17 HMR - what do you think of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

Where do you see that? I bought 17HMR for $0.18 / round. I get .223 for $0.30 / round.
    Walmart

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post
      Sounds like a good idea having interchangeable barrels. Enjoy the new addition.
      Been kicking th idea of a .17 HMR around for a couple years now. It's a wicked little round, saw some YouTube of what seems to be 50lb hogs being taken with them. Drops em cold. This thread got me thinking about the round again.
      Just so happens I have a Nikon 3-9 scope I took off my A-Bolt when I bought a new Leupold for it and was thinking of a new home for the evicted Nikon. I think a Savage A17 will be a nice very place for the Nikon to take up residence in the next couple weeks.
      Let us know how the new barrel and caliber works out for you.
      I was looking at that A17 myself; that looks like a sweet rifle. Barrel is coming tomorrow. Hoping to get out to Brookhaven on Friday to let it rip. If (or I should probably say when) I decide to get a dedicated setup, I think I'm leaning towards the CZ 455 Varmint with the heavy barrel and the squarer stock. Back of my mind is a trip out west next spring to whack some prarie dogs; the 17 would be awesome for shots up to 100-150 yards and I'm gonna pair that with my CZ 527 Varmint in .223 and possibly a 22-250 (most likely a Tikka) for the longer shots.

Comment

So, I did the barrel swap last night, took all of 6 minutes. Very simple and straightforward. Unfortunately, didn't make it out to Brookhaven yesterday but got to Mitchell Field this morning. I can see why people love this round. Zero recoil and once I got my scope re-zeroed, I was shooting consistent 1-hole groups at 25 yards. I could also see how this round is devastating on little critters.

I tried a small variety of loads. I zeroed the scope with CCI Game Point 20 grain rounds. I also tried Hornady V-Max 17 grain rounds and those printed slightly lower and right of the CCI's. Hornady XTP 20 grain gave the same results as the CCI. I also have but didn't get to try (ran out of time) Winchester 20 grain JHP and Federal V-Max 17 grain but my suspicion is that those are made by Hornady and just packaged for the other brands.

Overall, I really liked the 17HMR but I really want to see what it's capable of at 100 yards and want to see what ammo the gun likes the most. At 25 yards, there was no difference, 1 hole is 1 hole. I recorded my scope settings before and after the barrel swap, so my next step is to see if I can swap the barrels back, reset the scope back to the .22 settings and see if it holds the original zero. If so, this is a real win.

Comment

I enjoy my Savage 17 accurate out 100 yards is about the limit on a very calm day for great accuracy 50 yards excellent. Past 100 yards not as accurate at least that's me.. Need a good spotting scope round so small. all in all fun rifle to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ransom View Post
            I enjoy my Savage 17 accurate out 100 yards is about the limit on a very calm day for great accuracy 50 yards excellent. Past 100 yards not as accurate at least that's me.. Need a good spotting scope round so small. all in all fun rifle to shoot.
            That's kind of what I thought. I figure 100 yards is a good range for this round, maybe stretch it out to 150.

Comment

I swapped the barrels again putting the .22LR barrel back on the 455. Reset the scope back to my original settings and used the same ammo I zeroed with. Rifle was dead on!!! That is VERY cool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
                I swapped the barrels again putting the .22LR barrel back on the 455. Reset the scope back to my original settings and used the same ammo I zeroed with. Rifle was dead on!!! That is VERY cool!!!
                Glad to hear that. I wouldn't expect a company to offer that option if it didn't. If they can't maintain accuracy in the swap, that would be like CZ shooting themselves in the foot imo

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

Glad to hear that. I wouldn't expect a company to offer that option if it didn't. If they can't maintain accuracy in the swap, that would be like CZ shooting themselves in the foot imo
                  Complete agree but read mixed reviews about it. Was really happy that it worked in practice. Going to put the 17 HMR barrel back and play some more with that.

Comment

Working...
                  X