17 HMR - what do you think of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 HMR - what do you think of it?

My CZ 455 has the ability to swap barrels to .17 HMR and .22 mag. What do you guys think?

I have a Savage 93 .17HMR, Like it a lot.
    Very accurate round out to around 150 + yds. or so. Has a high velocity making for nice flat trajectory.
    Ammo is easy to find again and not very expensive.

savage 6.jpg
    Artist formerly known as TERRY P

Comment

Love love love this round. Low recoil, longer range then a .22, crazy accurate with just about any manufacturer ammo. No need for match ammo

fmj rounds has crazy penetration. Can penetrate Kevlar at 100 yards

only problem is that 223 ammo is so cheap now, depending on what you are looking to do, you might be better off with a 223 caliber gun
      The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

How's the noise level compared to a .22 ?

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
          How's the noise level compared to a .22 ?
          Slightly more of a crack to it, especially subsonic .22lr...not much though. Prob comparable to a .22WMR

Comment

Buy one. Also I've been seeing Hornady VMax ammo for it as low as $8.99 a box. 50 per

Comment

.17HMR is an absolute win over the .22. the only challenge is seeing the tiny surgically placed holes in the target. All of the imitators have come and gone, but this caliber will be around for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                .17HMR is an absolute win over the .22. the only challenge is seeing the tiny surgically placed holes in the target. All of the imitators have come and gone, but this caliber will be around for ever.
                I can't be the only one smiling about this rave review for a .17 from a guy named bigbore44.

Comment

The whole barrel swap thing was appealing to be able to gain 17HMR for like $140 without buying a whole new rifle and it's pretty easy to do. Neat concept, but not so sure it's so great in practice. At a minimum, I would have to re-zero every time I swap the barrels which means a trip to Brookhaven every time. And after doing some research, some people have had issues with accuracy after swaps, presumably operator error re-installing the barrels. So, I'm not convinced I want to go this route, but now I'm considering just buying a 17HMR rifle instead. More food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
                    I have a Savage 93 .17HMR, Like it a lot.
                    Very accurate round out to around 150 + yds. or so. Has a high velocity making for nice flat trajectory.
                    Ammo is easy to find again and not very expensive.

savage 6.jpg
                    Nice stock. Boyd?
                    Vaminos is all you need to say, we're gonna move eventually
                    Pull the suckers off of one row, then turn around and do it again -
                    WNM

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
                      The whole barrel swap thing was appealing to be able to gain 17HMR for like $140 without buying a whole new rifle and it's pretty easy to do. Neat concept, but not so sure it's so great in practice. At a minimum, I would have to re-zero every time I swap the barrels which means a trip to Brookhaven every time. And after doing some research, some people have had issues with accuracy after swaps, presumably operator error re-installing the barrels. So, I'm not convinced I want to go this route, but now I'm considering just buying a 17HMR rifle instead. More food for thought.
                      I guess that would depend on whatever locking/registering system CZ uses, and the operator(you). As for the scope and it's zero, you could just log the two sets of turret settings, and "theoretically" be good to go. One would think that a company such as CZ, would take all this into account when deciding to make this system available, just like other hi end manufacturers have in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by TenInchFryingPan View Post

I can't be the only one smiling about this rave review for a .17 from a guy named bigbore44.
                        LOL, I don't care who you are, but after seeing how this caliber performs, you have to respect what Hornady has pulled off. The performance versus cost factor really is amazing. The only thing I have to remember when shooting at targets is...to shoot the .17 BEFORE the .44MAG, so I can use the same target

PS -FWIW- Another screen name that I have used elsewhere in the past was smallbore22.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

I guess that would depend on whatever locking/registering system CZ uses, and the operator(you). As for the scope and it's zero, you could just log the two sets of turret settings, and "theoretically" be good to go. One would think that a company such as CZ, would take all this into account when deciding to make this system available, just like other hi end manufacturers have in the past.
                          Yeah, I was thinking that too. I'm pretty confident in my skills to do the swap and to keep track of the turret settings. But assuming I swap the barrel back to the .22LR and set the turrets back to their zero for .22, I'm just wondering if my POI will still be the same without having to re-zero after having moved the barrel around. Tempted to try it, guess the worst thing is I have to re-zero.

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post

Nice stock. Boyd?
                            Thanks,
                            No. It's from a company called Richards Microfit Stocks, out of CA.
                            http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

They custom cut their laminated stocks to order. Takes about 3 months to get after ordered, and you receive it inletted about 99% complete for your receiver and barrel, but only about 70% complete on the outside.
                            It showed up 'a lot' rougher than I expected... and I almost sent it back, but went ahead and finished it. And in the end I was really glad I did.
                            I had to finish cutting and rounding all of the contours of the whole thing, plus several hours of sanding, applied a cherry stain to mellow the color's, and applied about 7 coats of gloss poly.

SAVAGE 5.jpg
                            savage 17hmr 010.JPG

Comment

Decided to buy the barrel kit for my 455; it's a worth a shot to try it in a lower cost way. Worst case is I have to re-zero the .22 barrel. stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                              X