Any leather-smiths in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any leather-smiths in the house?

So I ordered a holster online for a 2” bbl and it arrived as a 4”. I needed it in a hurry and don’t have time to return it before an upcoming trip.
    Anyone have skills with leather? I’d like to cut it down so it isn’t so oversized but I don’t want to ruin the rig.

Anyone?

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
    So I ordered a holster online for a 2” bbl and it arrived as a 4”. I needed it in a hurry and don’t have time to return it before an upcoming trip.
    Anyone have skills with leather? I’d like to cut it down so it isn’t so oversized but I don’t want to ruin the rig.

Anyone?
    What gun - maybe one of us has something you can borrow while you send it back?
    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I can let you borrow a pair of leather shoes, does that help?
      Last edited by spider; 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Cut off 1.5 inches and file down the rough edges. When you have time to bring it in, the leatherworker will have enough to work with.

I cut down myself a S&W K-frame revolver holster I received free from a member, and it works fine.

I also second the post of Dan 0351 above.
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
          Cut off 1.5 inches and file down the rough edges. When you have time to bring it in, the leatherworker will have enough to work with.

I cut down myself a S&W K-frame revolver holster I received free from a member, and it works fine.

I also second the post of Dan 0351 above.
          ​​​​​
          That was my first impulse, just cut it down. Wasn’t as worried about the leather as the stitching.

I am probably overthinking it.

Comment

That was my first impulse, just cut it down. Wasn’t as worried about the leather as the stitching.

I am probably overthinking it.
            The stiching will hold for the trip. I guess you could put a dab of glue to ensure that. The leatherworker will need to restich at least the new bottom portion anyway.

If you didn't pay a lot for this holster or if you won't be using it a lot, you are probably overthinking it.

Unless it's an unusual gun though, I'm sure someone here can lend you a 4" holster.

Comment

Anyone?
              Stroke the barrel and get it excited?
              "Except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall God governs in the affairs of men. I have lived, Sir, a long time..."
              Ben Franklin, arguably our least faith driven founding father

Comment

There's a shoemaker in Greenlawn could probably help
                NRA Patron Life Member
                Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
                NRA RSO

Comment

It’s a S&W N frame revolver in 2”. It’s a nice holster, they (CTD, I posted a while back about holster sale...this is karma) sent a 4” holster which is just stupidly big for the gun.
                  One of our premier members said he may have a loaner, if not I’ll run it to a shoemaker and see if they’ll take care of it. Worst case I throw a $90 holster up here for $50 clams and someone who can use it gets it at a bargain.

Comment

Cut off 1.5 inches Dan 0351 above.​​​​​
                    That's as far as I got when Lorena Bobbet came to mind

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post

Check the cooler, there's bound to be one that fits.

Comment

Anyone?
                        I used to work with leather ,gave most of my tools away just look at it ,if it appears that there are not structural issues in the extra 2 inches put you gun in ,measure than cut, use super sharp scissors one layer ate at time. Rub the edge down with 800-1000 grit sand paper ,and you’ll need a bevel (maybe) leave it for now and it you want color back on it use a magic marker.temporarily .

Comment

It’s a S&W N frame revolver in 2”. It’s a nice holster, they (CTD, I posted a while back about holster sale...this is karma) sent a 4” holster which is just stupidly big for the gun.
                          One of our premier members said he may have a loaner, if not I’ll run it to a shoemaker and see if they’ll take care of it. Worst case I throw a $90 holster up here for $50 clams and someone who can use it gets it at a bargain.
                          I have a holster that will work for you inside rh, very simple Desantas. I can ZpM you a pix. But I’m out in E Patchogue.i could meet you someplace if there were a ice cream stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post

From what I hear about Dan 0351 , now that he found his perfect pistol, I would need a diamond-tipped blade to cut that thing!
                            ​​​

Comment

From what I hear about Dan 0351 , now that he found his perfect pistol, I would need a diamond-tipped blade to cut that thing!
                              ​​​
                              Not even this would make a scratch! LOL
                              No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Working...
                              X