Three Year In-Depth Review: The Kahr CW380

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Year In-Depth Review: The Kahr CW380

Kahr revealed the P380 at the 2007 SHOT Show, and the P380 went in production in 2009. The P380 looks exactly like a scaled-down PM9, and is a mere 11 ounces in weight and .75 inches thick. And while the Kahr P380 is superior in design, build, and function to the Kel-Tec P3AT, the Kahr offering significantly out-cashed both the Ruger and Kel-Tec: Street price on the Kahr P380 is about $525, while the excellent Ruger LCP can be had for about $200-300. Even if the Kahr may be the superior of these three models, the Ruger and Kel-Tec .380s are still well-made and reliable, and it is difficult to justify paying double for the Kahr P380.

However, that dynamic completely changed in 2013 when Kahr added the P380 to its value line, designated by the “CW” prefix. According to Kahr: “Differences between the Kahr CW380 and Kahr P380 models include: the CW series has a conventional rifled barrel instead of the match grade polygonal barrel found on P models; the CW slide stop lever is MIM (metal-injection-molded) instead of machined; the CW series slide has fewer machining operations, and uses simple roll marking instead of engraved markings; the P380 comes with two magazines, but the CW series comes with one 6 rd steel magazine with flush baseplate.

The street price of the Kahr CW380 is about $275 (prices have hit ~$250 for the CW380). Are the upgraded barrel, slide stop, and front sight worth double the price for a pocket .380?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...rs-kahr-cw380/

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

On a slightly similar, yet different note, I recently considered the Kahr CW9 for pocket carry. I've got an older K9 and consider it to be an excellent handgun. HOWEVER, when I tried the new CW9, I found myself quite underwhelmed. The trigger would need to improve considerably, just to be horrible. Now, I'm not adverse to a DAO style trigger, but this one was so gritty it wasn't funny.

I'll pass. And when I get a gun thought into my head, I rarely ever pass.

Comment

I've had a Kahr PM9 since they came out. It eats everything good - I haven't tried cheap ammo through it. It is a fantastic light-clothing carry gun for me.

It has a loooonger trigger pull, but smooth and light. Those with long fingers might find this a bad fit. The tip of your trigger finger may hit the frame before the striker releases.
      Last edited by Dan 0351; 12-03-2017, 11:50 AM.
      No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
        I've had a Kahr PM9 since they came out. It eats everything good - I haven't tried cheep ammo through it. It is a fantastic light-clothing carry gun for me.

It has a loooonger trigger pull, but smooth and light. Those with long fingers might find this a bad fit. The tip of your trigger finger may hit the frame before the striker releases.
        My PM9 eats everything including Tula steel case 9mm

Comment

I've got about 250 rounds or so with my CW380. Still having some FTF / FTE issues with it, so I haven't declared it operational yet. I do like the way it shoots very much though, once I get a clean range session I'll put it into service. So much better than the LCP I had.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
            I've got about 250 rounds or so with my CW380. Still having some FTF / FTE issues with it, so I haven't declared it operational yet. I do like the way it shoots very much though, once I get a clean range session I'll put it into service. So much better than the LCP I had.
            What ammo are you using?

- U.S. Marines

Comment

That's a steal at $250
              The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

My CW380 doesn't like Fiocchi. It will double feed on every mag. Winchester and Federal are no problem.

Comment

The Ruger lip was $169 this week, that’s a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post
                    On a slightly similar, yet different note, I recently considered the Kahr CW9 for pocket carry. I've got an older K9 and consider it to be an excellent handgun. HOWEVER, when I tried the new CW9, I found myself quite underwhelmed. The trigger would need to improve considerably, just to be horrible. Now, I'm not adverse to a DAO style trigger, but this one was so gritty it wasn't funny.

I'll pass. And when I get a gun thought into my head, I rarely ever pass.
                    I do believe I've tried your older K9 at Freeport and agree that it was a good shooter. Thank you for letting me try it. I ended up with a Sig 290RS. But a good trigger on the K9.

Comment

What ammo are you using?
                      Was using what I had on hand. PPU, Remington and Aguila. It was pretty dirty so I scrubbed it up nice, next visit will be a good test. I am a bit suspicious that the recoil spring may not be strong enough, but we'll test a little further.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post

Was using what I had on hand. PPU, Remington and Aguila. It was pretty dirty so I scrubbed it up nice, next visit will be a good test. I am a bit suspicious that the recoil spring may not be strong enough, but we'll test a little further.
                        Be careful of week recoil springs. I had a noticeably weak recoil spring in my Para Ordnance. Second round of the day, about an inch of my slide breaks off and goes downrange about 7 yards. I felt it happen so I slowly turned the pistol in my hand trying to figure out what happened and noticed the broken slide without a front sight, and my recoil spring sticking out past my frame.....my friend next to me just started to bust out laughing.....good friend .

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Be careful of week recoil springs. I had a noticeably weak recoil spring in my Para Ordnance. Second round of the day, about an inch of my slide breaks off and goes downrange about 7 yards. I felt it happen so I slowly turned the pistol in my hand trying to figure out what happened and noticed the broken slide without a front sight, and my recoil spring sticking out past my frame.....my friend next to me just started to bust out laughing.....good friend .
                          At least I'd make sure your ok before I start laughing. Because I'm a good guy 😉

Comment

I did look to see if Wolff makes a replacement spring for the Kahr 380's and unfortunately they don't. I had a similar issue with my old LCP. Swapped out the spring and no more failure to go into battery.

Comment

Working...
                            X