• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington Offers Jobs Back Amid Union Concerns

Remington Offers Jobs Back Amid Union Concerns

by Guy J. Sagi - Thursday, January 7, 2021

More
    SUBSCRIBE
    Roundhill Group, the firm that purchased the Remington firearm assets for $13 million during Remington Outdoor bankruptcy proceedings two months ago, has issued letters to nearly 200 of the 585 former workers in the failed company’s famed Ilion, NY, plant asking if they can report back to work on Feb. 15. The new owners anticipate ATF will have approved their FFL by that time, although officials from United Mine Workers Local 717—the labor union representing most employees at the factory—have expressed concern over the pre-Christmas announcement.

The Syracuse Post-Standard summarized the tension as, “Union accuses Remington Arms’ new owner in Ilion of going around it with job offers.” A union official told the newspaper that the labor contract clearly states workers will be called back by seniority, but claimed there are indications the stipulation was not honored in the rehiring offers.

“The company’s move also drew criticism because it included a request that workers waive various legal rights, including claims for separation pay and other benefits,” the article explains. Workers have been picketing the plant periodically, hoping to recover severance, vacation and health benefits from Remington Outdoor, despite the fact it was dissolved and sold off in pieces months ago.

“Personally I’m not asking any ex-Remington employees to give up any rights they may have against the old company or estate,” Roundhill Group partner Richmond Italia said in a statement sent to Utica, NY’s News Channel 2. “The reality is there was a insistence from the estate that that language be put in the offer letter. My lawyer suggested that we comply with their request. All I could say is that if the employees give up that right or not, it will not affect our decision on hiring them.” The TV station reports that the workers offered to resume work, at the same pay, had until Dec. 28 to respond.

“Our goal was at the very least to try and make 200 families a little more secure in this holiday season,” Italia told the Times Telegram. “We will not stop working towards bringing Remington back to the height of its operations in Ilion, NY.”

IN THIS ARTICLE

Sorry to all you unionists, but... Fucking unions! It's not enough to offer some people their jobs back. Perhaps they should just hire a bunch of low wage illegals instead, no?

Comment

Unions use to be important.

They now mostly hamstring organizations, protect the inept and lazy, and vote Democrats into office.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
        Unions use to be important.

They now mostly hamstring organizations, protect the inept and lazy, and vote Democrats into office.
        Yup

Comment

Unions are the counterbalance to shitty management.
          Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
            Unions are the counterbalance to shitty management.
            Because they're so well run themselves?? They work against almost everything America stands for. They used to stand up for the worker, now they are just political machines.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
              Unions used to counterbalance to shitty management.
              FIFY.

Now unions only exist to protect the worst workers. The good workers work their asses off and the bad workers skate. Can't fire the bad workers, so the good workers just work harder.
              If you took all the money paid in union dues and just invested it, you'd be far better off in retirement than the pension plans you get.

Nobody should be forced to join a union to do any job.

Work hard, get ahead, save your money, retire.
              Not
              Barely work, get along, waste money, gather pension paid for by saps.

/rant

Comment

Originally posted by 67Builder View Post

FIFY.

Now unions only exist to protect the worst workers. The good workers work their asses off and the bad workers skate. Can't fire the bad workers, so the good workers just work harder.
                If you took all the money paid in union dues and just invested it, you'd be far better off in retirement than the pension plans you get.

Not

/rant
                Testify, brother!!!

Comment

Originally posted by raceradam View Post

Because they're so well run themselves?? They work against almost everything America stands for. They used to stand up for the worker, now they are just political machines.
                  Because we only teach Management By Objective in business schools and we hand out MBA's like candy. Most MBA's are useless POS's.
                  Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by 67Builder View Post

FIFY.

Not

/rant
                    The problem is Price's Law: Calculate your total number of employees, find the square root, that number of employees does half the work in any organization. So, por ejemplo, if I run a corporation with 100 employees, 10 of them are doing half the work. I have to find them, identify them and take care of them. In a corporation with 10,000 employees, I have to find the 100 that do half the work. It takes too long to sort it all out so unions were developed to counter crappy management.

Myself, having watched it all for decades, decided early on to have no more than four employees. The square root of four is two, therefore two employees do half the work and the other two employees do the other half. The hard part is getting from four workers to fifteen workers. My kid just hit sixteen employees and he's finally making money again. One of his key four people just hit him up for a raise, $20K. Said he was being poached. After asking him where this cat stood in the food chain I advised him to cut a bigger check.

Comment

Union Rules; Until it Doesn't

A dedicated Teamsters union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, "Is this a union house?" "No," she replied, "I'm sorry it isn't." "Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" "The house gets $60 and the girls get $40," she answered. Offended at such unfair dealings, the union man stomped off down the street in search of a more equitable, hopefully unionized shop. His search continued until finally he reached
                      a brothel where the Madam responded, "Why yes sir, this is a union house. We observe all union rules."The man asked, "And, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" "The girls get $80 and the house gets $20." "That's more like it!" the union man said. He handed the Madam $100, looked around the room, and pointed to a stunningly attractive blue-eyed blonde. "I'd like her," he said.

"I'm sure you would, sir," said the Madam. Then she gestured to a 80 year old woman in the corner,
                      "but Nancy here has 40 years seniority and according to union rules, she's next."
                      Steve

Comment

i was union in another life ----
                        now i am the manager of a division of a world wide company , we are mostly non union , have subs for doing city / gov work who require them . my newest employee can out work them - does not ask for a 15 minute break twice a day and a half hour for lunch . plus the time to get to and from job site to union lunch room .
                        i was on a few project with union workers and it seems all the same story .

and a lot of union shops will bid on big jobs , both as union and non union --- making tons of paper work for me

. when i worked in the union we had some niceties but it was all serious work , and had to be completed on time to get em flying .

unions were good until about 1935 then what have they really done other than charge much more than it should and launder money to the dems

Comment

Working...
                        X