So whose selling stun guns and tasers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanJ View Post
    Again, I would consult a lawyer first. I don't think most police officers are aware of the upstate judge's decision and as I posted previously, I don't think that has changed the penal law at this time - it definitely didn't a couple of weeks ago with the Nassau DA's office.

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:

(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun,

If someone knows differently, please correct me!
    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I personally wouldn't carry a stun gun for defense. They won't stop even a half-determined attacker. Guys zap each other with them in police locker rooms while grab-assing, it won't stop a bad guy. A REAL Taser CAN be effective - but only under the right circumstances. I'm not too sure about the other types of tasers out there.
      I wouldn’t either if I could carry a handgun everywhere I went but it’s simply not the case here. Plenty of situations where is just not effective too depending on the time of year and clothing. Its limitations certainly need to be understood. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a place though, especially in NY. It’s also worth noting that since they are much less restricted than handguns, other states do not require permits ( yes some do) but it make more traveling more flexible as well.
      They have a place in the tool bag, or my wife’s purse, certainly not the best option I’d agree, but an option.

Comment

Just left Benson's. Looks like they won't be carrying the firing ones but they will have the handheld ones. Said they don't plan to sell the firing because they look too much like guns. They'll be doing 21+ sales only.
        also they sold out almost immediately over the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post

I wouldn’t either if I could carry a handgun everywhere I went but it’s simply not the case here. Plenty of situations where is just not effective too depending on the time of year and clothing. Its limitations certainly need to be understood. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a place though, especially in NY. It’s also worth noting that since they are much less restricted than handguns, other states do not require permits ( yes some do) but it make more traveling more flexible as well.
          They have a place in the tool bag, or my wife’s purse, certainly not the best option I’d agree, but an option.
          What I find interesting is that if you have a Nassau or Suffolk "carry" pistol license with to/from range restrictions, if you're not to/from a range, it's only an administrative violation. BUT, as of a couple of weeks ago in Nassau, if you also have a stun gun/Taser-type device - you can be arrested.

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
          Just left Benson's. Looks like they won't be carrying the firing ones but they will have the handheld ones. Said they don't plan to sell the firing because they look too much like guns. They'll be doing 21+ sales only.
          also they sold out almost immediately over the weekend
          I'm assuming Benson's asked (Suffolk PD?) and was told that stun guns were 100% LEGAL to possess and carry - can anyone confirm this and who/what/when/where, etc.?

Again, I'm hoping someone will clarify this. It appears that nunchucks, gravity knives, stun guns and Taser-type devices have been recently ruled on in certain courts. I've been told that those court rulings have NOT changed the law here, at this time. I'm VERY cautiously optimistic - but want definitive answers before I tell anyone I know what is legal or not.
          No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

What I find interesting is that if you have a Nassau or Suffolk "carry" pistol license with to/from range restrictions, if you're not to/from a range, it's only an administrative violation. BUT, as of a couple of weeks ago in Nassau, if you also have a stun gun/Taser-type device - you can be arrested.
            Valid point.

Nither are ideal situations though and I think there is a better chance of seeing the all clear or something close to it in regard to stun guns/tasers than seeing those to and from range restrictions dropped. Could be false hopes too.

Comment

I'm assuming Benson's asked (Suffolk PD?) and was told that stun guns were 100% LEGAL to possess and carry - can anyone confirm this and who/what/when/where, etc.?
              The way he said it to me, it sounded like they were going solely off the ruling and not from any police confirmation, however knowing how the owner operates I wouldn't be surprised if they went through a full conversation with Suffolk pd.

Comment

Took the trip out there. They were sold out, but getting more in soon. So I ordered one for my wife and myself. Dealt with the lady with blonde hair, and man with dark hair (owners, maybe?) regardless, they were very courteous. Prices were extremely fair. And bought a mag for my 92fs.......had to leave with something while waiting for the other items to come in. Lol

Comment

Working...
                X