Silicone Spray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silicone Spray?

I was having a conversation with an "old timer" the other day. He probably owns more firearms than I'll ever touch in my lifetime.

During a discussion, he was telling me about using a silicone spray instead of grease or oils. He said it had to be a professional grade, no crap like WD-40.

Have any of you used a silicone spray in place of grease or oils? I have noticed, in colder weather, it takes a bit for things to get "warmed up" and function correctly.

Thanks
    Trying not to be a thread killer....

In the lock business we use WD-40 for cleaning shit out and not lube. I sell all products from Super Lube, Triflow, LPS1, WD-40 and a few others.

I prefer Super Lube over the others. I especially like the Dri-Film. It sprays on wet and dries to a fine white powder. It doesn't attract dirt which is what we need in the prison locks we sell. They don't exactly live in the cleanest environment.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

l know they sell silicone rags . Ive used them for years they keep the gun dust and dirt free.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with WD-40 and its not junk it just needs to be used for what it was formulated for. What "professional grade" products is he talking about or he didn't tell you that part of his mentoring knowledge? Certainly neither of the very thin products would make a good substitute for grease.
        Being old is not often an indicator of being wise, neither does owning many guns. If I were you I would take anything said by this guy with a grain of salt.
        "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

WD40 is not much of a lube or protectant... being mostly kerosene it just strips off oil & grease, leaving metal exposed.

Any spray you decide to use should be a good quality product - silicone sprays or oil sprays can be good or crap.

Comment

DRi-lube is one of the best products on the market, its a little hard to find but worth the effort.
            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

A good supply is Amazon.com, Wal-mart carries it at times as well.
              stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

WD-40 was designed to be a Water Displacement. It does that well. Expecting it to do anything else comes with a risk. The only dry lube I've ever used is graphite powder to avoid freezing parts in very low temps. It's also good for very dusty locations.
                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

There is a reason that gun socks are impregnated with silicone.
                  Ben

Comment

I know someone who used to wipe down his rifles with WD 40.
                    When it penetrated right into one his scopes he was a very unhappy bunny.
                    WD has it's uses.
                    Protecting metal is not one of them.

I've been just using gun oil forever for a wipedown.
                    Wouldn't mind trying one of these new fangled products you guys are talking about.

Comment

Been using super lube on my fishing gear for many years, never an issue with corrosion.

Comment

He did specifically say, not wd-40. I'll see him again on Friday and I'll ask him what brand he uses. He made a compelling arguement when talking about how greases and oils cling to dust and dirt, causing things to get gummed or caked up.
                        Trying not to be a thread killer....

Comment

Uff said ....... Lol. my personal choice

or a fine blend of whatever I have on hand .
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
                            There is a reason that gun socks are impregnated with silicone.
                            Yup, the reason being its a dry lubricant and doesn't get all over the place like would oils and greases.
                            "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Working...
                            X