ComBloc Firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ComBloc Firearms

Even before joining the military, I've been a big fan of enemy weapons and recognition and even used to study armored vehicle silhouettes in high school (older brother was a Dragon anti-tank gunner in the Marines). I bought my first AK before heading off to Boot Camp in the mid-80's (still have it).

Norinco 56 (where it all began for me)

Norinco AK47.jpg

Post what you have - had - want - used, etc.

“The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
    Algernon Blackwood

$199 Polish P64 made in 1968, upgraded with a reduced 18 lb Wolff trigger spring. This would be a great carry gun if I wasn't left handed.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
      SemiAutoFetish
      Donated Member
      SemiAutoFetish commented
      Editing a comment
      You got a link for that trigger spring? Does it help the double action pull at all???

• Pat M
      Pat M
      Donated Member
      Pat M commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the original double-action trigger pull is 25 lbs. Wolff Springs offers a 18 lb replacement. There's a video on YouTube on how to change it. The website is going to a dead end, so I would call them.
      Pat M
      Donated Member
      Last edited by Pat M; 12-25-2021, 06:36 PM.

Tagged for later when I have some time, Dan you know I'm in on this.

Comment

My first pistol was a Bulgarian Makarov which i later updated by pressing in a new SS extended ported barrel and new spring kit. Later updating it again to include a thumb mag release. My first Commie Bloc of many
    A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

“The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restraints evil interference, they deserve a place of honor with all that is good -
    George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Pat M View Post
    $199 Polish P64 made in 1968, upgraded with a reduced 18 lb Wolff trigger spring. This would be a great carry gun if I wasn't left handed.
    Screenshot_20211225-152351_Instagram.jpg Love mine!

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
      SemiAutoFetish
      Donated Member
      SemiAutoFetish commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same rig. Nice

• Pat M
      Pat M
      Donated Member
      Pat M commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine chucks the shells so far, I don't know where they land. I've only recovered about half of them. Commie copy of the Walther, all steel, great quality.

Oh man...this thread could demand lots of pic uploads....

Comment

Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post
      Oh man...this thread could demand lots of pic uploads....
      Going to try to post one-a-day until I run out.
      Algernon Blackwood

Comment

• mattyj513
        mattyj513
        Mad Gunsmith
        mattyj513 commented
        Editing a comment
        Today's youth/the greater internet would say "This is the way".

• LI Ammo
        LI Ammo
        Gunseller
        LI Ammo commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm getting older, almost Social Security time, can we make it two-a-day so I'll live to see them all?

• Dan 0351
        Dan 0351
        Instructor/Collector
        Dan 0351 commented
        Editing a comment
        Alan, if you're starting to feel like you're going toward the Light....let us know and we'll hurry this thread up!

My Norinco Type 54 Tok (circa 1984)
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Life Member:
      American Suppressor Association
      Gun Owners of America
      Second Amendment Foundation
      National Rifle Association

Comment

Yugo Zastava M57 w/ Crest on top of slide
        7.62x25mm:

20211028_123625.jpg 20211028_123658.jpg
        SemiAutoFetish
        Donated Member
        Last edited by SemiAutoFetish; 12-25-2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

The ones that got away… Rifles etc - Chinese AKs for$200, Chinese / Russian SKS $150 in TNT, Romy PSL at Yonkers gun show, Chinese Tiger SVD in .308 at gun show somewhere upstate (Midldletown?) & finally East German SSG bolt action in 5.45 at gun show in King of Prussia PA. Yugo AKs /SKS at several local dealers pre safe of course , I think. Over the years, at several gun shows, any Combloc rifle in .22LR. Holding onto ANY Saiga in any caliber I purchased!
          Pistolas-I tried several different Maks & Toks none sparked any desire to own one. Nagant revolver for $100 at same PA gun show.
          Surfer21
          Donated Member
          Last edited by Surfer21; 12-26-2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• mattyj513
            mattyj513
            Mad Gunsmith
            mattyj513 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure when, as at a rate of 1 per day we will all likely be long dead by the time the whole collection is posted, but I have an inkling there is an SSG floating around a member's arsenal.

This thread is already giving me movement. Dan, not sure if you want to narrow "combloc", though I'm sure the more gun posts the better, I feel like some of our history scholars and semantics superheroes may be champing at the bit to nitpick chicom, pre/post soviet, design origin, etc.

I'll start off with one of my all time favorite rifles, one of only a few I ever purchased built that I have not performed any modifications on (minus the scope), and spoiler alert, it is not an AK. And it only shoots 22lr. And it's not even semi automatic.

20151027_193721.jpg

The Izhmash Sobol is a 22lr toggle action rifle. Generally regarded as a more refined level of offering than standard Izh fare, it has been referred to as the Russian 10/22. The cold hammer forged free float barrel falls just shy of 20 inches, sports a deep inset target crown, includes a hooded front sight and a rear sight that can be set to either 25 or 75 meters via a slide style button (visible above), and a dovetail mount for optics. Added a Redfield Battlezone Tac scope, sadly now discontinued, that is calibrated for 36gr hp @ 1260 fps. The action sits in a birch hardwood monte carlo stock, with checkered grip, front and rear sling swivels, and a lower trap door that holds two additional magazines. Trigger guard safety easily punches forward to go hot. Trigger is smooth as glass and crisp as an autumn morn, breaking at 2.5lbs on the nose.

_20151022_190110.jpg Something about the barely perceptible ripples left behind on the barrel during the cold hammer forging process, mmm mmm mmm. Mesmerizing, like staring deep into a roaring fire while you are totally drunk.

_20151022_185908.jpg ​​​​​​
          And the crown, truly a fitting term, it's like a work of art.

_20151022_185846.jpg

The trap door, housing two additional magazines. Also visible is the checkering, very fine work, especially considering some of the rough and utilitarian lumber that has passed the furniture qc checkpoint over the years at Izhmash. Base of the grip is a much darker shade, and while not especially noteworthy in its own right, it does add a subtle touch of individuality to the stock and rifle as a whole, which pleases me.

So back in 2015 (the before times, when the song of our people was thanks obama and corona was just a shitty mexican beer mixed with water) I had acquired a combloc air rifle that broke the mold of what normally piqued my interest (I have some weird firearm caveats that result in certain types of arms being of absolutely no interest to me). After myself and a few brothers in arms used it to good effect to eliminate an army of east new york super rats that were laying siege to our firehouse, I began perusing the atypical, non ak offerings from the motherland. At the time there was really not a ton of options available new, when I happened upon a freshly imported batch of the above rifle. In dire need of a transfer, I did the only thing any true red blood American man could do. And as we all know,
          Volkosupply
          Your Neighborly FFL
          Volkosupply was great as always, not only providing the transfer but also giving me the 101 on toggle actions/biathlon rifles.

Most commonly seen in olympic style competition, and typically outfitted with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos to bring home the gold, these biathlon rifles are legendary for their accuracy, and the Sobol is no exception. Outfitted with a more standard hardwood stock as opposed to the futuristic olympic style, the Sobol sought to bridge the gap between recreational, hunting, and hardcore competitive shooting, and in my humble opinion they nailed it. Sometimes referred to as a style of straight pull bolt action, it could more accurately be described as a toggle lever action repeater, with the lever being located on the ejection side as opposed to below. The toggle action is operated by wrapping the thumb of your right hand over the handle and flicking your thumb back, then forward. Full of potential for Jerry Miculek to manually convert into full auto. For our left handed members, best bet is likely to receive a 12 year catholic school education pre 1975, the sisters will get you squared away quick. There are left handed models produced, but they won't get the devil out of you.

I don't have any target photos handy, but it wouldn't matter, the rifle is far more accurate than I'll ever be. Shooting out the red star at the carnival with your eyes closed accurate. Nothing but rave reviews at the Freeport Night shoot I brought it to from everyone that got to play with it. ~$625 at the time, I would not think twice paying double that today. Would make a great introductory firearm for anyone grown enough to safely hold it, coming in around 7 lbs. The toggle action allows for faster, more efficient repeat shots than a bolt action, while still requiring the mandatory pause between shots where fundamentals are built that a semi lacks. A point that can make the difference between a new safe shooter for life and a rapid fire knucklehead we'd be better off without. But I digress.

Besides being tough to find stateside, the only obvious negative is the price and availability of accessories and mags. Not a big deal to be honest, as it comes with 3x mags and for most use cases it does not require any accessories, but 5 round magazines regularly go for $80+. (Note to self, I lacked a 3d printer in the before times).

In summary, buy these if you find them. You can always turn a dollar profit on these rifles if you need to resell. Or, you can turn an existential profit and use it to teach. Bit of an oddball choice for this, I know, but I'll be back with something more traditional tomorrow.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj513 View Post
          This thread is already giving me movement. Dan, not sure if you want to narrow "combloc", though I'm sure the more gun posts the better, I feel like some of our history scholars and semantics superheroes may be champing at the bit to nitpick chicom, pre/post soviet, design origin, etc.
          Damn Matty, awesome rifle! And the write-up was a thread in itself! Perfect. Exactly what I was going for with this thread. The barrel reminds me of that SSG 82 barrel.

Keep 'em coming.

Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Norinco BWK 92 (5.56mm)

And after some work in a NYPD locker room, circa 1992:

Norinco AK74 5.56mm.jpg
          Algernon Blackwood

Comment

• Dan 0351
            Dan 0351
            Instructor/Collector
            Dan 0351 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, a guy I used to work with - "Stewie" - was brilliant with all things that went bang. I handed this stock rifle and he worked on it for a few days after our tour. AK74-types hadn't hit the US market and I wanted this as close as I could get. The 45 degree gas blovk kinda' ruins it, but.....it's ok.

• Organix
            Organix
            Registered User!
            Organix commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you have to thread the muzzle?

• Dan 0351
            Dan 0351
            Instructor/Collector
            Dan 0351 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great question. I haven't seen BWK's with threaded barrels, so I'm guessing Stewie did that too.

Mismatched 1954 military CZ 52

1022211445a.jpg
          Attached Files
          Life Member:
          American Suppressor Association
          Gun Owners of America
          Second Amendment Foundation
          National Rifle Association

Comment

The Russian and Chinese rifles I have are the ones that always go to the range. Plus the value of these things have gone up which is a plus.

Comment

Working...
          X