Travel with AR15?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel with AR15?

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you had a NY-compliant AR15 (fixed mag with a Jerry's kit); would you be willing to travel with it? You know the police are going to look at it when you open the case at the airport to check it and you believe it's perfectly legally because of the fixed mag, but this is NY. Opinions?

The PAPD's main concern will be that the gun is not loaded. It's not like traveling with a handgun, where you may not be legal here. Good chance they may not be up on the SAFE Act, or what makes a rifle compliant or not.

They may not be familiar with the fixed mag kits, or feel comfortable with the mag being in there. It may take some extra explanation on your part. IMO, you'd probably be better off traveling with the upper and lower separated. Also makes it less obvious that your bag contains a gun.

Don't always assume the worst. Hundreds of people pass through NY airports with firearms every single day without issue. You only hear about the fuckups.
    Steve

Comment

Do you really want to risk being made fun of when you get to your destination and people see it. Probably get a taint kick followed by a throat punch.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post
        Do you really want to risk being made fun of when you get to your destination and people see it. Probably get a taint kick followed by a throat punch.
        LOL.... Well, it's not me, so I don't really care but my friend's son, that's all he has and he ain't gonna be able knock down prairie dogs throwin' rocks, so I guess he'll just have to be embarrassed.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
          The PAPD's main concern will be that the gun is not loaded. It's not like traveling with a handgun, where you may not be legal here. Good chance they may not be up on the SAFE Act, or what makes a rifle compliant or not.

They may not be familiar with the fixed mag kits, or feel comfortable with the mag being in there. It may take some extra explanation on your part. IMO, you'd probably be better off traveling with the upper and lower separated. Also makes it less obvious that your bag contains a gun.

Don't always assume the worst. Hundreds of people pass through NY airports with firearms every single day without issue. You only hear about the fuckups.
          We will be traveling in a group with a bunch of rifle cases, so all guns will be in those. I just would hate to get tripped up. The other option is to ship the lower out ahead of time when we ship our ammo out, but was hoping to avoid that.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post
            WTF kinda people you go visit?

This is one of the reasons I plan to build a cheap gas-less upper - so I can keep a full-featured lower mated to it. If I ever travel to a free state, bring 2 rifles and just mix 'n' match when I get there. I don't wanna get taint kicked or throat punched.
            No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

WTF kinda people you go visit?

This is one of the reasons I plan to build a cheap gas-less upper - so I can keep a full-featured lower mated to it. If I ever travel to a free state, bring 2 rifles and just mix 'n' match when I get there. I don't wanna get taint kicked or throat punched.
              I hang with like minded douchebags.

Comment

You can mail the lower or just bring the lower. This seriously might be an easier option. When you get to a free state swap in a free state upper and take out the fixed mag kit (if you didn't epoxy or loctite the screw in).

Comment

Yeah this is why I have a fixed mag kit that can be removed so I don't have to worry about ny level shit out of state.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post
                    You can mail the lower or just bring the lower. This seriously might be an easier option. When you get to a free state swap in a free state upper and take out the fixed mag kit (if you didn't epoxy or loctite the screw in).
                    I understand it's not a transfer but can you just mail a lower (or any other complete gun) to yourself in another state, if you're not a resident of that state? To a local resident, care of you? No FFL?
                    No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

I understand it's not a transfer but can you just mail a lower (or any other complete gun) to yourself in another state, if you're not a resident of that state? To a local resident, care of you? No FFL?
                      Yeah, the lower or long gun would have to go to an FFL in that state (unless it's resident to resident of the same state for long guns), but you can mail the upper to anyone.

https://www.usacarry.com/how-send-gun-through-mail/

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
                      Yeah this is why I have a fixed mag kit that can be removed so I don't have to worry about ny level shit out of state.
                      That's what's beautiful about a modular platform. Even during the pre-ban days many of us who did matches had free state uppers we'd swap in.

Even a saiga sporter can be swapped to have a pistol grip and collapsible stock if going into PA for instance.
                      Saiga_x8.jpg

saiga545a.jpg
                      Last edited by Destro; 02-13-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the lower or long gun would have to go to an FFL in that state (unless it's resident to resident of the same state for long guns), but you can mail the upper to anyone.

https://www.usacarry.com/how-send-gun-through-mail/

That's what's beautiful about a modular platform. Even during the pre-ban days many of us who did matches had free state uppers we'd swap in.

Even a saiga sporter can be swapped to have a pistol grip and collapsible stock if going into PA for instance.
                        Saiga_x8.jpg

saiga545a.jpg
                        That's also why I don't understand where the whole epoxy BS came from.

Comment

And there's the problem right there.... Unless the place we're staying happens to be an FFL, that's gonna be a non-starter. We're going to be in the middle of nowhere, South Dakota.

Comment

Just don’t drive like an ass and get pulled over. Plus, it should be unloaded and locked in the trunk. Not sure what the worry would be.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
                              Just don’t drive like an ass and get pulled over. Plus, it should be unloaded and locked in the trunk. Not sure what the worry would be.
                              We're not driving, we're flying. The concern is that even though we "believe" it is a NY-legal AR, it is made so by the use of Jerry's Fixed Mag Kit and while I do not think it will be a problem, I'd hate to get a PA cop at the airport who woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day and decides he is going to question whether we're in compliance or not. Just could really put a buzz kill on the trip if we miss our flight.

Comment

Working...
                              X