Humidity around Gun Safe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pat M View Post

That August day a couple of years ago when we got 13 inches of rain in two hours, I had 10 inches of water in my basement. Ammo on the bottom shelf was submerged. I spread it all out on the driveway in the sun, boxed it back up when dry, and never had a misfire.
    I remember that day well. I was on the news.
    Still here but still counting down. The inventor of Hawk fishing.

Comment

60 % isn't going to do anything. Take out the rifle and give it the attention it deserves

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
        60 % isn't going to do anything. Take out the rifle and give it the attention it deserves
        1/2 of them never see daylight... Sad but true.

Comment

I have two of these Eva-Dry units in my long gun safe along with a hyrgrometer. Pretty much always reads between 51% and 55%.

Comment

I keep mine between 35 and 40. Safe tends to hover around 38 internally.
            NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
            NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
            Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Originally posted by MossbergMan View Post

I read somewhere that above 40% is bad for ammo storage
              Modern center fire ammo can sit in a damp, moldy basement for a hundred years and it will be fine. Just look how much of it from the last century is fine and most of it sat in damp, moldy basements.

As for guns, -- stemming the tide of humidity with desicants and dehumidifiers is a constant battle, especially with the summers here. I do it but I don't trust the humidity levels in the safe. I just make sure to keep all my guns wet. Not dripping wet but a generous amount of Balistol on them all the time. I think that's easier and more effective than anything. A quick wipe and a dry patch before I use them.
              I don't need a gun.
              I have never needed a gun.
              I hope I never need a gun and in all likelihood, I will never need a gun.
              However, if I ever need a gun, I had better have a gun.
              Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
              Chris

Comment

You could just leave them with me, my safe is climate controlled and I can exercise them once a weak to keep them in top shape...
                Vaminos is all you need to say, we're gonna move eventually
                Pull the suckers off of one row, then turn around and do it again -
                WNM

Comment

Now that its gotten colder, the humidity level in my safe is 37%. Is this going to cause a problem with wood stocks? I have a golden rod in there plus the Eva-Dry units. If the answer is yes to the previous question, would you remove one thing or the other?

Comment

Dri-Rod for the win.
                    Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

Got a 2 pack of those at Costco for $19
                      Did you get them recently? The Costco website doesn’t show them.

Comment

Was in Melville Costco today, aaaaaand they're gone! Seasonal or limited run item for them I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 1062_ZEBRA View Post

Did you get them recently? The Costco website doesn’t show them.
                          About 3 months ago

Comment

Working...
                          X