Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College point blvd and n. service road, Queens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P Martin View Post
    Quick story on giving money............I had a business in ENY, Brooklyn. It was about 11:30 in the morning and this guy comes in the store and says he hasnt eaten in days, so I said, I'm ordering lunch now what do you want? He says, never mind and walks out. They're never hungry
    Old joke...a man walks up to an Jewish grandmother on the street and says: Lady, I haven't eaten in 3 days." She replies, "Force yourself."
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." –Thomas B. Reed (1886)

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

I guess you missed the part where most here think it doesn't matter if he's a veteran or not.
      Giving him money is a bad idea. Makes the issue rather mute.

But if it really matters to you tell him you'll give him $50 if he shows you his DD214.
      If he doesn't even know what it is he's not a veteran. You could bring a tape recorder and ask him what unit he was in and where and then research that. I doubt if he is not a veteran he'll give accurate information.
      If you really want to know start a fight with him and call the cops. When he's fingerprinted it will hit the NAC that he's a veteran.
      it does matter, if he is a scammer claiming to be a veteran that served our country and IS NOT, then, that makes him a piece of shit and I will be standing out there with my sign that say dont give this POS any money, he is NOT A VET. Now that I got that off my chest...

The DD214 is some of the info I am looking for. But it is funny, in the same post you sarcastically said I shouldn't give him money and then said give him $50. I lol'ed at that one.

In fact, there is a dilapidated van on the south service road, east of the van wyke/college point blvd, right by the entrance to that cemetery. A few months ago, I saw someone in that van and I think it is his. it is going to be hard to find a reason not to drive out their Thursday morning and see if I can find the guy.

The reason this guy keeps popping up in my mind is, he does not look like a druggie, and does not look like a drunk. He just looks like he has mental issues. A drinker would show signs on his face and this guy has no signs.
      A druggie, well, if that is his van, he would have been arrested by now. So that makes me think he is a vet, the cops know it and cut him some slack and leave him park there. You cannot miss the van if you are getting on the east LIE from the north or south van wyke.
      But I have been wrong before.
      and if he is a Vet, I will do all I can to get him any help he will accept. I have a feeling that might be the tough part. It is also possible that he is a vet and said fuck it all, he don't want any help.
      Last edited by 100MPG; 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Personally, I'm not sure what you're asking. The only way to see if a stranger is who he says he is is to be versed in that field and ask questions that you already know the answers to. Same for Veterans. If you're not a Vet and don't know the 'talk', you'll have a hard time figuring out if they're legit or not. Someone can tell me they're an Astronaut and I wouldn't know if they're lying or not (actually happened to me - and he wasn't lying!), nor would I know the correct answers to challenge him.

Watch a few of those Stolen Valor YouTube videos and you'll see what I mean. They usually start off with the challenger 'thanking' the imposter for his service, then questioning him on his patches/badges and then get into asking what units, bases, MOS, etc.

A DD214 is pretty well-known, but if he can produce one of those along with his military ID or other photo ID, that's a great start and usually enough if all legit.
        that is what I am asking. But I would know if he was an astronaut way before I would know if he was scammer vet.

I have, that's why I am asking if there are simple questions to catch someone. I think that someone that is scamming that way would not do much research.

Comment

Originally posted by 100MPG View Post

it does matter, if he is a scammer claiming to be a veteran that served our country and IS NOT, then, that makes him a piece of shit and I will be standing out there with my sign that say dont give this POS any money, he is NOT A VET. Now that I got that off my chest...

The DD214 is some of the info I am looking for. But it is funny, in the same post you sarcastically said I shouldn't give him money and then said give him $50. I lol'ed at that one.

In fact, there is a dilapidated van on the south service road, east of the van wyke/college point blvd, right by the entrance to that cemetery. A few months ago, I saw someone in that van and I think it is his. it is going to be hard to find a reason not to drive out their Thursday morning and see if I can find the guy.

The reason this guy keeps popping up in my mind is, he does not look like a druggie, and does not look like a drunk. He just looks like he has mental issues. A drinker would show signs on his face and this guy has no signs.
          A druggie, well, if that is his van, he would have been arrested by now. So that makes me think he is a vet, the cops know it and cut him some slack and leave him park there. You cannot miss the van if you are getting on the east LIE from the north or south van wyke.
          and if he is a Vet, I will do all I can to get him any help he will accept. I have a feeling that might be the tough part. It is also possible that he is a vet and said fuck it all, he don't want any help.
          End of day we each let our conscience and our gut guide us on things like this. My guess is there are more posers than real vets out there with signs, not to say there aren't many legit vets too. Like Dan said, if you speak our language you'll know pretty quickly if your being fed bullshit or not.

Careful with the "doesn't look like a druggie" mindset. Even those of us with training don't always know who is using or not. Lots of heroin users out there teaching school and driving buses.

Hey, everyone deserves the dignity of a place to shelter, some are out there by choice and some through legitimate misfortune but the vast majority are because of alcohol or other substances and mental illness.
          I almost always go the food/water/coffee/gift card or clothing route...cash will not be used the way you'd hope it would.

And if your guy turns out to be a poser, he should be outed. I'll go with ya 🇺🇸👍🏼

Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

that is what I am asking. But I would know if he was an astronaut way before I would know if he was scammer vet.

I have, that's why I am asking if there are simple questions to catch someone. I think that someone that is scamming that way would not do much research.
            Float plane pilot in Alaska told me he was a former F/A-18 pilot in the navy. Over ~6 hours in a 6-seat, 1953 Beaver, I asked a bunch of questions. When pressed, he said he flew off "every" aircraft carrier and was stationed at El Toro (a Marine air base in Cali) for a while. I quietly called, "Bullshit" to myself. Later that day we were told he was a Space Shuttle pilot by a co-worker of his......we just laughed it off - until we googled him! Top Gun...test pilot...shuttle pilot.....the Real Deal.

I now give "vets" a wide berth before calling them out! (luckily I didn't call this guy out on it - he was such a cool, laid-back guy, too)
            "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

End of day we each let our conscience and our gut guide us on things like this. My guess is there are more posers than real vets out there with signs, not to say there aren't many legit vets too. Like Dan said, if you speak our language you'll know pretty quickly if your being fed bullshit or not.

Careful with the "doesn't look like a druggie" mindset. Even those of us with training don't always know who is using or not. Lots of heroin users out there teaching school and driving buses.

Hey, everyone deserves the dignity of a place to shelter, some are out there by choice and some through legitimate misfortune but the vast majority are because of alcohol or other substances and mental illness.
              I almost always go the food/water/coffee/gift card or clothing route...cash will not be used the way you'd hope it would.

And if your guy turns out to be a poser, he should be outed. I'll go with ya 🇺🇸👍🏼

Happy Thanksgiving
              yup, did not say that. I said
              A druggie, well, if that is his van, he would have been arrested by now. So that makes me think he is a vet, the cops know it and cut him some slack and leave him park there.
              I am pretty good at filtering through the bullshit, no matter what the situation, but I was born cynical so that helps.

Comment

I was once told to ask their MOS. I believe that in the Navy and AF it's called a rating. Now, being a fat lazy civilian I wouldn't know most of the correct answers but a blank stare or "I didn't have one." Tells you they're probably not a vet. If they say USMC 0351, Dog Handler, you also know they're full of crap. 😃
                "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Could be a Vet.

Could be a Vet that's also a pos.

They're out there.

Paul

Comment

You have difficulty with subtly and irony.
                    of course it’s more difficult in posts then conversation.
                    you asked how you could know.
                    i gave you ways. And yes there was sarcasm.
                    but I did not say GIVE him money.
                    I said OFFER him money for his DD 214..
                    this answer was also in direct answer to your question.
                    My first post was trying to point out why you shouldn’t give him money no matter who he is or what his story is, but for some reason you don’t want to accept it.

do what you want.
                    bit my first post is good advice and it really doesn’t matter if you know because you should NOT give him money to buy drugs and booze. no matter if he’s a vet suffering from PTSD or a POS scumbag liar. The truth is giving him $20 everyday even if he is a MOH recipent is exactly the worst thing you can do.
                    THAT it why it does not matter
                    good luck. Your heart is in the right place but I disagree with what you are focusing on
                    "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Originally posted by Safety42 View Post

I see the guy with the orange hair you are talking about. Some times he has a sign that says it is his birthday and other times he clams to be a vet. He also has a black eye from time to time, that makes me smile.
                      Wow... it's been 2 years maybe since I've seen him.... thought he'd have OD'd by now.

Comment

There truly is a homeless veterans problem on LI. There has been an improvement but it is still worse than most realize.
                        Unfortunately there are lots of folks out there who claim to be a vet in need to take advantage of the slight bump in most people's compassion for someone who had served.

I prefer to buy a guy a sandwich, a coffee, a sweat shirt or some shoes to giving him cash, YMMV. Legit vet or not, at least it went in his belly or on his back, not in his arm or out of a bottle.

There are countless programs to assist homeless vets with any need they may have, can't lead a horse to water but you can show them where the water is.
                        Suffolk County Veterans Service Agency 631-853-8387 (VETS)
                        Well if your offering? I’ll have a turkey club with mayo and Swiss, a Carhart hoodie sweatshirt. And a pair of USA made Chippewa loggers crazy horse brown, 10.5 EEE.

thanks so much!!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post

Well if your offering? I’ll have a turkey club with mayo and Swiss, a Carhart hoodie sweatshirt. And a pair of USA made Chippewa loggers crazy horse brown, 10.5 EEE.

thanks so much!!
                          I have a buddy who gives away NIB boots to vets, last year was 700 pair, goal this year is 900. You want some 10.5's? I'll hook you up 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
                            Your heart is in the right place but I disagree with what you are focusing on
                            it doesn't matter if you disagree, I asked for info on how to find out if someone claiming to be a vet is really a vet and you focused on me saying I would give him 20's. My focus was on finding that info. if you don't have it, thats the end of it. thanks.

Comment

it doesn't matter if you disagree, I asked for info on how to find out if someone claiming to be a vet is really a vet and you focused on me saying I would give him 20's. My focus was on finding that info. if you don't have it, thats the end of it. thanks.
                              So you refuse to even consider honest good advise and for some reason are too angry to listen to the second post which gave you 2 honest ways to get your answer
                              got it,
                              in the future I won’t waste my time on your questions
                              give the guy all the money you want.
                              feel good about helping him get the drugs and booze he wants.
                              SMH
                              Last edited by Aquabach; 11-21-2017, 08:32 PM.
                              "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

I have a buddy who gives away NIB boots to vets, last year was 700 pair, goal this year is 900. You want some 10.5's? I'll hook you up 😁
                                Your friend has a first class ticket to heaven waiting for him at the depot. I’m good thx other wise sarcastic.😀

Comment

Working...
                                X