Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a rifle at an out of NY State Gun Show / Store???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you LI AMMO!
    Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
    Nick Charles: No.
    Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
    Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
    -The Thin Man - 1934

Comment

Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post
      OP, while you're in PA bring me back some plastic straws.

Oh wait, never mind, straw purchases are illegal. Fuck NY
      They have military vehicles at the show and are selling tank parts. How about bringing home a whole tank? I'll paint NYPD on it and drive it home across the GWB! Might come in handy?
      Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
      Nick Charles: No.
      Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
      Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
      -The Thin Man - 1934

Comment

In the early early 80's, I was homeported at NAS Miramar in San Diego. Only once I had a problem buying a firearm with my military ID.

In '82 I was buying a marlin 336C at a KMart. Guy wouldn't accept my ID and that I'd been homeported at Miramar for over 2 years. Had to get a manager to release it to me.

Typically, the ID was enough.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pilot_pete View Post

They have military vehicles at the show and are selling tank parts. How about bringing home a whole tank? I'll paint NYPD on it and drive it home across the GWB! Might come in handy?
          Awesome, but go through upstate so you can drive it over the douchebags dads bridge.

Comment

You would be good to go, fear and misinformation pervade this industry.
            Had a friend looking at an Equinox for his son at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. After looking at different handguns, they decided on that (the Son was soon turning 21 and ha his paperwork ready) Since it was a handgun, it had to be shipped to FFL in NY, my friend was putting it on his license, and would transfer to his son when he got HIS license. All of a sudden, a clerk (not involved in this) shouts out "Straw purchaser, you can't buy that!" My friend explains to him that the fire
            arm is being shipped to NY and going through the background check and licensing process once it gets there. The clerk is adamant. My friend (A good attorney who is familiar w/ firearms law) asks for someone higher up to gt this resolved. Handgun Manager comes over, sides with clerk. Now my friend is getting aggravated, gets store manager, explains in detail how NY works, and what is going on. Store manager sides with clerk. My friend stands there for a second in disbelief, shakes his head, and leaves his 1K plus cart of stuff right at the firearms counter and says "Fine, good bye!" and leaves
            He would regularly call me up and say "We're going to Cabela's, want to come along? and we'd make that trip about once a month, especially when 22 ammo was scarce, buying what we could to keep the Scout camp's ranges supplied, and he'd drop a Grand every time we went
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Don’t get all excited about a PA gun show. Went to the one at Splitrock today.
              expensive AR parts, no guns that remotely looked to be a deal, expensive ammo (.80/rd for .223) no reloading supplies to speak off (I did see primers for $65).

All prices seemed firm with no haggling.

even they guys that have the tables of old parts, open boxes of reloading supplies, etc has nothing good.

Plenty of knives, beef jerky, and pickles.

Comment

Originally posted by 50bmgshooter View Post

what about buying a full featured AR in another state that you have no intentions to bring back here?
                I was thinking about buying a AR 10 and keeping it at my families house in TN
                Hope it's not too late to answer this.

On one hand, the technicality is that you can't possess the gun in NY, according to NY law. It doesn't say that as a New Yorker, you can't possess the gun in another state. The reality is that the dealer in the other state is going to be rightfully reticent to assist you in becoming a felon in New York and might refuse to sell it to you. It's up to him.

I would suggest that you bring the deed to your family's home, and hope that their last name is the same as yours. Maybe the dealer will go for that. You are allowed to be domiciled in more than one state, the Feds recognize that.

To review, you must not be buying this gun for a family member in another state, and lying about buying it just for yourself, that is a straw purchase.... nor may you actually intend to cross into NY with it, because then you are dragging the dealer into your conspiracy to possess an assault rifle in NYS.

In conclusion, I would imagine (I'm not the DA) that buying the rifle in another state and leaving it there should be simple, we know it's legal (on its face), we just have to find a dealer willing to believe you.

I am a dealer, not a lawyer or DA, do not fight with anyone over my opinion, I do not have the force of law!

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

Hope it's not too late to answer this.

On one hand, the technicality is that you can't possess the gun in NY, according to NY law. It doesn't say that as a New Yorker, you can't possess the gun in another state. The reality is that the dealer in the other state is going to be rightfully reticent to assist you in becoming a felon in New York and might refuse to sell it to you. It's up to him.

I would suggest that you bring the deed to your family's home, and hope that their last name is the same as yours. Maybe the dealer will go for that. You are allowed to be domiciled in more than one state, the Feds recognize that.

To review, you must not be buying this gun for a family member in another state, and lying about buying it just for yourself, that is a straw purchase.... nor may you actually intend to cross into NY with it, because then you are dragging the dealer into your conspiracy to possess an assault rifle in NYS.

In conclusion, I would imagine (I'm not the DA) that buying the rifle in another state and leaving it there should be simple, we know it's legal (on its face), we just have to find a dealer willing to believe you.

I am a dealer, not a lawyer or DA, do not fight with anyone over my opinion, I do not have the force of law!

Thanks for the response, No definitely not to late plus it my help someone else also
                  at best I figured it would be what you are saying
                  I really wanted to know the legal stand point to even justify talking to a dealer in TN about the purchase.
                  with it not being illegal to purchase it I probably will try talking to a dealer or 2 down there, if it was indeed illegal I wouldnt wast their time asking
                  Originally posted by Mad Russian;n47464
                  BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
                  The AR.....wins...????
                  Oh God!
                  I can't believe I said that!!!
                  I'm gonna puke!!!
                  BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X