Shipped A Rifle At UPS Yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipped A Rifle At UPS Yesterday

Sometimes when I have shipped longarms through UPS they have charged me a Special Handling fee of $12.00 per shipment; they have been doing that almost every time I have shipped one over the last year or two. Yesterday I shipped a rifle out and they did not charge the fee; at first I figured it was because it was in a somewhat smaller box than usual but then I remembered they also did not charge the fee one other time recently. I was curious as to why they would charge it sometimes and not others. So, I looked at some of the old UPS receipts and saw that when I describe the item as a rifle or shotgun, they charge the fee, when I just put down the make & model they have not charged it. Not 100% sure that is the reason for the difference in how they charge but I guess I will never again add rifle or shotgun to the description and see what happens with the future shipments; shame on me for not catching this sooner if that is what it is.
    Last edited by Glenn B; 03-05-2019, 06:24 AM.

UPS has alot of theft of firearms

Comment

FedEx ground is a better (and cheaper) choice.
      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Both FedEx and UPS have a surcharge for packages over 48”. FedEx is cheaper to ship with but both now hit you for over 48”.

Comment

I have shipped thing and received things from both Fed-Ex and UPS. Based on my track record between Fed-Ex and UPS, I'll stick with UPS; I receive fewer damaged packages from them.

Comment

Henry sent me a UPS overnight shipping label for my warranty repair so I am not sure what the charge to them was. But if I have to ship again on my dime, I will try this. Thanks OP!

Comment

Originally posted by Captk View Post
              Both FedEx and UPS have a surcharge for packages over 48”. FedEx is cheaper to ship with but both now hit you for over 48”.
              That could be it too; most times the rifle and shotgun box length that I use is 52". I cut down yesterdays box because I shipped a Marlin 15YN which is much shorter being it is a youth model.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                Sometimes when I have shipped longarms through UPS they have charged me a Special Handling fee of $12.00 per shipment; they have been doing that almost every time I have shipped one over the last year or two. Yesterday I shipped a rifle out and they did not charge the fee; at first I figured it was because it was in a somewhat smaller box than usual but then I remembered they also did not charge the fee one other time recently. I was curious as to why they would charge it sometimes and not others. So, I looked at some of the old UPS receipts and saw that when I describe the item as a rifle or shotgun, they charge the fee, when I just put down the make & model they have not charged it. Not 100% sure that is the reason for the difference in how they charge but I guess I will never again add rifle or shotgun to the description and see what happens with the future shipments; shame on me for not catching this sooner if that is what it is.
                This may be why

How to Ship Firearms or Ammunition

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
                The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).
                UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
                UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Firearms

All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
                All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications. Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
                Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.
                The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
                The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.
                When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
                See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms") for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.

Comment

I wouldn't be in such a rush to skimp a few bucks. That special handling keep your box off the conveyor belts, which is where damage is most likely to happen. It is moved from area to area inside the hub on a little train of carts, usually by someone who has worked there a while. It's the same reason the fee is charged for anything over 48". Long, thin packages have a tough time negotiating the turns in the belts, and cause jams. But hey, your gun, your choice.

And yes, UPS has had a sizable number of guns stolen over the years. If I ever ship a gun, I pay for the extra insurance.
                  Steve

Comment

^^^^^This.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                      I wouldn't be in such a rush to skimp a few bucks. That special handling keep your box off the conveyor belts, which is where damage is most likely to happen. It is moved from area to area inside the hub on a little train of carts, usually by someone who has worked there a while. It's the same reason the fee is charged for anything over 48". Long, thin packages have a tough time negotiating the turns in the belts, and cause jams. But hey, your gun, your choice.

And yes, UPS has had a sizable number of guns stolen over the years. If I ever ship a gun, I pay for the extra insurance.
                      It's insured, I always insure any firearms I ship. I am guessing now though that fee was for being oversized and not because I listed most of the others I have shipped as rifles or shotguns and this one and one other just by make & model number. If size is thereason, then me listing it one way or the other does not matter at all; I just thought that was it but apparently was wrong. So much for thinking I could to save some cash.

Comment

When a vendor ships Fed Ex (don't know about UPS) and signature is required, I invariably go to Fed Ex after work and they have to track down the package at its facility. I don't mind paying for that rather than have the package eventually sent back to the vendor.

Comment

Everyone long gun I have ever shipped goes out in something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Black-Hard-Ri...fishing&sr=1-5.

If you order them from Amazon they come in a cardboard box that can be used as the other shipping container. All are less than 48 inches and do not trigger oversize charge.

Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Autoinfo07 View Post

This may be why

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Firearms

The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
                            I always ask for adult signature confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by Autoinfo07 View Post

... When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
                              ... That way, everybody knows which package to steal.
                              No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X