Homeowner Insurance and Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeowner Insurance and Guns

I am shopping for Homeowners, Umbrella Policy, (1 million), Auto, (2 vehicles) for my home/autos and Renters Insurance for an additional property I own. Through the years, I have collected numerous rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers. The normal coverage for my present insurance (Allstate) is $2000. The value of my collection far exceeds that amount. Does a request for additional coverage for firearms trigger a adverse response from insurance companies not proportional with the additional coverage. In other words, will they discriminate against me because I own firearms? Also, The value of the scopes on several of my rifles are substantial, in many cases exceeding the value of the rifle. Would the scopes be considered an integral part of the rifle or pistol for valuation, or will be considered a separate item? How has anyone else handled this.

You may want to consider a separate policy. The NRA has a decent policy.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

I wouldn't tell insurance companies squat about my firearms. These days they would probably consider them/you a liability and increase your premiums. The only exception would be if you had museum quality pieces or irreplaceable items IMHO. Even then, you should have a quality safe to protect your investments.

Comment

Separate policy, as the Big Carrot said, NRA has a decent one
        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Umbrella policy covering home belongings (read you policy for if any exceptions) but it is usually your responsibility to have a prove of ownership and value. If your collection is substantial, I would recommend to get it appraised, or make a pictures of items, scan receipts and have it all in electronic format stored somewhere else. NRA policy is a good idea too.

Comment

A lot of people have been saying the nra policy is expensive, and has a lot of loopholes (you can google it) and that adding it to your home owners and renters insurance is much cheaper .

Comment

I had gotten a separate policy from Gary Hungerford at one point. It was very reasonable and allowed for all accessories to be listed. It also allowed you to specify if the firearm was for sporting or collector use. Sadly the company stopped insuring firearms.
              Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

I added a second policy recently. At $25 a month I'm covered for 20 grand. Seemed like a good idea, especially since we had that scare with the wildfire last month.

Comment

Working...
                X