Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody

I have been to the NRA museum in Fairfax multiple times but I think this place has it beat. Along with a wing of firearms, it has a wing of the man himself, a wing of natural history, a wing of the Native Americans, another wing of art, etc. etc. Just got back from a Trafalgar National Parks tour and while I doubted it would be, this was a highlight.
    Last edited by pequa1; 05-16-2018, 09:04 AM.

I was there three years ago. You need at least two days to see everything. Cody is a great town. I treated myself to a custom knife made by a retired marine. He made it from a file.

Comment

I gotta get there.

Comment

Was there quite a number of years ago and was awestruck at the collections they have.
        Well worth a full day.
        Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Comment

Would love to get out there one day. The fact that Sitting Bill was in his show for a short while just amazes me. I can imagine in my mind him riding a war pony around the ring.
          Wild Bill was part of the show for a while also. Both of them interest me more then Buffalo Bill but he's interesting also.
          "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Wild Bill was mostly a killer. Buffalo Bill OTOH did just about everything out there.

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post
              Would love to get out there one day. The fact that Sitting Bill was in his show for a short while just amazes me. I can imagine in my mind him riding a war pony around the ring.
              Wild Bill was part of the show for a while also. Both of them interest me more then Buffalo Bill but he's interesting also.
              My grandfather's brother, George Patrick Ahern, was Sitting Bull's interpreter while he was in custody at Fort Randall in 1883. My mother said they had a basement full of Soiux artifacts that they used to play cowboys and indians when they were kids. The stuff probably should have been in the Museum of Natural History.

Comment

Originally posted by pequa1 View Post
                Wild Bill was mostly a killer. Buffalo Bill OTOH did just about everything out there.
                Wild Bill killed men but I believe most were done while wearing a badge and likely justified and a couple outside the law which were fair fights, as much as the stories say anyway.
                Both Bills knew each other early on and their lives kind of ran parallel in a lot of ways. Union soldiers, scouts, Indian fighters....
                Id call both men quite accomplished with Buff being the better businessman and Wild a lawman.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat M View Post

My grandfather's brother, George Patrick Ahern, was Sitting Bull's interpreter while he was in custody at Fort Randall in 1883. My mother said they had a basement full of Soiux artifacts that they used to play cowboys and indians when they were kids. The stuff probably should have been in the Museum of Natural History.
                  That's a great story there. Would have loved to have some pints with him and just listen to the stories. Do you know where he picked up the Lakota language? Oh to have those 'toys' today.

Comment

Another great museum which is much closer, is the West Point Museum. I highly recommend doing a West Point bus tour and then doing a self-guided tour at the museum.

https://www.usma.edu/museum/sitepages/home.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky Gold View Post
                      Another great museum which is much closer, is the West Point Museum. I highly recommend doing a West Point bus tour and then doing a self-guided tour at the museum.

https://www.usma.edu/museum/sitepages/home.aspx

Been to the museum there 3 times. Twice when my nephew was a cadet and once before. We drive up ourselves it's a nice ride. Always a good day at the Pt. Autumn is my favorite time of year to drive up there when the leaves are at full color. Overlooking the Hudson where it narrows from the Fort grounds brings one back to the Revolution.

Comment

Working...
                      X