which rattle can to paint an m4gery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which rattle can to paint an m4gery?

Did some looking online, and a few people recommended The Krylon Camouflage spray paint......which I can't seem to find locally.

Anyone have any suggestions or good experience with a specific spray paint to hit up a rifle? I'm not looking for cerakote levels of finish here, really trying to make it "field authentic" and just have fun with something I have laying around.

I guess another option would be brownells alumahyde. Thoughts?

-Vick
    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Always had good results using Krylon products on anything.

Comment

Krylon ---- put the desired color in a pan of very hot water for about 5 minutes - repeat --- spray on about 5 lite dusting coats allowing time to dry ---- if you want a dull Matt finish ---- same procedure with Matt clear -----

Wifey's third birthday rifle --

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
        SemiAutoFetish commented
        Editing a comment
        Your wife got this nice looking Mosin @ 3 years old????

Originally posted by Ricekila View Post
      Krylon ---- put the desired color in a pan of very hot water for about 5 minutes - repeat --- spray on about 5 lite dusting coats allowing time to dry ---- if you want a dull Matt finish ---- same procedure with Matt clear -----

Wifey's third birthday rifle --

Did you use any specific krylon or just the normal stuff?

why the hot water bath? Sprays out smoother?
      High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

• Ricekila
        Ricekila commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep --- smoother - but I still color wet sand a bit --

Imgp9933.jpg
      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• Volkosupply
        Volkosupply commented
        Editing a comment
        Yah now to find some. Hardware store by my house didn’t have. I’ll check the one by the shop n

EvoEmpire is your man.

Comment

I like the Alumahyde II, but it goes on thick so no spraying in areas that have/need tight tolerances.

Comment

My local ace carries the rustoleum camo line but I haven't used it. Should be local so you can try it out.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...urpose/1805423

Comment

I have been using VHT caliper paint they sell at autozone. Under $10 a can and it’s rated for high heat and solvents. Typically gives a real good look and it holds up well too. Probably real close to the alumahyde but half the price and easily purchased locally.

I’ve done a bunch of small parts as well as an old A1 stock set after I touched up with Bondo and it has held up well.

Comment

I know you're not looking for anything "crazy" but, cerakote offers a "air cure" series. You can get small tester size colors. You can get little disposable air sprayers from home depot. Use the cerakote and have a much stronger, scratch resistant and rust protected firearm. JMO, after painting a lot of guns with and without cerakote.

Comment

• Volkosupply
                Volkosupply commented
                Editing a comment
                so something like this kit?

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerako...t-tester-19995

Can I spray this in my basement without stinking out the house? Don't really want to leave a rifle hanging in my garage for a day.

Is this the home depot sprayer?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9...-267/202533738

-vick

• Barnslayer
                Barnslayer commented
                Editing a comment
                I've used the Preval sprayer with hobby paints (no longer available Floquil). They were enamels thinned with lacquer thinner. Worked great! You might want to get a second propellant can. They freeze up with continued use.

• EvoEmpire
                EvoEmpire commented
                Editing a comment
                I would not spray anything inside the house. Use proper ventilation and def a respirator.

Yes, that’s the sprayer I was talking about. Cerakote will clog it up pretty quick so be prepared to clean with acetone or buy additional, lol

Rust-oleum has their own version of the same thing. You could also try Testors Model Master spray cans at an art or hobby shop.

https://www.testors.com/product-cata...-enamel/sprays
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Prevals will get it done, keep in mind that the prep work is much more important with cera/dura/gunkote than with krylon. Nothing crazy or difficult, but it directly impacts the quality and longevity of the finish.

Comment

If you are painting a plastic or fiberglass surface the Krylon Fusion paint is incredible. It melts its way into the plastic and sticks like an original gelcoat.

I'm digging around for a picture of a rifle that I did with it that came out great...
                  LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

Sorry the pictures are from the semi-dark basement...

Here's a Remington 700 Police that I rattle canned with Krylon Fusion several years ago. Looks like it was just done. The Fusion sticks like it is baked in to the original finish.

I call it Urban Camo because I made the various silhouette shapes and textures with junk found in the parking lot of my store.

700 1.jpg

700 4.jpg

700 3.jpg
                    700 2.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• Volkosupply
                      Volkosupply commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How does the fusion stick to metal?

• Ricekila
                      Ricekila commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do I see an outline of keys I dropped in your parking lot ?
                  Working...
                  X