Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College point blvd and n. service road, Queens.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College point blvd and n. service road, Queens.

I see this guy there all the time and he has a sign Help a vet, hungry.

I hate scammers. Has anyone seen this guy at the light and how is it possible to find out if he is actually a veteran? He could say his name is Captain Janks from the 35th field artillery unit and I would not know if it was true. (unlikey, Janks is younger) If he is, he is in bad shape and I will hand him a $20 every time I drive by. If he is not, well I will offer some advice.

IMO Don’t give him money
    give him food. Give him gift cards to McDonalds.
    Give him cards to local shelters
    Go to this website, print out the info laminate it and give it to him,
    Veteran or not most likely he’s abusing drugs and/or alcohol and your $20 will simply be used to further his problems not help him

The National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV)
    If you experience difficulties getting results or locating services in your local area, call the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans at 1-800-VET-HELP.

http://nchv.org/index.php/help
    "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

I agree with Aquabach, never give money it will not help.

Comment

Quick story on giving money............I had a business in ENY, Brooklyn. It was about 11:30 in the morning and this guy comes in the store and says he hasnt eaten in days, so I said, I'm ordering lunch now what do you want? He says, never mind and walks out. They're never hungry

Comment

Originally posted by P Martin View Post
          Quick story on giving money............I had a business in ENY, Brooklyn. It was about 11:30 in the morning and this guy comes in the store and says he hasnt eaten in days, so I said, I'm ordering lunch now what do you want? He says, never mind and walks out. They're never hungry
          They all have a story. 99% I believe is bullshit.
          But for the 1% doing it you way is the way to know.

I had a guy come in and say he was out of gas and had no money. He wanted $10 and would leave his jacket.
          He showed me his empty wallet.
          I said it's cold keep your jacket. Give me your license. When you come back with my $10 I'll give you your license back. He said never mind.
          I'm sure the jacket was given to him from someone else.

The interweb is full of similiar stuff Businessman Shames Beggars With Sign After They Refuse His Job Offer
          https://nextshark.com/michael-wooldridge-beggar-shame/

signfeat-e1450120710937.jpg
          An Iowa business man shamed two beggars in front of a Taco Bell with a sign saying they refused his job offer and to not give them any money.

The beggars sat in front of the store with a sign that read, “Broke and hungry. Money please.”

Comment

Ya know .... and this is just me..... I don't recall ever seeing a female veteran panhandler.....

Comment

What I want to know if there's any way to find out if he is really a veteran. Ya'll must have missed that part

Comment

Don't say they're never hungry.. I rarely give them money, but when I offer them what food I may have in the car or offer to buy them something if I'm on the street near a store 3 out of 5 times they truly seem to appreciate it. There was one regular on a street that showed his VA benefit card with the picture, him I gave money at 1st.

Comment

Anyone else see the guy on the SSP/110 south exit - with the "raise the dead" sign? - he claims his deceased daughter is buried in SC, and he needs money to get her moved up here to be closer...

My answer? - Hitchhike down there, it'll be cheaper and warmer.... Now, my cousin bought a house a few years ago and this same twat was living in an old boat tied up to her dock... He got belligerent and threatening when she told him he had to leave... (that doesn't fly with me) well the boat got cut loose and ended up other side of the canal.... it sunk a little later.

There's another I used to see in Manhattan, around 46th st and B'way.... millenial type with orange hair and a little dog - always with a sign begging for dogfood money.

....But he's got money to get his hair coloring done, and he's got a cellphone...

We've got a few local homeless who put in some effort - they'll actually WORK at 7-11 sweeping the lot, emptying trash - all the same I've seen them get into nasty drunk mode

Comment

Lately there’s been a panhandler on the corner of every exit ramp. They all have crutches or some other walking device, but when traffic dies down, they grab their crutches become Fred Astaire, and run to the next location at Mach Jesus.

Comment

There truly is a homeless veterans problem on LI. There has been an improvement but it is still worse than most realize.
                      Unfortunately there are lots of folks out there who claim to be a vet in need to take advantage of the slight bump in most people's compassion for someone who had served.

I prefer to buy a guy a sandwich, a coffee, a sweat shirt or some shoes to giving him cash, YMMV. Legit vet or not, at least it went in his belly or on his back, not in his arm or out of a bottle.

There are countless programs to assist homeless vets with any need they may have, can't lead a horse to water but you can show them where the water is.
                      Suffolk County Veterans Service Agency 631-853-8387 (VETS)

Comment

Originally posted by 100MPG View Post
                        What I want to know if there's any way to find out if he is really a veteran. Ya'll must have missed that part
                        I guess you missed the part where most here think it doesn't matter if he's a veteran or not.
                        Giving him money is a bad idea. Makes the issue rather mute.

But if it really matters to you tell him you'll give him $50 if he shows you his DD214.
                        If he doesn't even know what it is he's not a veteran. You could bring a tape recorder and ask him what unit he was in and where and then research that. I doubt if he is not a veteran he'll give accurate information.
                        If you really want to know start a fight with him and call the cops. When he's fingerprinted it will hit the NAC that he's a veteran.

Comment

Originally posted by crashguy View Post
                          Ya know .... and this is just me..... I don't recall ever seeing a female veteran panhandler.....
                          They are around, there was a regular making the rounds on the E train in Manhattan.

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post
                            Anyone else see the guy on the SSP/110 south exit - with the "raise the dead" sign? - he claims his deceased daughter is buried in SC, and he needs money to get her moved up here to be closer...

My answer? - Hitchhike down there, it'll be cheaper and warmer.... Now, my cousin bought a house a few years ago and this same twat was living in an old boat tied up to her dock... He got belligerent and threatening when she told him he had to leave... (that doesn't fly with me) well the boat got cut loose and ended up other side of the canal.... it sunk a little later.

There's another I used to see in Manhattan, around 46th st and B'way.... millenial type with orange hair and a little dog - always with a sign begging for dogfood money.

....But he's got money to get his hair coloring done, and he's got a cellphone...

We've got a few local homeless who put in some effort - they'll actually WORK at 7-11 sweeping the lot, emptying trash - all the same I've seen them get into nasty drunk mode
                            I see the guy with the orange hair you are talking about. Some times he has a sign that says it is his birthday and other times he clams to be a vet. He also has a black eye from time to time, that makes me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by 100MPG View Post
                              Personally, I'm not sure what you're asking. The only way to see if a stranger is who he says he is is to be versed in that field and ask questions that you already know the answers to. Same for Veterans. If you're not a Vet and don't know the 'talk', you'll have a hard time figuring out if they're legit or not. Someone can tell me they're an Astronaut and I wouldn't know if they're lying or not (actually happened to me - and he wasn't lying!), nor would I know the correct answers to challenge him.

Watch a few of those Stolen Valor YouTube videos and you'll see what I mean. They usually start off with the challenger 'thanking' the imposter for his service, then questioning him on his patches/badges and then get into asking what units, bases, MOS, etc.

A DD214 is pretty well-known, but if he can produce one of those along with his military ID or other photo ID, that's a great start and usually enough if all legit.
                              Last edited by Dan 0351; 11-21-2017, 02:02 PM.
                              No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Working...
                              X