Gun Case Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Case Foam

Good morning to my favorite group of lunatics I hope you're all doing well.

Question on case foam. I'm going to make a case for my Mosin using Woodland camo fabric and a heavy duty zipper. First I have to cut the fabric to size, sew up half of it, then sew on half the zipper. That's were inserting the foam comes which isn't a problem other than I don't know what kind to use. Seems there's high density, medium density, soy based, etc. Who knew?!

I just read some info on a site called Carolina Custom Foam and it looks like there are a lot of options out there and they can even custom cut the foam for me (I'd have to email them my requirements to get a quote).

Can any of you help me with this? Maybe foam isn't the way to go and there's another option out there? I can't afford to mess up my little project.

Many thanks

What about using pillow fill? Then sew more material over that. Sew in additional lines/rows to keep the fill from bunching up.

Love,
    Pedro
    Have a nice day.

Comment

Always thinking Pedro but I think pillow fill would be too fluffy and would look all bumpy, kind of like how your comforter gets all bumpy if you wash/dry it versus dry cleaning I want the case to look nice and firm.

Comment

I don't know if foam is spec'd this way but see if any are chemical resistant to the stuff used on firearms for cleaning etc.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

You gotta really really stuff it in there.
          Besides, how often did you plan on washing/drying your gun case?
          Brat.
          Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
            I don't know if foam is spec'd this way but see if any are chemical resistant to the stuff used on firearms for cleaning etc.
            Carolina Custom custom cuts foam for gun cases (all they need are your measurements) so I figure the materials they use are good to go. I'm going to use a separate piece of fabric on the inside so the gun won't be touching the foam but you give good advice. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Shmoe View Post
              You gotta really really stuff it in there.
              Besides, how often did you plan on washing/drying your gun case?
              Brat.
              I hear you but it would be all lumpy looking, even if I didn't put it in the Maytag, ya moron

Comment

Originally posted by Lovemyglock View Post

Carolina Custom custom cuts foam for gun cases (all they need are your measurements) so I figure the materials they use are good to go. I'm going to use a separate piece of fabric on the inside so the gun won't be touching the foam but you give good advice. Thanks
                So...what are your measurements?

I understand that some foam retains moisture, so that might be something to avoid.
                “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
                Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Some older gun cases I have use what I can only describe as some kind of fluffy, sheep like material. Kind of like what you would find on the collar of some jackets back in the day. Only a little thicker. It is very soft, but not overly puffy.
                  As you can tell, I know nothing about fabric, lol.

Comment

I hear you but it would be all lumpy looking, even if I didn't put it in the Maytag, ya moron
                    Lumpy.....are we still talking about gun cases?
                    Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

So...what are your measurements?

I understand that some foam retains moisture, so that might be something to avoid.
                      haha, not what they used to be bud!

The place I'm talking about has probably weeded out the foam that retains moisture and only uses gun-safe foam. They seem pretty credible but then again, I don't know anything about foam for gun cases

Comment

Good morning to my favorite group of lunatics I hope you're all doing well.

Question on case foam. I'm going to make a case for my Mosin using Woodland camo fabric and a heavy duty zipper. First I have to cut the fabric to size, sew up half of it, then sew on half the zipper. That's were inserting the foam comes which isn't a problem other than I don't know what kind to use. Seems there's high density, medium density, soy based, etc. Who knew?!

I just read some info on a site called Carolina Custom Foam and it looks like there are a lot of options out there and they can even custom cut the foam for me (I'd have to email them my requirements to get a quote).

Can any of you help me with this? Maybe foam isn't the way to go and there's another option out there? I can't afford to mess up my little project.

Many thanks
                        Hey. Does this mean you're actually going to shoot it?

Comment

Originally posted by pandm View Post

Hey. Does this mean you're actually going to shoot it?
                          You're kidding, right? That would require a trip beyond the Bedrock city limits

Comment

I saw a neat thing years ago. A guy took a Thompson and made an old guitar case into a custom gun case. He wrapped the entire gun in a few layers of clear food wrap and then filled the whole case with expanding cans of spray foam. He pushed the gun in and let it dry. Pulled the gun out and glued some felt to the foam and a custom case was born.
                            Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

Let me get this right...you have a 70 year old battle scared rifle that still bleeds cozmoline on hot days, that set you back 99 bucks.

now you want to spend $200 on a project to protect fluffy? Why not get a pillow case filled with pebbles and carry it in that? Or!! Will that scratch the pink paint on the stock?? 😊

Comment

Working...
                              X