Muzzle brakes; ability to stay on target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle brakes; ability to stay on target

Cool article that tests different brakes. Need to pick one for my ruger precision.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...tay-on-target/

How do you like the Ruger?

Comment

Haven't played with it yet. Need to setup an optic. But it feels solid. nice action. So far I'm happy with it. Hope to shoot it soon.

Comment

Cal did a good job with this however I don't understand part of his methodology, he doesn't have the gun shouldered, I would imagine that effects things. I have used, use most of the brakes he tested. The Surefire brake really works pretty well when you shoot it prone. That is the one change I would have liked to see.

Comment

I am sure I can Google this and find out ,but what does a muzzle brake do? different than Porting? and can any long center fire rifle have one?

Comment

Although I haven't taken the plunge yet as I really hate sitting next to someone shooting with one, I do a have one rifle that I want to add one to.
            I have a mountain of reviews and one particularly good and in depth one, but I won't be near that computer until Sunday. If I can remember, I'll post it here on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by pandm View Post
              Although I haven't taken the plunge yet as I really hate sitting next to someone shooting with one, I do a have one rifle that I want to add one to.
              I have a mountain of reviews and one particularly good and in depth one, but I won't be near that computer until Sunday. If I can remember, I'll post it here on Sunday.
              Guilty...The road blocker brake on my AR 30 , is killer for the people shooting to the right and left of me..I do give them a heads up, that's the least I can do. ..

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
                I am sure I can Google this and find out ,but what does a muzzle brake do? different than Porting? and can any long center fire rifle have one?
                Let's start with a primer: Gases leaving the barrel act like a sort of a jet engine. Once the bullet leaves the barrel the high pressure gas comes right after and Newton's Law being what it is (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) the gas pushes the rifle back.
                Recoil is a combination of the reaction to mass of the bullet (that doesn't want to move but is being forced to) and the gas jet leaving the barrel. The larger the caliber, the heavier the bullet, and the more powder turning into high pressure gas the more recoil. Redirecting the high pressure gas back and sideways and up reduces the effects of the gas "jet".
                With me so far? Good!
                Now then, what the brake does is redirect the gas as its leaving the barrel just behind the bullet. The more gas you direct back to rear the more it counter acts the gas pushing out from the barrel. Ideally you would direct all the gas backwards, but that's not possible and not good for the shooter or bystanders.
                The longer the brake the more gas it can redirect the more effective it is. For example you can have a foot long brake that has ports staged to direct the gas in stages (by now the bullet is in free flight through the brake) but you have to contend with practical reality that no one wants a 2 or 3 pound hunk of steel on the end of the barrel, so brake designers make do with the initial impulse of gas that lasts milliseconds, and that's no small feat in itself.
                Got it? Good!
                I have a rifle I would like a brake on, but I have other priorities...
                SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Excellent ,thanks....I will look deeper, but why do AKs have a brake but a $1800 M1 not have one or sniper rifles?

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
                    Excellent ,thanks....I will look deeper, but why do AKs have a brake but a $1800 M1 not have one or sniper rifles?
                    AK were originally automatic and as such have a tendency for the muzzle to climb when fired. The design of the AK has a lot of mass over the bore (bolt carrier and piston). When that mass comes to rest at the rear trunion the energy has to go somewhere (remember Newton?) in the case of the AK it causes the whole thing to tilt up. A muzzle brake counteracts that tendency. ARs bolt rides on the centerline and doesn't have as large a tendency to rise.
                    SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Ok a little clearer. I would still like a AK.

Comment

Well, it seems my info is from the same source, but I'll post here for what it's worth. And I have one more but the site won't let me post it cause it's too big and I'm too lazy to resize.

Comment

So this thread had me motivated to get off my fat arse and look seriously into trying a brake on one of mine, just to see if it does anything for me, other than clearing the benches to the right and left.
                          I sent an email inquiry to JP Rifles asking about their Eliminator threaded for one of my Sakos, threaded in M18x1.
                          Here is what I got back.
                          " We don't cut any metric threads as we don't have metric gauges to verify quality.:

Comment

Originally posted by pandm View Post
                            So this thread had me motivated to get off my fat arse and look seriously into trying a brake on one of mine, just to see if it does anything for me, other than clearing the benches to the right and left.
                            I sent an email inquiry to JP Rifles asking about their Eliminator threaded for one of my Sakos, threaded in M18x1.
                            Here is what I got back.
                            " We don't cut any metric threads as we don't have metric gauges to verify quality.:

Ask them if they will ship an unthreaded brake and find a machine shop that will cut it for you. You don't have to be a gunsmith to cut threads.
                            SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Russian View Post
                              Ask them if they will ship an unthreaded brake and find a machine shop that will cut it for you. You don't have to be a gunsmith to cut threads.
                              This is not AK. I'm looking for a bit more finesse and precision than a hammer and a cinderblock as smithing tools!

Comment

Working...
                              X