Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Daughter Wants to Join the Navy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My Daughter Wants to Join the Navy

    My daughter was so moved by the events we did this past Memorial Day Weekend she now wants to join the Navy. She still has a couple of years to decide, but she wants to go the ROTC route for now.

    I would never discourage my daughter, but I concerned because the media regularly runs sensational stories about women being sexual assaulted in the military.

    The Department of Defense issued a report in 2015 stating that there were 6,131 reports of sexual assaults in 2014. Using that number they estimated that there were actually 18,900 sexual assaults (4.3 percent of women and 0.9 percent of men). Below is a link to the report.

    I am aware that sexual assaults go unreported for a lot of reasons, especially in the military. However, I am always suspicious of estimates, and surveys in general.

    I suspect, at worst, the number of sexual assaults in the military is comparable with most U.S. colleges (NOT THAT ANY NUMBER IS ACCEPTABLE). The alleged estimated incidences of college sexual assaults vary greatly, and are often disputed.

    Many civil rights had their early beginnings in the military, and later carried over into the civilian world (ex. Truman desegregated the military).

    Does anyone have any personal experience, or experience via family members, what is like to be a woman in the military?

    http://www.defense.gov/News/News-Tra...itary-in-the-p




    #2
    She may want to look into this. One of the woman I work with's 13 or 14 year old daughter has been in this program for the last 2 years and loves it.
    http://www.seacadets.org/
    Ben

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
      She may want to look into this. One of the woman I work with's 13 or 14 year old daughter has been in this program for the last 2 years and loves it.
      http://www.seacadets.org/
      Thank you. That is awesome.

      I went on their website and see they have units in Farmingdale and Northport.

      Her brothers, who hope to be Eagle Scouts soon, will be jealous.

      Comment


        #4
        Checkout SUNY maritime.. They have a navy rotc and a 5% female 95% male ratio.. Like being in the navy before joining

        fair warning... Most girls go a bit crazy there, or get chewed up and spit out into a regular college

        Comment


        • Mad Russian
          Mad Russian commented
          Editing a comment
          From my kid's experience some of those girls are as tough as nails...

        #5
        Originally posted by Bigrob View Post
        Checkout SUNY maritime.. They have a navy rotc and a 5% female 95% male ratio.. Like being in the navy before joining

        fair warning... Most girls go a bit crazy there, or get chewed up and spit out into a regular college
        Not even on my radar. Thank you. I like that it is a SUNY and it is close.

        Comment


          #6
          Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post

          Not even on my radar. Thank you. I like that it is a SUNY and it is close.
          Any questions ask ahead I am an alumnus..Never heard of a sexual harassment incident at maritime either.

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by Bigrob View Post

            Any questions ask ahead I am an alumnus..Never heard of a sexual harassment incident at maritime either.
            Please don’t post anything which may reflect poorly upon SUNY Maritime, but what did you mean when you said most girls go a bit crazy there?

            Please send me a personal message if necessary.

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
              She may want to look into this. One of the woman I work with's 13 or 14 year old daughter has been in this program for the last 2 years and loves it.
              http://www.seacadets.org/
              I have a nephew in Sea Cadets. He and the other kids love it. Great program

              Comment


                #9
                Why not consider the Naval Academy?

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                  Why not consider the Naval Academy?
                  That would make me extremely proud, and she has the grades, athletics, etc. to do it.

                  I think it has to do with commitment issues which may be resolve. or increase, as time goes by.

                  Someone I mentored is there now studying engineering.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post

                    Please don’t post anything which may reflect poorly upon SUNY Maritime, but what did you mean when you said most girls go a bit crazy there?

                    Please send me a personal message if necessary.

                    What at do think some girls will do in a school where one in a school that is 95% male?

                    Comment


                    • Mad Russian
                      Mad Russian commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Become a lesbian?

                    #12
                    Target rich enviroment??

                    Comment


                      #13
                      Originally posted by Bigrob View Post


                      What at do think some girls will do in a school where one in a school that is 95% male?
                      Not my daughter, but I know what I would do if the ratio was reversed.

                      Comment


                        #14
                        What does she think of possibly serving under Hillary as Commander-In-Chief?
                        Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

                        Comment


                          #15
                          Originally posted by HowardRoark View Post
                          What does she think of possibly serving under Hillary as Commander-In-Chief?
                          She doesn't, and won't.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X