Body Armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E View Post

That and they are much cheaper than ceramic, but tend to be much heavier.
    Thanks for the response.
    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Originally posted by Synner View Post

Thanks for the response.
      The issue with steel is with spalling. The bullet fragments spraying you in neck/face or other appendages. There’s a rubber coating to help stop that. But it’s not as good as ceramic plates. Plus ceramic stops most rounds up to 30-06 AP.

Comment

My approach to armor is: if you are thinking to get one- get the best YOUR money can buy. If you need it, you wont regret it ever. Literately your life depends on it. Even if your gun malfunction you still have chance to survive, unlike when bullet hit you and you have tinfoil on your chest to stop it

Comment

At the minimum I would get level III+

AR500 has them in ultra light and thin modules which only weigh like 6 lbs 10x12. They are a bit more pricey than the standard, but for $100 buck more you save a few lbs for the same protection of up the m855 5.56. I really like their Veritas carrier since its the most modular. Buy the bear minimum now and add a cummerbund, side plates, extra pouches etc later on.

Still would suck getting shot in the dick tho.

Comment

On a related topic, what color plate carrier does everyone think is best - Black, Coyote/Tan, Gray, Camo?

Seems to me tan would look most like a regular jacket or item of clothing from a distance than black or camo. But black would be better if you needed low visibility at night or low light situation.

I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
            I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
              On a related topic, what color plate carrier does everyone think is best - Black, Coyote/Tan, Gray, Camo?

Seems to me tan would look most like a regular jacket or item of clothing from a distance than black or camo. But black would be better if you needed low visibility at night or low light situation.
              You would think so, right. No, black is the not the best color in the night. Most of the time black stands out as too dark spot in the night. If you trying to think outside the camo- dark green, dark grey or ten. Summer forest, city and sandy environment.

Comment

True story: bunch of people passed me less then 10 yards away, without spotting me, in the summer forest. Funny part- I was in sky blue, city camo. It is not what you wear, but how you blend in.

Comment

If you don’t want it to be obvious to others, wear a jacket under the vest in the same color. It’ll make it look more like it’s all one garment. Velcro on a team or sports equipment logo to add to the distraction.
                  Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Total preference as any plate carrier I've ever seen looks like exactly that.

The only camouflage that will be effective in most circumstances is to wear a jacket over it.
                    Last edited by Range Time; 08-17-2019, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Amazing. As if no one uses DuckDuckGo or some other Google alternative.

Sportsmens Guide sells plates from China up to level 4 made essentially from milk jug plastic, or UHMWPE.

There are Youtube videos of home made armor plates made literally from recycled milk jug plastic with varying degrees of effectiveness.

You could, using UHMWPE, construct white Storm Trooper armor that actually protects you from numerous ballistic threats

The hoarding of milk jugs, if this "law" is enacted becomes a felony. So would possession of dumbell and barbell plates. Federal "constructive possession" is quite the bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian View Post

You would think so, right. No, black is the not the best color in the night. Most of the time black stands out as too dark spot in the night. If you trying to think outside the camo- dark green, dark grey or ten. Summer forest, city and sandy environment.
                        +1 We used to be able to see OpFor at night because their black watch caps would stand out.
                        "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by Synner View Post

I ordered the 99 buck special. Do I expect it to work a miracle? No. But for the price and what it is, if I tossed it on at night if God forbid I needed to I’d feel a little better. In fact I’d let my wife wear it and stay put. Or depending on how I feel about her I’d let her go check things out.... (I’m kidding, I’m kidding).

Besides - we know the ban is coming and I’ve spent 100 bucks on far worse crap.
                          Any chance you received your "Freeman" body armor yet?

They brought the sale back, and after seeing the relative size of the smaller armor in the picture below, I'm considering it again.

(It's the one on the left. Note the diamond shape of the plates.)

Body Armor.png

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

+1 We used to be able to see OpFor at night because their black watch caps would stand out.
                            Was that an infrared signature? I remember reading black leather stood out. Also the night desert camo parka that came out back in the early 90's designed to provide protection against night scopes.
                            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

Was that an infrared signature? I remember reading black leather stood out. Also the night desert camo parka that came out back in the early 90's designed to provide protection against night scopes.
                              Binos, certain NODS (late 80's/early 90's) and regular eyesight - black stands out at night.
                              "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

Any chance you received your "Freeman" body armor yet?

They brought the sale back, and after seeing the relative size of the smaller armor in the picture below, I'm considering it again.

(It's the one on the left. Note the diamond shape of the plates.)

Body Armor.png
                                I have not. When I ordered it I was quoted a ten week lead time.
                                NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
                                NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
                                Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Working...
                                X