Carpal Tunnel and pistol shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpal Tunnel and pistol shooting

I know this has been discussed before but I’m interested in current/recent experiences with shooters who have had the surgery. I am meeting w the hand surgeon on Monday to discuss the plan but I’m concerned that since it is my dominant hand I’m having issues with that my gun slingin days may be numbered.
    Gasp...more time shooting/drilling w my weak hand is an option but not my first choice for a primary.

I know this is a routine procedure but things evolve so quickly I’m wondering if the recovery time and return to fitness have improved much.

Seek out a sports medicine Dr. first. Proper PT and other ergonomic adjustments need to be made. The surgeon will tell you to do it after he cuts you. Why not try it before? PM me if you want to discuss this.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

The surgery is not always a fix.my hand is completely numb from just typing this line . I will not have surgery,seen to many failures..good luck

Comment

Tom, I had it done over 2 years ago. It took over a year and a half until I could shoot my handguns. My wife had it done last August and she is still weak and hurts during Yoga. We different doctors. It’s a crap shoot to recover time. We both feel it was SO worth the pain.

Comment

I've had that surgery on both hands with no ill effects as far as shooting goes once full recovery was achieved. My suggestion is delay your surgery date until winter when general shooting/hunting season is over. 2 reasons for that, first you don't want to miss out on anything for this year as its mostly been a bust already and two this is a miserable time of year to be bandaged up.
          Once the stitches are out start handling your pistols for muscle memory but wait about a month before you actually start shooting. Once you do start shooting begin with the smaller calibers and work up over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
            I know this has been discussed before but I’m interested in current/recent experiences with shooters who have had the surgery. I am meeting w the hand surgeon on Monday to discuss the plan but I’m concerned that since it is my dominant hand I’m having issues with that my gun slingin days may be numbered.
            Gasp...more time shooting/drilling w my weak hand is an option but not my first choice for a primary.

I know this is a routine procedure but things evolve so quickly I’m wondering if the recovery time and return to fitness have improved much.
            Second hand knowledge. A friend had it done and he is competing in pistol matches across the country monthly.
            Make sure the surgeon is good.
            Consider HSS
            After the surgeon, PT makes all the difference.
            That, and wuit jerking off so much you damn pervert!
            "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Working...
            X