

Personally, I find that the traditional tip we think of as parallel ground puts more metal behind the edge, leaving you with a stronger product. This is especially important in a "cabinet tip" driver, where you are not able to use a driver wider than the slot, since it must fit into a recess.
                Last edited by rlitman; 01-06-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X