Well now, who knew a hot ejected casing could set off a primer? VIDEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well now, who knew a hot ejected casing could set off a primer? VIDEO

The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Very interesting.

Comment

simple solution...shoot outdoors
      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Comment

Or just keep your ammo covered in it's box.

Comment

3:43 of useless blather surrounding a video of <10 seconds. Annoying.
          Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by class3 View Post
            3:43 of useless blather surrounding a video of <10 seconds. Annoying.
            I'm not going to say you are wrong on your point, but saying that, with your experience have you ever seen this?

Does the youtube " love to hear myself talk" take away from what happened?
            The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

• class3
              class3 commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't seen it happen and it is a realistic issue even if the probability is small. But it could have been a 30 second wrapper instead of a 3:30 wrapper.

Unicorns exist. Never heard of this happening before…interesting.

Comment

Lesson learned.... keep your ready ammo covered in a box. Simple enough.
              But is it still okay to hang grenades from their rings?
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• M-14BULLETTS
                M-14BULLETTS commented
                Editing a comment
                only if they are electrical taped

Couldn't watch the whole video, skipped to what actually happened. Not saying anyone is saying that the heat of the hot brass had anything to do with what happened, but primers are fairly easy to set off from an impact, more difficult from heat. The only time I have ever witnessed heat being part of the equation is when doing mag dumps on full auto, certain firearms can allow enough heat transfer to extend into the receiver to cause primers to ignite out of battery, not from any physical impact, solely from heat alone. I once made an ass of myself back in the day about a fire I operated at where I was in a fully involved basement, and the point I chose to commence suppression was later determined to be on top of a pile of ammo, and I thought it a close call. Nay said the men, and the science to back it up. Now onto impact, an old friend of mine, at the start of his gunsmithing career, read the book Without Remorse, by Tom Clancy. The obvious reaction he had was that it was completely absurd (bullshit, to be frank, but my friend chooses to remain polite) that every red blooded American did not have a bang stick at the ready, So he went out to home depot and speedymetals.com and got weird with it. Fast forward to various firing pin tests, rough primer impact tests, innumerable watermelon stabbings, being banished to gunsmith in a dimly lit, far less than full height attic by a new mother of a wife, and all sorts of well intentioned but poorly informed experiments later, and the conclusion was beyond dispute. For only a few dollars, everyone can craft bang sticks in an attic, and, most pertinent to this discussion, primers do not take much to set off. The difference between military primers and commercial is a considerable factor as well, as anyone with a mini 14, 30, 7.62x39 ar, or soviet axis conversion can likely attest, but the freakiest thing about this occurrence is the landing point and angle of the brass. You will not see this every day, but would be able to replicate on demand, if the weight, velocity, and angle of the falling spent brass were calculated, as needed.

Allegedly, of course.

Comment

• Sig
                Sig commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree it was most likely impact that set it off. Heat doesn't transfer that fast. Probably better odds winning Lotto than that happening again.

Well ok then. Another thing to be wary of, even if its unlikely.

Comment

I'm guilty of leaving ammo out like that also. I guess I'm not gonna do that anymore even though it was a very rare occurrence.

Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Definitely not the heat, but impact cause it. This is another example of strange and rare things happening when explosives are near by. No such thing is 100% guaranteed safety.

Comment

A coworker was dumping rounds into a ammo can and a .40 went off. Heard I’d a few drop detonations over the years. But never a casing hitting a primer.

Fluke-a-riffic.
                    When they kick out your front door
                    How you gonna come?
                    With your hands on your head
                    Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm66 View Post
                      A coworker was dumping rounds into a ammo can and a .40 went off. Heard I’d a few drop detonations over the years. But never a casing hitting a primer.

Fluke-a-riffic.
                      I wouldn't figure an empty shell casing would have enough mass to set off a primer.

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

I wouldn't figure an empty shell casing would have enough mass to set off a primer.
                        Remember, it is Mass x Velocity.

A 375 H&H standing still can't even kill a frog...until it's moving at 2,300 fps, then it can kill an Elephant.
                        LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• M-14BULLETTS
                          M-14BULLETTS commented
                          Editing a comment
                          stop with the science things ---- please we believe the science

• BLAMMO!!
                          BLAMMO!! commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There was some math there too and I was told there wouldn't be any math.
                      Working...
                      X