Opinions and predictions, oh my.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions and predictions, oh my.

Just got my pistol license 3/28/22. I know, I keep stating that on these forums, but I want to be clear about my lack of experience up front.

I am comfortable with, and am enjoying, my first handgun, a Walther PDP Full size 4.5". I also have owned a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge 18.5" for years.

All else being equal, I would be perfectly content with the two firearms I currently own. (I realize this may be an unpopular attitude amongst the collectors and aficionados here, but it is what it is, please judge me kindly.)

The SCOTUS may potentially make a ruling that may potentially affect the legality and details of carrying a handgun in NY State. I think we're all aware of the impending event.

To date, I have dismissed owning an easily concealable, carry friendly pistol, as I am of the feeling that I'm not legally allowed to EDC concealed anyway, so..... (to and from a range, or while actively/legally hunting, doesn't count to me, YMMV.).
    My Walther is a full size pistol (and like I mentioned, I really like it). With the right wardrobe, I suppose I could carry it, but you have to understand my point.

Here's my question, asking for opinions and predictions:
    If our SCOTUS does in fact make a favorable ruling, and at the outside chance that the Empire State conforms and abides by that favorable ruling (regardless of whatever restrictions and impediments they can throw down in the way), do you think that the availability of compact and subcompact pistols will become a major issue? Follow up (and, I suppose my primary question/concern), should someone (anyone) in my position, strongly consider acquiring a EDC friendly weapon now, before any potential ruling?
    In other words, I'm concerned that the option to EDC will become available, I'll have a valid license, but I won't be able to buy an appropriate handgun.

Yes, buy now

Comment

• Mike103
      Mike103 commented
      Editing a comment
      The answer is always buy now.

As stated above. Whatever you may think that you want to own, buy it now before they add anymore hoops to jump through. Example ...microstamping, or any other similar bullshit regs, this way you're grandfathered.

Comment

Regardless of any possible SCOTUS decision there is no way of knowing what the future holds regarding inventory, availability, pricing, selection and a dozen other variables. Try to get a sense of what flavor you like and grab one (or more). No better way to establish a relationship w a good LGS and meet some like minded folks along the way.
      Worst case? You will have invested in something that will appreciate in value even if it never becomes a favorite or EDC gun for you. Future heirloom? “The” gun you teach your child or grandchild to shoot with?
      Lots of good reasons to say yes to grabbing another gun sooner than later and very few reasons not too…IMHO

Comment

I had one handgun for about a year, feeling all content, then added a shotgun when I acquired some land upstate. Few months after that I decided to add a rifle, cover all my bases. Fast forward a bit, my gun laboratory is now larger than my first born teenage son's bedroom. Only a matter of time.

​​​​

Comment

You make a great point with availability. If I were in your shoes I'd at least do my homework now and get your greasy palms on various models to help you narrow it down, see what feels good, and if anything really floats your boat and you have the cash available, I'd buy now for peace of mind. Comfort in the hand is my first determining factor on any gun purchase, and you'll most likely have a wider selection now to try out for the very reasons you mentioned. At the very least, you could always use it as your carry gun to and from the range for comfort.

Comment

Buy now. Look at the mess and shortage of 2020. Consider the price hike, as was mentioned.

I agree with the others as far as trying out as many as possible.

Doesn't South Shore Shooting Range rent some guns?
            Maybe a trip to a PA range that rents. You can really get a good feel that way.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Perhaps off topic. I suggest you get some training with your pistol. Not just some basic NRA class either. Once you start to "know what you don't know" your attitude towards firearms, firearms acquisitions and EDC may change somewhat.

Comment

• spb1122
                spb1122 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good advice, off topic or not, and thank you for saying it. I consider my self a fairly humble, somewhat wise man, and wholeheartedly agree with everything you wrote . In fact, I started getting hands-on professional training before I ever went shopping for my first handgun. I have a GREAT instructor, I joined a range as a member, and I even took the NRA RSO Certificate class (An NRA class was required for range membership and that class happened to be the next one available at that range). I have NO plan to act as an RSO anywhere, but as a class was required, I figured the RSO class would be informative and helpful, and certainly couldn't hurt. I absolutely plan on continuing with that hands-on professional training.

Buy now. I’ve been accumulating a few over the last few months in different calibers. The one thing in common is that they are all small enough to carry if I choose. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, and the thought of them passing a micro stamping bill will severely limit what guns can be purchased in this state. Look at California as an example. It can happen here, especially if SCOTUS rules in our favor. They may not be able to limit us being able to carry, but they can try to limit what’s available to us in this state.

Comment

Besides SCOTUS case, buy now, dollar is waning in value, everything going up should hav I filled up truck yesterday? Hell yes, lol, and do not forget, Ammo and mags. Buy what you can when you can.

Comment

There’s only 3 things that I feel good about investing in with the economy taking a dump right now. Gold, guns, and ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nontypical View Post
                    There’s only 3 things that I feel good about investing in with the economy taking a dump right now. Gold, guns, and ammo.
                    Fixed it for you.

There’s only 3 things that I feel good about investing in with the economy taking a dump right now. Components, guns, and ammo.

If the economy gets really lousy, you will be able to buy Gold with your stock of bullets and primers. You may not be able to get components for any amount of gold.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport,

Comment

• Nontypical
                      Nontypical commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well unfortunately I can’t invest my IRA into guns, ammo, or components. So that only leaves gold. And yes, components would be an excellent choice as well. And when I said guns, I considered that would include all components of guns. 😁
                      Last edited by Nontypical; 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM.

• LI Ammo
                      LI Ammo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was thinking of reloading when I said components.
                      The most precious metal right now is a lead free copper bullet.
                      Maybe you can invest the IRA in bullets?
                      Start a company that trades in reloading supplies. (Buys and holds, not sells) and buy stock in the company with IRA holdings. We'll have to get an accountant to weigh in on this.

Seems like a no-brainer. Getting a good EDC gun is a win/win situation. If SCOTUS comes through, yes, the demand and prices will probably go up, while supply goes down. And if SCOTUS punts, or if Albany plays games, what's the downside of having an EDC? You may want to get out-of-state CCW's or maybe one day you just need concealable protection, etc.
                    “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
                    Algernon Blackwood

Comment

I'd buy a Glock 43x but that's just me.
                      Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

P365 for the win

Comment

Working...
                        X