Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.A.K. at the Islip R&P Range

(Random Act of Kindness)
    Went to the Islip Range, arrive just after 12:35. Walk into the trailer to pay up. Me and the woman running the desk are chit chatting and getting me squared away when I pull out my debit card and I get the "ooooh" face I know that accompanies "we don't take those".

I get direct deposit from my job, the gas station by me charges the same price for cash and debit. I have almost no need to carry cash on me, ever, anymore. This being one of those times I have $2 on me and preparing to leave as I'm SOL as theyre closing at 2, so by the time I ATM and come back I'll be lucky to get 1 session in. Day over, gonna have to make the Brookhaven trek on a Holiday weekend if I want to shoot - yuck.

Lady must sense how dumb I feel, and says "what do you got on you?" I reply, showing her the inside of my bill fold. Racks up $2 on the register and says "Happy Memorial Day". I dont recall her name, but whoever you are, you made the day for me. And for that I thank you.

My business has to pay a higher % (to the bank) when we take debt cards. More than on credit cards.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

My cousin does that - no cash, just a debit card. If he goes to 7-11 to get a cup of coffee - debit card. But of course, there's times when you actually need cash and he always checks his pockets like there's miraculously going to be cash there. Drives me nuts. I have to have a decent amount of cash on me at all times, even though I also use my debit card most of the time.

Nice to read about good things happening.
      "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Great story but cash is king.

Comment

I almost never carry cash either, it's a great way to stop impulse buying. For instance the ice cream man does not take debit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
            I almost never carry cash either, it's a great way to stop impulse buying. For instance the ice cream man does not take debit cards.
            I also only keep a small amount (20-50) in my checking. So any expensive purchases require me to transfer money from my savings. One extra step that allows me to think about what I'm buying while I watch howmuch money will be leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
              The ice cream man is one of the most important reasons I carry cash!
              "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Working...
              X