Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge approves $239 million settlement over defective Taurus pistol

Judge approves $239 million settlement over defective Taurus pistol

The Taurus pistol in question for the original lawsuit filed in 2013. (Photo: U.S. Federal Courts)

A federal judge approved a $239 million settlement in the class action suit brought against Taurus International over a design flaw in several pistol variants that could allow them to discharge when dropped, even with the safety engaged.

Owners of the alleged defective pistols will be able to submit claims at a settlement website that has been established as part of the agreement.

The settlement provides two options for Taurus pistol owners. The first includes the company repairing the pistol and providing an enhanced, lifetime warranty; or owners could exchange them for a cash payment of up to $200 per gun.

Taurus pistols subject to the defects include the Millennium, Millennium Pro, Millennium Pro Compact, Millennium Pro Sub-Compact, 24/7, and others.

The total value of the settlement, $239 million, includes $9 million in attorney’s fees and a $15,000 award to the lead plaintiff, Chris Carter. As a sheriff’s deputy from Iowa, Carter experienced an accidental discharge in December 2013.

According to court documents, he had his Taurus Model PT-140PRO holstered, but it fell out as he chased after a suspect on foot. The gun hit the ground and discharged even though the safety was engaged and it had an internal drop safety. He never touched the trigger.

The class action suit was filed in 2013 and settlement negotiations began last summer.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

I had a Taurus once. Once.
    Steve

Comment

I know some people like them, but I have absolutely zero interest.

Comment

I thought they were all defective. especially the ones from the 1980's.

But seriously, what kind of law enforcement would have a safety on a work gun? Seems kind of a dangerous feature.

Comment

Only one Taurus found to be defective?
          Pfffft.

Comment

I have several Taurus revolvers never had any issues with them, the only auto I sold at the other place, didn't like the feel of it and it was one of their PT140 Pro's
            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by Left NY View Post
              I thought they were all defective. especially the ones from the 1980's.

But seriously, what kind of law enforcement would have a safety on a work gun? Seems kind of a dangerous feature.
              What kind of Dept would authorize a Taurus for a duty pistol? They're one rung up the ladder from a Lorcin.
              "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

there has to be more to this story

Comment

Why was a police officer issued/authorized to carry a Taurus PT140?
                  “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post

What kind of Dept would authorize a Taurus for a duty pistol? They're one rung up the ladder from a Lorcin.
                    i thought maybe a backup gun. Even then, who would trust their life to a Taurus? You are right , Taurus is in the same league with those pot metal slide marvels of engineering such as Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, etc... More useful as a blunt instrument than as a firearm. Many cops are alive today because some fool who tried to shoot them was carrying a Taurus.

Comment

Hate to be A Monday morning quarterback but all this could have been avoided had they bought Glocks.

Comment

Working...
                      X