Shooting Steel Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Steel Targets

I bought several steel plates so I could make a portable shooting range. Each plate is 8” in diameter, made of 3/8 inch thick AR500 Steel, with a center hole (pictured below).

Since portability is important, and I didn’t want to be limited to shooting prone, I did not buy the traditional target stand with a hanging chain. Instead, I bought heavy-duty shepherd hooks which are 48” tall.

However, the shepherd hooks could not handle the weight of the steel plates, especially while be blasted by a 308.

A company called “The 2nd Target Company” sells a “ground stake” hook steel target hanger (pictured below). However, it is only 31” tall.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Portability and ease of set-up is important because I need to break down the range after each use.

Attached Files

Some people make frames out of threaded galvanized pipe. You can unscrew them for transport. It can get pricey, but depending on the type of frame, they are very sturdy. Heavy, but sturdy.

Comment

I use these targets in New York State owned forests (NOT STATE PARKS). It is a "secret", not known by most people down-state, that it is legal to shoot in state owned forests, as long as you follow the law (and USE COMMON SENSE).

The DEC is understandably very protective of State land, and does not take kindly to downstate yahoos. Therefore, you should not use trees, or other foliage, as your target or target holder.

In addition, you should clean up your casings when done, and you should never bring your old t.v., computer, washing machine, etc. to shoot.

If you show respect to the land, the DEC will show respect to you. That is why I try to make my targets as unobtrusive as possible.

Comment

I have been shooting on state land for years, its never a problem. I like the steel idea, we use frames from all the election lawn signs. They are light and easy to carry.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
        - Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
        - James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbytaz View Post
          I have been shooting on state land for years, its never a problem. I like the steel idea, we use frames from all the election lawn signs. They are light and easy to carry.
          I also use Duraseal targets. They are relatively inexpensive, and are very easy to transport and set-up. The actual targets hold up well to large calibers. However, they are very low to the ground. and the frame will be destroyed if you hit it.
          Attached Files

Comment

How about using 2" perforated angle iron? A few bolts and your setup or taken down.
            SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

I use 2 - 3/4 x4' metal eletrical conduit and a 1/2 or 3/8 steel rod with a right angle bend on the ends . With a hammer bang the two pipes into the ground and then set the 1/2 rod across the top with either chain or steel wire to hold the metal target (never use a fixed target) simple and portable .
              There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Russian View Post
                How about using 2" perforated angle iron? A few bolts and your setup or taken down.
                Sorry but I do not habla Russian . Also, my mechanical skills stink. Where would I buy it and how would I configure it?

Comment

Originally posted by Southshorerob View Post
                  I use 2 - 3/4 x4' metal eletrical conduit and a 1/2 or 3/8 steel rod with a right angle bend on the ends . With a hammer bang the two pipes into the ground and then set the 1/2 rod across the top with either chain or steel wire to hold the metal target (never use a fixed target) simple and portable .
                  Photo or diagram for those lacking knowledge and imagination?

Comment

• Southshorerob
                    Southshorerob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Last edited by Southshorerob; 05-11-2016, 08:49 PM.

• Southshorerob
                    Southshorerob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll post pictures later , pictures are on a device that's charging

I believe he's referring to this

769635.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=OUTRAGED;n15535]I believe he's referring to this

Thank you. Any suggestions regarding inserting it in the ground? I use a mallet and still have a hard time getting the shepherd hooks and duraseal frames into the hard clay soil.

Comment

make a frame out of the perforated steel , think two triangles with threaded rod between them to hang the steel on. i make something similar out of steel , with a rod between so it can come apart and lay flat

Comment

No need to disclose any secret spots but how do you go about finding a suitable spot? Contact DEC as to accessible land?

Comment

I saw this in a SPORTSMANS GUIDE catalog. The top is about 22.00, the spike is about 30.00. Put a common two by four in between and you have an adjustable height steel target holder. You are going to shoot up the two by four, but they are available everywhere. This looks like something a non mechanical person can do easily. I have not tried this yet, but they will be introduced to my double secret upstate private range soon.CTS TOPPER.jpgCTS SPIKE.jpg
                          US COAST GUARD VIETNAM VETERAN
                          MEMBER VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA
                          MEMBER VIETNAM WAR VETERANS ASSOCIATION
                          MEMBER VFW
                          MEMBER FREEPORT R&R, NRA, NYSRPA

Comment

Originally posted by COAST GUARD MIKE View Post
                            I saw this in a SPORTSMANS GUIDE catalog. The top is about 22.00, the spike is about 30.00. Put a common two by four in between and you have an adjustable height steel target holder. You are going to shoot up the two by four, but they are available everywhere. This looks like something a non mechanical person can do easily. I have not tried this yet, but they will be introduced to my double secret upstate private range soon.[ATTACH=CONFIG]n15694[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n15695[/ATTACH]

That is pretty genius.
                            Ben

Comment

Working...
                            X