Bicycle Tire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post

I worked in a competing shop. I know where it was, but never set foot in the place. A friend of mine occasionally hung out, or maybe even have worked there, but I’m not sure.
    Do you know he became (an other) later in life?
    The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

Didn't know him (her?) at all.
      Steve

Comment

We might have been down this road before but I forget.

Do you remember Dr. Bike in Merrick?
        Yes. I worked there for a short time.

I seem to remember him picking up and moving to Arizona or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

Yes. I worked there for a short time.

I seem to remember him picking up and moving to Arizona or something like that.
          Remember Ian? He filled me in when I ran into him playing in a band in Freeport.
          The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Remember Ian? He filled me in when I ran into him playing in a band in Freeport.
            I can't say that I do, but my memory from that far back is pretty hazy at best.

Comment

a friend of mine in Southampton rode his bicycle from Montauk to San Diego to benefit Wounded Warriors

Comment

I have another question. Does this rear tire still have life left in it or should I replace it? The front is fine.
                If it needs replacing, any brands to avoid? Anything else I need to know?

F02E9F24-6505-45EF-964A-CC0E80B6ACE9.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                  I have another question. Does this rear tire still have life left in it or should I replace it? The front is fine.
                  If it needs replacing, any brands to avoid? Anything else I need to know?

F02E9F24-6505-45EF-964A-CC0E80B6ACE9.jpeg
                  Hard to say - look up the make/model of the tire online and see if the pics show any tread in the middle of the tire. If yes then I'd say it's time to replace it.

Getting a flat 10 miles from home sucks. Getting a flat 10 miles from home without a patch kit or spare tube and a pump means calling the house for a pick up. About 6 years ago I was doing almost nightly rides out to point lookout and back. One evening around dusk I got a flat in Lido. The gnats and green flies were out in force. I felt like a nascar pit crew trying to get the wheel off, tire off, tube out, new tube in, tire on, wheel back on and inflated. Couldn't get moving fast enough - I was getting eaten alive.

A few times having a car buzz me at 50+mph on Lido Blvd caused me to rethink my exercise regimen... Now I don't ride locally unless I load my bike up and hit the bike path from Wantagh down to Jones out to Tobay and back. Otherwise my biking is limited to city streets where I actually feel safer than riding on the streets in Long Island. I use a citibike to get from the LIRR to work and vice versa. About 4 miles each way - great way to start and finish the day and avoid the subway at the same time.

For replacement tires look into Maxxus Hookworms or Schwalbe Big Apple tires. They have a reputation for being fairly puncture resistant.
                  panem et circenses

Comment

New tube should be good u less you see massive dry rot on the sidewalls.

Comment

If you are planning on continuous use might as well spend 50$ and get new tires and tubes and not have tomworry about it for another 14yrs.

Comment

I bought my Univega used in '86. It's been stored in unheated barns every winter. The tires wouldn't hold air last year so we bought her some new kicks.
                        Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Without seeing what the tire looked like originally, or at least compared to the front, if it's the same brand/model of tire, it's tough to say. An awful lot of hybrid tires are smooth in the middle to lower rolling resistance while going relatively straight. In the 80's Avocet came out with completely slick road tires, claiming the high PSI of a rider and bike's weight compared to the tiny contact patch of a high pressure narrow road tire would squeeze out any rain. Wider, lower PSI hybrid? Not so much.

My guess, going by a fuzzy interwebz picture is, if you keep the tire inflated, and don't ride on dirt much, that tire may have another few months in it. If you see any sign of cord, replace it.

Don't look for better tires on EvilBay. Years ago, Cheng Shin, IRC, and Kenda made a passable lower cost replacement tire. With everything coming out of China, who knows?

Look online at Performance Bike or Nashbar. Their clientele is at least more serious cyclists. See what they have in your price range.

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...e-tires/c15343

https://www.nashbar.com/bike-bicycle-tires/c15343

ETA: Their sites look identical. No idea if they merged or one bought the other.
                          Steve

Comment

Without seeing what the tire looked like originally, or at least compared to the front, if it's the same brand/model of tire, it's tough to say. An awful lot of hybrid tires are smooth in the middle to lower rolling resistance while going relatively straight. In the 80's Avocet came out with completely slick road tires, claiming the high PSI of a rider and bike's weight compared to the tiny contact patch of a high pressure narrow road tire would squeeze out any rain. Wider, lower PSI hybrid? Not so much.

My guess, going by a fuzzy interwebz picture is, if you keep the tire inflated, and don't ride on dirt much, that tire may have another few months in it. If you see any sign of cord, replace it.

Don't look for better tires on EvilBay. Years ago, Cheng Shin, IRC, and Kenda made a passable lower cost replacement tire. With everything coming out of China, who knows?

Look online at Performance Bike or Nashbar. Their clientele is at least more serious cyclists. See what they have in your price range.

ETA: Their sites look identical. No idea if they merged or one bought the other.
                            Here is the front. There is a significant difference in wear.

6FE72A9D-3DA5-400C-914B-C4442B937EAA.jpeg

Comment

Is it something I should consider getting at a local bike shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

Is it something I should consider getting at a local bike shop?
                                They'll most likely have the same stuff as on line, but at a higher price. How much higher, and if it's worth it, will have to be up to you.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X