Making a target stand for Freeport R&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a target stand for Freeport R&R

Hey guys would like some advice to make a target stand for Freeport. I love banging steel but I would like to work on my pistol accuracy. I saw some guys had some metal fixtures other guys have PVC piping.

Any advice at all? Can't be too big since it has to fit in my car 2015 Subaru WRX sedan.

Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/Birchwood-C...0180481&sr=8-2
    NRA, NYSRPA, SAF member, Freeport R&R.

Comment

https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...036#post541036

Made mine a bit differently (full perimeter base) but it adds a bit to the materials and an extra piece of tubing. Which really isn't a big deal.
      Steve

Comment

I made mine out of 2" PVC pipe and I use two 6' 2x2's to hold my cardboard backer. Everything is glued except the two pieces of pipe that hold the 2x2's. See below...

IMG_5627.JPGIMG_5628.jpgIMG_5629.JPG

Comment

The pvc ones are cheap, but bulky. The steel ones are more expensive + shipping cost. https://custommetalprod.com/paper-target-holder-c14
          Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
          Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

I have the PVC all cut, lightly sanded, and cleaned with acetone so it will hold paint. I have time so I decided to try painting it. I plan to weight the front three base sections with sand or gravel and flush end caps.
            "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
            Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
            Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

82AF19E5-076A-4F5B-8810-1F621958FC8B.jpeg44C20479-FF52-4AB5-BC42-872AC8A6F982.jpeg This is what I made. For $40 bucks worth of pvc pipe and fittings a made 4 stands. I break them down and put them in a laundry bag to carry them.
              III%

Comment

Thanks for the responses that birchwood one is nice, but the PVC looks like it has the ability to break down easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Li02liberty View Post
                  82AF19E5-076A-4F5B-8810-1F621958FC8B.jpeg44C20479-FF52-4AB5-BC42-872AC8A6F982.jpeg This is what I made. For $40 bucks worth of pvc pipe and fittings a made 4 stands. I break them down and put them in a laundry bag to carry them.
                  Mine is same idea... I think yours is easier to carry though....

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

Mine is same idea... I think yours is easier to carry though....
                    They lay pretty flat in the bag.
                    III%

Comment

FYI..whatever material your stand is constructed from, it will blow over with a light gust unless you place some weight across the base
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
                        FYI..whatever material your stand is constructed from, it will blow over with a light gust unless you place some weight across the base
                        That's a fact. I sometimes bring cinder blocks with me on windy days. You can also drill holes in the bases of the pvc legs, to use long spikes. But now that Freeport has put down that astroturf, I don't think they'd want you to be putting holes in it.

Now, when I've been there myself, I've used a combination of metal stand, pvc stand, and the barrels as stands. Can't do it when others are there wanting to use the range. But pre-covid, there's been many a times when I've been there myself, or with my brother and can set up a little mini-stage.

Target stands.jpg

Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by bcwood64 View Post
                          Hey guys would like some advice to make a target stand for Freeport. I love banging steel but I would like to work on my pistol accuracy. I saw some guys had some metal fixtures other guys have PVC piping.
                          Any advice at all? Can't be too big since it has to fit in my car 2015 Subaru WRX sedan.
                          Thanks!
                          Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
                          But now that Freeport has put down that astroturf, I don't think they'd want you to be putting holes in it.
                          Target stands.jpg

Just an FYI:

If you're going to be putting targets closer uprange than by the berm, like in Bob's image above, make sure of your backstop. There's been members who don't understand angles and have torn up the turf or shot the pole holding up the berm roof. Those people were given a vacation from their memberships, with the possibility of paying for damage.
                          Recently there was a guy shooting a shotgun at a target on top of one of the blue barrels (don't do that) because he was too lazy to come up with a target. He then decided to shoot the barrel - and not only did he put 9 pellets through the barrel, but into the turf, damaging it. Don't be that guy.
                          "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Always make absolutely sure of the angles, and backstops. If targets aren't high enough when shooting close up, the angle will be down into the ground towards the back. And of course too high, and you're shooting over the dirt berm into the wood. Though the pic is somewhat deceiving, all targets have a clear backstop, and meant to be shot straight on, as you move to your right. And the 2 targets on the right, are not shot at from the back, but were meant to be run up to and shot almost point-blank.
                            Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Love all the different possibilities. Does that mean that the Freeport matches will have targets with varying distances like they used to be before the astroturf? Last time I shot there all the targets were by the back stop.

Comment

Working...
                              X