Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should The Dangerously Poisoned Be Allowed To Bear Arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should The Dangerously Poisoned Be Allowed To Bear Arms?

According to an in-depth report from WBALTV, Korryn Gaines, the Randallstown (MD) woman who held her child hostage in an apparently premeditated day-long armed standoff with tactical officers before being shot and killed was confirmed to have long suffered from lead poisoning.
    Gaines suffered from lead poisoning which can interfere with rational thinking, 11 News has learned.

According to records from a lawsuit Gaines filed against several landlords, a doctor said that “Korryn was exposed to a sea of lead when she lived in lead-contaminated houses. She does have a neurodevelopmental disability and brain damage.”

Her mother said in a deposition that, “She didn’t want to listen. She has poor decision making skills. I think she needs guidance.”

Advocates said those are characteristics of the effects of lead poisoning.
    The effects of lead are particularly pronounced on children, and a 2014 report notes that early childhood lead exposure can lead to pronounced aggression and criminal behavior.
    Lead exposure in children primarily comes from exposure to lead paint chips and lead paint dust, but can also come from lead in water, lead solder in some foreign canned goods, and some traditional Hispanic and asian home remedies. Lead from firearms ammunition and primers is not a significant factor.

The presence of lead in the body can easily be detected with a simple finger prick blood test.

The Mayo Clinic notes:
    A level of 5 mcg/dL or higher indicates your child may have unsafe levels of lead in their blood and should have their blood tested periodically. If levels become too high — generally 45 mcg/dL or higher — your child should be treated.
    The lowest levels can be treated by simply removing the source of exposure. In the United States, most children are exposed to lead due to living in older residences with lead-based paints, and experts state that the exposure can be minimized by simply sealing the lead-based paint by applying layers of regular latex house paint over top of it.

Children exposed to higher levels of lead-based paint may have to undergo one of two kinds of therapy that remove lead from the body. Chelation therapy binds lead so that it can be safely excreted through urine, while EDTA or ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid therapy is used in more extreme cases.

But what can we do about those cases where those poisoned by lead were not treated in time, where the victims of high levels of lead exposure and dangerous brain damaged like Korryn Gaines, or another infamous lead-poisoned person from Maryland, Freddie Gray? What do we do about the thousands who may have sustained damage in the Flint, Michigan water disaster, or who are stuck in decaying homes and neighborhoods around the country?

If the research is correct and heavy lead exposure leads to permanent brain damage linked to high levels of criminal violence and unwarranted aggression, then it seems that those affected should be added to the list of persons prohibited from possessing firearms.

Heavy exposure to lead—especially in childhood—causes permanent brain damage linked to criminal behavior and unwarranted aggression.

Lol Doesn't every person shot always have a higher concentration of lead than people who don't get shot?
    Hunter, NRA Life Member, NYS Deplorable

🚄TrumpTrain2016🇺🇸.🇺🇸.🇺🇸

Pro Political Term Limits
    Anti High Capacity Mag Limits
    Fuck Andrew Cuomo's Suck my Ass Act

Comment

Originally posted by NYDeer View Post
      Lol Doesn't every person shot always have a higher concentration of lead than people who don't get shot?
      Rimshot! 😄
      NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
      NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

Comment

Apparently lead paint chips taste like white chocolate, which is why kids eat them.

Lead ad poisoning is one of the impairments that can impact decision making. It is a very real concern in terms of whether we want to keep firearms out of the hands of people who have a higher possibility of doing bad things with them. At one end the extreme are those who say anyone should be able to own a firearm, period. At the other end are people who feel that in order to be allowed to own a firearm, you should be fully screened and demonstrate proficiency and a need. Obviously we are all opposed to the latter viewpoint, but the other end of the spectrum poses issues for us. Does anyone here truly support people walking out of prison or a mental hospital after 30 years following a homicide and being able to buy a firearm?

Regarding mental issues, I have a nephew who is about to turn 20. He is MR (the more acceptable way of saying mentally retarded, which has become a perjorative term), has mild Cerebral Palsy, has issues with his feet which will require him soon to undergo his 11th surgery, has autistic tendencies and has other issues. He happens to be a sweet kid. When he turns 21 next year, what is to stop him from walking into a gun store to buy whatever he wants? I have made it known that I won't be taking him to the range as I do with other family members and friends, but there is nothing to stop him from obtaining a gun. It will never happen, but it is more of an academic discussion.
        I don't have any answers. Just food for thought.

Comment

Nope, they shouldn't. Sole reason being that gives the government permission to look at our medical records and then determine whether or not we're 'fit' enough to own a firearm. Very dangerous road.
          “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by pandm View Post
            According to an in-depth report from WBALTV, Korryn Gaines, the Randallstown (MD) woman who held her child hostage in an apparently premeditated day-long armed standoff with tactical officers before being shot and killed was confirmed to have long suffered from lead poisoning.[INDENT][SIZE=16px]Gaines suffered from lead poisoning which can interfere with rational thinking, 11 News has learned.
            EUREKA - This explains where liberals came from!!!!!
            The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

As far as this case is concerned...My first question would be ..Did she posses this firearm legally ..now I'm not sure if she had been disqualified for other reasons in spite of the Lead issue. If so the lead issue is not relevant in this case .
              But lets not confuse this thread .... this case was about a woman that argued in court she was MENTALLY DEFECTIVE and supported that argument.... if the judge found in her favor she would have been found to be mentally defective by a court .......that's question 11f on ATF 4473... a "YES" is a disqualification .

Comment

This is a slippery slope. The next step up from this is firearm ownership disqualification based on disposition.

"We checked your genetic DNA and it appears that your genetic DNA has you predisposed to anger and violence"

Should circumstances you were exposed to during childhood or beyond your control determine your eligibility to firearm ownership?

Theoretically, you could create a whole class of people who could be disqualified from firearm ownership based on "accidental" exposure to lead and chemicals.

Think all those folks in India had any choice in the matter on December 3rd, 1984 with the Union Carbide disaster that immediately killed 8000 people, and another 8000 people over two weeks and exposed 500,000 more people to the long term effects of methyl chloride? That's a half million people folks.

These are tough questions with no easy answers, personally I am against it. Where does the buck stop? The less we push back, the more legislation will encroach upon our liberties.

Comment

All they have to do is start pouring lead into the water supply, then make everyone get a "blood test" before purchasing a firearm. Boom, banned guns.

Comment

My Dad was pretty PO'd when they took lead out of paint.
                    He suggested parents actually parent and not let their toddlers eat paint
                    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
                      My Dad was pretty PO'd when they took lead out of paint.
                      He suggested parents actually parent and not let their toddlers eat paint
                      The only problem is kids don't have to eat paint to get lead poisoning, part of what I do for a living required me to be HUD certified in Lead Based Paint abatement. While chipping or peeling paint are obvious indicators any point of friction (cabinets, doors, windows, etc) have the potential for releasing airborne lead contaminants. But what the hell do I know I grew up in the 50's where we had lead paint and asbestos sandwiches for lunch and we still survived. What pisses me off are the EPA VOC restrictions, some things just need to be painted with an oil based paint.

Comment

I'll also throw it out there now that 95% of kids toys.....or 100% of non high-end toys.....are made in China and numerous ones have been recalled due to them containing lead.
                        The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                          . Does anyone here truly support people walking out of prison or a mental hospital after 30 years following a homicide and being able to buy a firearm?

Regarding mental issues, I have a nephew who is about to turn 20. He is MR.When he turns 21 next year, what is to stop him from walking into a gun store to buy whatever he wants?
                          If somebody is convicted and locked up in prison or a mental hospital, they aren't allowed to own firearms.

As as for mental issues, your concern over 2A rights are second fiddle to those individuals civil rights. Although they have reduced mental capacity, they retain the civil rights everybody else has including refusing any and all treatment for any conditions, if they say so. If a court rules they are not capable of making decisions, and designated into a power or attorney/custodial situation, I think most wouldn't have a problem having them on a 'no firearms registry'. Just allowing a court to deem someone not allowed to own guns, but make every other life's decision is absolutely ridiculous.

Hunter, NRA Life Member, NYS Deplorable

🚄TrumpTrain2016🇺🇸.🇺🇸.🇺🇸

Pro Political Term Limits
                          Anti High Capacity Mag Limits
                          Fuck Andrew Cuomo's Suck my Ass Act

Comment

As always tread carefully when it comes to mental or emotional issues.

Sure someone who's been long term (years) in a hospital is one thing.

What about the person who's been in therapy or group for grief counseling over the death of a child? Or a spouse who's been battling cancer? Or survived a bad accident that others, perhaps family members, didn't survive?

Schit happens in life. Having someone to at least vent to is helpful.

I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                            I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Working...
                            X