Electronic Hearing Protection ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Hearing Protection ???

My Peltor Tactical Electronic muffs are getting old and are starting to crack. I'm looking to replace them and I'm looking for the highest NRR (Noise ReductionRating) available. Definitely something better than the Impact Sports.

Any suggestions?

I never owned electronic ear protection. Am I wrong in thinking their NNR is less than the simple Howard Leight ear plugs (33NRR) + earmuffs with 30+ NRR?
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I wear foam ear plugs with Howard Leigh’s Impact Sport Earmuffs (NRR 22db) over them. The Howard Leigh’s work well, but are definitely not enough protection by themselves.

I can hear normal conversations with the earmuffs and the foam ear plugs on.

Comment

I've found that the Impact Sports are adequate for pistols but sometimes, indoors, I wear foam plugs under them. The cheek weld seems to be poor when I shoot rifles. These have a better weld and seemed to offer better actual NRR, but they are bulky, compared to the Sports. Then I broke them but I'm bad like that. :-(

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
        Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
        Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

I have the big Howard Leight ones. They suck when shooting from certain positions on the ground.

Just got a pair of the MSA . They are super comfortable but havent shot with them yet.

Comment

WHAT!!!!??

Comment

I have the Walker Razor Slim muffs. They are comfortable and fine by themselves for rifle or pistol for outdoor use. They are low profile and don’t interfere with cheek weld for rifles. For indoor use, I always double up with Hearos extreme foam plugs underneath either Pro Ear Ultra sleek if I’m shooting rifles or Pro Ear Ultra Pro if just shooting pistols.

Comment

Buy Peltor Sport Tactical 500 Smart Electronic Hearing Protector for shooting & hunting: Earmuffs - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
                NRA, NYSRPA, SAF member, Freeport R&R.

Comment

Those peltors are $100.00 and have the same rating as all the others?

And no, taking phone calls via blue tooth while shooting is not a feature, that's a distraction and shouldn't be allowed on the range line.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
                    I have the Walker Razor Slim muffs. They are comfortable and fine by themselves for rifle or pistol for outdoor use. They are low profile and don’t interfere with cheek weld for rifles. For indoor use, I always double up with Hearos extreme foam plugs underneath either Pro Ear Ultra sleek if I’m shooting rifles or Pro Ear Ultra Pro if just shooting pistols.
                    Exactly the same for me.

Comment

IMHO good decibel reduction and electronic muffs don’t go hand in hand. You necessarily lose dampening material to the electronics/speakers/batteries. And it’s further diminished if you’re looking for a low profile set.

I have the Howard Leights but I wouldn’t wear them without soft plugs. The stuff liners suck, more so because your eyepro has impedes the seal.

I have Peltor TacPros. Pull off the shitty stiff liner and get the gel inserts. Add soft plugs, max the Peltor volume and you’re golden. I was on the line for two separate 3 day carbine classes over two weeks with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHVXKVA..._lSoODbPE03DF9
                      When they kick out your front door
                      How you gonna come?
                      With your hands on your head
                      Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

I've had Howard Leights electronic for years. I'm actually looking to upgrade. MSA Sordin Pro X look good, a little less expensive than the Peltor com iii ( designed for use with radios). Peltor com iii Hearing Defenders are also less expensive.

Comment

My friend uses electronic and likes them.

I used a pair once at a LGS that shall not be named. I liked them.

I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                          I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

So, I ended up replacing my Peltors with another set of Peltor Tactical Sports. Then I ordered the Pro Ears Gold units.Almost double the money, but definitely nicer. But ... BIGGER. The pads on the inside that cup my ears are a super soft leather, and Pro Ears claims that they reduce the sweating. Time will tell. The one set I wanted to check out but couldn't was the MSA Sordin units. But I might end up buying them for comparison at a later date. At a price point between $250-300.00 they better be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post
                              My Peltor Tactical Electronic muffs are getting old and are starting to crack....
                              Any suggestions?
                              Yeah. Buy a Peltor hygiene kit for your muffs. That replaces the pads and the foam inserts and they'll be like new.

Comment

Working...
                              X