Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping firearms

Question for the group on out of state sales

Can a private owner in NYS ship a firearm out of state to an FFL?

Or, do we have to take it to a local FFL and have them ship it for us? ( we pay transfer and shipping)

Is there a difference if it’s handgun vice long guns?

appreciate your insight, experience and feedback

Hmm interesting question. Im curious as well.

Comment

Handguns by virtue of being on your license and needing a transfer from an FFL, needs to go through a NYS FFL.
      And a NYS FFL will only ship to another FFL not a private citizen. C&R FFL would qualify.

Long guns I don’t think have to be shipped through an FFL.
      However, most states that allow face to face transactions amongst private citizens also state that it must be to two instate residents.

So it’s probably best to ship through an FFL but if you didn’t who would know.

Comment

You can ship a long gun to an FFL out of state through the mail. Post office, FedEx or UPS all work.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

see 432.3 in the link above.
        Last edited by Smallcigar; 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Some FFL will not accept shipped from a private seller. Don’t know the law but check with the receiving FFL

Comment

Originally posted by E View Post
            Some FFL will not accept shipped from a private seller. Don’t know the law but check with the receiving FFL
            That is true. Many do not have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by marine4jd View Post
              Question for the group on out of state sales

Can a private owner in NYS ship a firearm out of state to an FFL?

Or, do we have to take it to a local FFL and have them ship it for us? ( we pay transfer and shipping)

Is there a difference if it’s handgun vice long guns?

It depends on several things. If it is an unrestricted long gun in NY (such as not an assault weapon) and unrestricted in the destination state (such as whatever are the restrictions in that state, county or locality) and if the jurisdiction to which it is being shipped (state, county or local) allows it to be shipped by an individual from out of state to an FFL in that jurisdiction, sure you can ship to an FFL but the FFL must be willing to accept a shipment from nonlicensees. They are not required to do so but most do; it is necessary to check first to avoid problems.

In the case of a handgun, you need to go through an FFL on the sender's end in NY - at least in Nassau County (as per their pistol license handbook). Of course you need to ship to an FFL as well and again must follow all of the rules for the jurisdiction to which you are sending it. I think it is also the same for a registered assault weapon but am not certain of that in Nassau County. I don't know about other counties. Shipping a handgun also requires a shipper like UPS or FedEx and it needs to go 2nd air or overnight (I forget which). No shipping a handgun through the post office except possibly for certain exceptions.

Retired and loving it.

Comment

the receiving ffl should provide a copy of his ffl to the private seller in advance of long gun shipment to him ,
                in the ship box to the buyers ffl , with the long gun , should be
                a photo copy of sellers ID with physical address and tel # ,
                bill of transfer to buyer listing make, model, cal, ser #
                and
                a copy of the buyers agent fed. firearm lic.
                High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Interesting to note:
                  In Suffolk, a dealer with a NY State Dealer's License cannot accept long guns from a private individual shipped in from out of state.

That is not true of all NY counties. According to the State Police, most counties do not have that restriction.
                  LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post
                    Handguns by virtue of being on your license and needing a transfer from an FFL, needs to go through a NYS FFL.
                    And a NYS FFL will only ship to another FFL not a private citizen. C&R FFL would qualify.

Long guns I don’t think have to be shipped through an FFL.
                    However, most states that allow face to face transactions amongst private citizens also state that it must be to two instate residents.

So it’s probably best to ship through an FFL but if you didn’t who would know.
                    Are you saying that a NYS resident with a C&R (Curios and Relics) federal firearms license can ship a handgun to an out-of-state FFL and/or an out-of-state private citizen?

Also, it is my understanding is that a NYS resident with a C&R license can receive a long gun on the ATF's C&R list from an out-of-state FFL, but cannot receive a handgun - regardless of whether it is designated a Curio / Relic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1062_ZEBRA View Post

Also, it is my understanding is that a NYS resident with a C&R license can receive a long gun on the ATF's C&R list from an out-of-state FFL, but cannot receive a handgun - regardless of whether it is designated a Curio / Relic.
                      The Safe Act has no exceptions for C&R holders to transfer firearms.

Comment

I've shipped several handguns and long guns out of state before. In my experience, handguns must go from FFL to another FFL using 2nd day air. All the long guns I've shipped I did not have to use FFL to ship but it must go to an FFL. I shipped using UPS ground (must be the big customer center location. NOT those small stores). It's best you contact the receiving FFL and ask what their protocol is.

Comment

Since most of the gentlemen above have already answered your question, I will just add two things in case you weren't talking about a sale:

If you want to have sights replaced (or other work) you can send just a slide with no special procedures.

I believe it is legal to send a gun to yourself at a vacation location. I'm not sure if this applies to handguns. Maybe someone else who has done this can chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by 1062_ZEBRA View Post

Are you saying that a NYS resident with a C&R (Curios and Relics) federal firearms license can ship a handgun to an out-of-state FFL and/or an out-of-state private citizen?

No not at all. Inbound pistols to a NY FFL would be accepted from an out of state C&R, it’s an FFL. Since a C&R doesn’t apply to handguns in NY, and it’s totally ridiculous since it’s a legit FFL and then you could do your own transfer to your license, then inbound pistols have to go through the class 1 FFL.
                            ‘You could make the argument a C&R class 03 FFL should be able to book an inbound pistol and then transfer it to the NY license. But I have not delved into that at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post

No not at all. Inbound pistols to a NY FFL would be accepted from an out of state C&R, it’s an FFL. Since a C&R doesn’t apply to handguns in NY, and it’s totally ridiculous since it’s a legit FFL and then you could do your own transfer to your license, then inbound pistols have to go through the class 1 FFL.
                              ‘You could make the argument a C&R class 03 FFL should be able to book an inbound pistol and then transfer it to the NY license. But I have not delved into that at this point
                              That argument has no basis for NY. Even a class 01 Dealer cannot handle a handgun in NY without NY Dealer in Firearms License. Certainly a C&R is not helpful since it is a collectors license suitable for personal use. It does not qualify a person to even apply for a NY Dealer License. Also, at least in Suffolk, you can't have a NY Dealers License without a commercial address.
                              If an 01 Dealer can't handle a C&R handgun with the additional license, an 03 C&R can't for sure.

C&R is not recognized in NY for ordinary handguns with the possible exception of those handguns that would be considered assault weapons under the Safe Act but are exempt because of age.. I can't think of one right now, but I'm sure there must be at least one.

NY recognizes antique handguns, as long as ammo is not available in normal commercial channels, but antique is not the same as C&R. Antique is a born on date in or before 1898.

For your first point, a NY Dealer cannot accept pistols from an C&R either, at least not in Suffolk. The Suffolk Rule Book says: "Rifles, shotguns or pistols purchased outside of New York State must be shipped from an authorized gun dealer in the originating state to an authorized dealer in New York State."
                              C&R is not a dealer license.

Comment

Working...
                              X