An awesome post from a NY Firearms Moderator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An awesome post from a NY Firearms Moderator

A moderator from NY Firearms posted that he is resigning because the website was purchased by Vertical Scope.

He stated:

“I’m not going to help line the pockets of a company affiliated with the anti-gun
    Toronto Star (Torstar owns the Toronto Star and has a majority stake in Vertical Scope). I can’t in good conscience volunteer my time and effort where the main purpose of the site is to make money, especially when that money will flow into an anti’s hands.”

Hopefully he will join Long Island Gun Club.

Perhaps a joint member will send him an invite.

“I resign as moderator"

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/announc...moderator.html

We all have to make difficult decisions from time to time. Since the forum was bought by Vertical Scope a couple weeks ago, I was forced to reevaluate what I wanted to “get out” of being here and what I want to “put in”. I've been a member of the NYF community for over 6 years now and a mod for the past 3 and a half. I’ve put in hundreds and hundreds of hours on this site, both as a user and a moderator. I have had the privilege of meeting a fair number of fellow members here. We have rallied in Albany and gone on camping trips. I’d call some people here friends.

I still believe that this site is a great resource for the firearms community in NY. I signed up to moderate and help the firearms community of NY. I know that the previous owner may have been making money on it, but, that is OK. I know him personally and he is one of us. I know his love for this community and the Second Amendment is strong. However, I didn’t join the staff to help anybody to make money.

I mean no disrespect to the team actually doing the work at Vertical Scope, and every interaction I have had with them has been good, but I’m not going to help line the pockets of a company affiliated with the anti-gun
    Toronto Star (Torstar owns the Toronto Star and has a majority stake in Vertical Scope). I can’t in good conscience volunteer my time and effort where the main purpose of the site is to make money, especially when that money will flow into an anti’s hands. That is what I take most issue with. The people with a true vested interest in the site need to have a passion for the content. If another gun-loving, pro Second Amendment company bought this site, it may be a different story.

Unfortunately, I have to stand up for what I believe in and step down as moderator, effective immediately (or whenever they take my privileges away). This was a tough decision because I really want to stay involved with NYFirearms, but I just can’t do it. I’ve been mulling over this decision for a while now, and I think it is the right one. I may hang around, or I may not. I haven’t decided yet. Obviously anything I’ve done as moderator will stay confidential.

I would like to thank the moderators and admins for being a great bunch of people and helping me do what I did as moderator. You are all awesome. Thanks to the person who I’ve been bouncing this decision off of. Talking about this has helped me realize that this is the right decision. Most of all, thank you to the community. This place wouldn’t be the same without everyone who is currently here and who is no longer with us. You are what really make NYFirearms the great community that it is, no matter who is in charge or owns the site. The site would be nothing and nowhere without you.

Take care,

- NF

Sounds familiar. Just take out the VS name.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

Nice thought, but I hate long good-byes.

Last edited by Dan 0351; 09-03-2016, 01:02 PM. Reason: I was being alittle bit of a dick.....
      “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
      Algernon Blackwood

Comment

If we don't get our shit together as a 2A community we will be meeting in caves to discuss firearms.

Comment

I read it also. It was a well thought out and well written post. The following posts talk about the demise of other NY sites that are also owned by the Canucks.
          Last edited by Karpteach; 09-03-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Classy move, IMHO.
            If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

I liked this reply:

Another NY-based firearms forum that was taken over by VerticalScope is dead now; I hope the same does not happen here.
              I wonder what that referred to?
              Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

So did Vyocor respond with his own long winded, condescending rebuttal, and set this guy straight about how immature he was being?

Comment

I like when people have integrity.
                  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Comment

Being a mod is a thankless job to begin with. Doing it for a anti is just plain stupid
                    let's make america great again

Comment

I see a name change coming, L.I. gun club is now N.Y. gun club?

Comment

Bravo Zulu NF.
                        I don't know about the Toronto Star but I'm going with what the moderator says is an honest assessment of the papers anti gun position. I'm guessing it's akin to Newsday taking over this site. I would hope that us all, members, mods and advertisers would try to force a takeover or walk away from the site and break ground on another site.
                        I respect his decision and if I was a member there I would follow his lead.
                        "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

He made the right decision . Luckily the mods here will never leave due to the endless supply of free goat cheese

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                            Nice thought, but I hate long good-byes.
                            Manliest post of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoe59 View Post
                              I see a name change coming, L.I. gun club is now N.Y. gun club?
                              You might be onto something.

Strength in numbers?

Comment

Working...
                              X